Pakistan tour of South Africa, 2018-19

sand_man

Honorary Master
Doesn't seem like players want to stick around for 5 days anymore.

Big storm coming so might juice up the pitch enough to end it all tomorrow.
I think it might go to 4 days again, but only just, like the 2nd test...

I can see us batting for another hour, hour and a half tomorrow, scoring another 50-80 runs for an overall lead of around 260-290. If Pakistan can bat to a 4th day they could push us close...

I think it might go to 4 days again, but only just, like the 2nd test...

I can see us batting for another hour, hour and a half tomorrow, scoring another 50-80 runs for an overall lead of around 260-290. If Pakistan can bat to a 4th day they could push us close...
Will depend entirely if SA can last till lunch. If not it'll be over tomorrow.

Luke7777

Executive Member
Gotta be the end for tdb. Has had many chances and still only averaging 20.
Remembering this guy after 5 tests averaging 8.14.. Took him 3 years to really cement his place

An ordinary debut in a rain-hit Test in Durban. Kallis lasted just 12 balls for one run in his only innings. His performance in his next few games was hardly a sign of things to come, averaging 8.14 in his first five Tests.

tdb has played only 8, but yes, he doesn't look comfortable (maybe because he's fighting for his place)

tdb.jpg jk01.jpg

Last edited:
Remembering this guy after 5 tests averaging 8.14.. Took him 3 years to really cement his place

An ordinary debut in a rain-hit Test in Durban. Kallis lasted just 12 balls for one run in his only innings. His performance in his next few games was hardly a sign of things to come, averaging 8.14 in his first five Tests.

tdb has played only 8, but yes, he doesn't look comfortable (maybe because he's fighting for his place)

View attachment 602374 View attachment 602376

Kallis was scoring plenty of runs for WP back then, and was an obvious talent if you watched him bat. He also got a 200 when WP toured Australia.

He was bowling at around 145 km/h and taking wickets in those tests and for WP.

He was a great slip fielder.

There was also the small matter of filling Brian Macmillan's shoes, as he was nearing retirement.
Anyone back then could see he was as good as Big Mac, or potentially better.

De Bryn may have potential, but he's absolutely nowhere near Kallis.

Luke7777

Executive Member
Not comparing players... comparing career starts. My point is Kallis was also "no kallis" in the beginning. If someone during '96 '97 decided not to stick with him, we never might have seen the awesome allrounder that is/was JK. TdB wouldn't have been picked if he didn't have the talent. You don't average 45.9 in first class games if you can't play

Yes, he's is struggling at the moment and not in form. Hopefully he'll find form again in the current 4day series. Whether that will be enough to retain his place, only the selctors will know. I really like the look of Hamza.. nice and positive when batting, got a good ball 2nd innings. With Faf back, there is one place less in the middle order... and then you also have the Malan boeties looking for a game :)

stefan9

Executive Member
Kallis was bowling 145 kph, that is what kept him in the side during his struggles. It will be difficult to justify tdb getting another chance above Hamza. Mulder is also fit again . Mulder is especially an enticing option with the tour of India coming. As his bowling allows us to play 2 spinners while keeping a 3 seamer option.

Tdb may yet come good and back into once amla and faf go but for now it will be difficult for him to keep his spot.

Malan brothers are not competing with tdb they are openers and neither are better then either markram nor elgar. Only way they are getting in is with an injury at this stage.

Not comparing players... comparing career starts. My point is Kallis was also "no kallis" in the beginning. If someone during '96 '97 decided not to stick with him, we never might have seen the awesome allrounder that is/was JK. TdB wouldn't have been picked if he didn't have the talent. You don't average 45.9 in first class games if you can't play

Yes, he's is struggling at the moment and not in form. Hopefully he'll find form again in the current 4day series. Whether that will be enough to retain his place, only the selctors will know. I really like the look of Hamza.. nice and positive when batting, got a good ball 2nd innings. With Faf back, there is one place less in the middle order... and then you also have the Malan boeties looking for a game :)
Sorry to point this out. But you are not comparing career starts. You're comparing players.

There are hundreds of career nobodies you could have compared TDB with other than the one guy that ended up being one of the world's best. Any comparison of career start Stats could be a sample of the last ten right hand debutants, or number 5 SA batsman or anything really.

Poor Kallis' career start stats are used by just about every guy that's starting his career poorly or middlingly, that they could become the next world's best batsman. You guys are what made him pull his hair out.