Padayachie talks up broadband in budget vote speech (31 May 2011)

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
nothing to see here. This has been played up in the last ten budget speeches AND in the State of the Nation speeches by the State President as well. We can all safely assume by now that it is nothing but hot air.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Nothing new to see here peeps....

By now its no longer about the talk Mr Pada..... its about the actions that need to happen.

I am intrigued by the mention of Sentech and Ethekwini Municipality..... I would like to know whats on the cards for that.

Beri

Expert Member
Hope they write a article after the speech. will make more sence

burn

Expert Member
I hope Roy knows that he can't just punt forever, we are expecting results sometime :whistling:

Qrox

Expert Member
If they would just stop talking about improvements and start doing something that would already be a plus. Haven't seen any improvements to internet in SA since Mweb through a bomb and caused uncapped prices to go down.
We need another miracle like that.

vielleicht

The time to act is now or to lose the plot completely. There have already been so many wasted opportunities (but at least there are now many incoming international data connections). One should really make the country prosper through ideas: Allowing, fostering and promoting the development of new business ideas, new technologies with the appropriate and affordable infrastructure.

BGE

Expert Member
“In this regard, an initial R450 million, over the MTEF period, has been allocated for the provision of Broadband services. An integrated broadband implementation plan, which will harmonise various broadband related initiatives, will be finalised in the current financial year.”

Clearly Gov has no plans with FTTH, because a R450mil investment isn't going to do much... they obviously still want to utilise Telkom corroded copper network... aaarrrggghhhhh!

TJ99

Honorary Master
Like The King said:

A little less conversation, a little more action..

TJ99

Honorary Master
The time to act is now or to lose the plot completely. There have already been so many wasted opportunities (but at least there are now many incoming international data connections). One should really make the country prosper through ideas: Allowing, fostering and promoting the development of new business ideas, new technologies with the appropriate and affordable infrastructure.

Sorry, i missed this post at first. Have you met the South African Government? What you're suggesting is completely against everything they stand for.

Promoting development is only done if it's done the way they (govt and especially unions) want it and if it can make more cronies rich. New technologies or ideas are an evil which must be rooted out at once, they like it old-school, appearing in person, paper, stamps, lazy officials who take 3 hour lunchbreaks, the works.

Also, they consider 256kbps broadband. So how much do you think they know or care about technology? Read one of the articles about copyright infringement, especially digital downloads, compiled by the mybb staff from interviews with government officials if you want to see how clued-up they are. :D

Little Mac

Honorary Master
So while the rest of the world live in the cloud with cheap connected devices at high speed, Saffers will be crowing about high speed uncapped internet and how they love to download the internet and store it on harddives...

We're getting there people!

Little Mac

Honorary Master
Sorry, i missed this post at first. Have you met the South African Government? What you're suggesting is completely against everything they stand for.

Promoting development is only done if it's done the way they (govt and especially unions) want it and if it can make more cronies rich. New technologies or ideas are an evil which must be rooted out at once, they like it old-school, appearing in person, paper, stamps, lazy officials who take 3 hour lunchbreaks, the works.

Also, they consider 256kbps broadband. So how much do you think they know or care about technology? Read one of the articles about copyright infringement, especially digital downloads, compiled by the mybb staff from interviews with government officials if you want to see how clued-up they are. :D

The Tanzanian government outlawed computers for ages in favour of 'indigenous systems'* and look where they are now.

*foreign hand-me-downss

chris2.0

Dem are big words youse are using minister, here's hoping you have big action planned to follow them up!

Anybody else had to look up MTEF as well? LMGTFY: "Medium-Term Expenditure Framework"

But according to the World Bank "MTEF is a transparent planning and budget formulation process" - guess they haven't done much business in South Africa it seems!