Panel discussion: the internet of things – hype or real?

rpm

Admin
Staff member
Panel discussion: the internet of things – hype or real?

The internet of things – are all the great things we read about real or hype? Can this be compared to when cloud appeared on the scene, and everything changed to xxx in the cloud? We invited some industry experts to discuss a number of questions that are commonly asked.

rrh

Expert Member
In a replay of the Betamax/VHS fiasco [currently] most every IoT manufacturer defines their own data exchange standard.

One is [currently] therefore faced with selecting a manufacturer and hoping like hell that they will deliver everything that you [will] want in an intelligent home.

Given that this will never happen - I built and programmed my own intelligent home ten years ago so have some idea of what is involved - one is left with the only alternative: wait until all units speak the same language ... :(

Which won't happen in the next year or three.

So I call BS

Compton_effect

Honorary Master
Its a buzzword - like 'The Cloud'. Almost 90% of people using the term has no idea what it really is about. And if asked 'Why?' will not have a decent answer.
Granted- it is a concept that's time is coming. Look at Industry 4.0 - the modern concept of Cyber Physical Production. But it is just part of the next industrial and social revolution. You have to throw in some more buzzwords like 'Deep Learning' to see where it can go in the next 10 years.

There are six Industry 4.0 design principles. These design principles support companies in identifying and implementing Industry 4.0 scenarios.

Interoperability: the ability of cyber-physical systems (i.e. workpiece carriers, assembly stations and products), humans and Smart Factories to connect and communicate with each other via the Internet of Things and the Internet of Services

Virtualization: a virtual copy of the Smart Factory which is created by linking sensor data (from monitoring physical processes) with virtual plant models and simulation models

Decentralization: the ability of cyber-physical systems within Smart Factories to make decisions on their own

Real-Time Capability: the capability to collect and analyse data and provide the derived insights immediately

Service Orientation: offering of services (of cyber-physical systems, humans or Smart Factories) via the Internet of Services

Modularity: flexible adaptation of Smart Factories to changing requirements by replacing or expanding individual modules

Compton_effect

Honorary Master
In a replay of the Betamax/VHS fiasco [currently] most every IoT manufacturer defines their own data exchange standard.

One is [currently] therefore faced with selecting a manufacturer and hoping like hell that they will deliver everything that you [will] want in an intelligent home.

Given that this will never happen - I built and programmed my own intelligent home ten years ago so have some idea of what is involved - one is left with the only alternative: wait until all units speak the same language ... :(

Which won't happen in the next year or three.

So I call BS
Fun fact - One theory for the Betamax/VHS competition was that the eventual 'winner' (Just like Blue Ray and HD DVD) can be attributed to the US Adult Industry. In the late 70's they decided as a group to standardize on VHS, and the same happened with BlueRay.