Panasonic Lumix FZ300 & FZ1000

roLLz

Hi all

I'm currently considering purchasing one of these mighty fine superzooms.
The difference in price is quite substantial although the 1 inch sensor in the FZ1000 is very tempting when combined with its ability to shoot 4k video and high speed video at 120fps for those amazingly smooth slow motion shots.
That being said the FZ300 is also really well spec'd and the f2.8 constant through the zoom range is a nice feature to have making the camera more useful in a wider range of everyday lighting situations. The FZ300 also seems to have a better focal length than the FZ1000.

My question to the experienced photographers is this: Do the benefits gained in the FZ1000 outweigh the additional cost? Or would an enthusiast like me be just as happy with the FZ300?

Secondly, where the hell can I buy these cameras online or in a store? I cant seem to find many places that keep them.

Would really appreciate your input here.

Thanks in advance guys.

jostian

Short answer, the Fz1000 is great but not worth the extra cost, about double the price. I know New World in Menlyn have the FZ1000 (about 13k) in good light the IQ difference will be minimal, if you want to get and idea got to dpreview.com find the review of one then in drop down go to studio test scene and compare IQ at various ISO's that may help to.

roLLz

Short answer, the Fz1000 is great but not worth the extra cost, about double the price. I know New World in Menlyn have the FZ1000 (about 13k) in good light the IQ difference will be minimal, if you want to get and idea got to dpreview.com find the review of one then in drop down go to studio test scene and compare IQ at various ISO's that may help to.
Thanks for the input. How much of a difference will the 1 inch sensor make over the 1/2.3 in the FZ300 in terms of image quality? I do quite a bit of photo editing on the side and am looking at a camera that will give me the flexibility without the complication and cost of carrying around 3 different lenses with a dslr.

Camera Warehouse lists both of these: http://www.camera-warehouse.co.za/cameras/digital-compact-zoom-bridging/panasonic.html.

As far as which one is best - your post puts the emphasis on the video capabilities. Will this be your main priority or will it be photography instead?
Well it will mainly be used for stills although I would definitely make use of the video capabilities on a regular basis. Essentially looking for something that gives me a little bit of both worlds while not carrying the complication and cost of a dslr in terms of lenses.
I do see the FZ300 does shoot 1080p @ 60fps which is sufficient for my needs although the 4k and 120fps on the FZ1000 are nice to haves.

jostian

IQ wise the FZ1000 will b a bit better but check out https://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM and select the 2 cameras and then scroll down to the still life options and select a low iso and higher iso shot from each (once page opens click on the photo to open it up at full res) and check the diffs, I'm sure it'll help.

roLLz

IQ wise the FZ1000 will b a bit better but check out https://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM and select the 2 cameras and then scroll down to the still life options and select a low iso and higher iso shot from each (once page opens click on the photo to open it up at full res) and check the diffs, I'm sure it'll help.
Thanks jostian. Thats a really cool resource. The sensor in the FZ1000 performs really well although the FZ300 isn't too shabby either.