Parents fume as black and white grade R children are 'separated' in North West classroom

daveza

Honorary Master
https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/south-africa/2019-01-09-parents-fume-as-black-and-white-grade-r-children-are-seemingly-separated-in-north-west-classroom/

1547038728780.png

The mother of a grade R learner from Laerskool Schweizer-Reneke in the North West is fuming after a picture showed her child and three other black children sitting separately from the white children in their class.

The picture was shared on the school's WhatsApp group by the children's class teacher.

"This was meant to be an exciting day for me but it's not," said the parent.

The mother, who is not being named to protect the identity of her child, told TimesLIVE that her child's first day in grade R had initially started off smoothly.

She and other parents dropped their children off and were asked to leave the school premises.

At 9am, they received an update from the children's teacher on how their day was going via the WhatsApp group.

The picture showed the 18 white learners in the classroom all occupying a single large desk in the middle of the classroom, while the four black children in the class occupied one desk in a corner at the far end of the classroom.

"All I saw was messages from the white parents saying 'dankie, dankie' ['thank you, thank you' on the WhatsApp group] but no one was saying anything about the separation of the learners," said the fuming mother.

She said after discussing this with another parent outside of the WhatsApp group, that parent contacted the school principal to ask about the seating arrangements

TimesLIVE was told that the principal said she was not aware of the situation. The school is being contacted and this article will be updated once its response is obtained.

Sometimes you just want to take people and shake them until all the stupid falls out.

Social media schyte-storm in 3, 2, 1 ...

UrBaN963

Honorary Master
Like honestly this is just looking for kak. The ONLY reason I can think of, is if there was some translation factor necessary. But if that's the case, there should be a seperate classroom or school for whatever language is needed.

Ghoster79

Maybe the white parents didn't comment negatively, because they didn't see colour and all the kids were the same to them

konfab

Honorary Master
I would've bet on it taking at least 2 pages before someone whipped up the courage to try and defend something like this. 4 minutes must be a record of some kind.
I have no idea what happened. What I said is well within the realms of probability though. Which is all we have to go on.

Unless of course you have evidence that there was actual unfair discrimination going on?

Pitbull

Verboten

thechamp

Honorary Master
Maybe the white parents didn't comment negatively, because they didn't see colour and all the kids were the same to them
Maybe the teacher who separated them also did not see colour and all the kids were the same to them.

Temujin

Executive Member
The mother of a grade R learner from Laerskool Schweizer-Reneke in the North West is fuming after a picture showed her child and three other black children sitting separately from the white children in their class
In other news the mother of a grade R learner from Laerskool Schweizer-Reneke in the North West is fuming after a picture showed her child and sixteen other white children sitting separately from the black children in their class:whistling:

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Ahhh I see they let Mcebo out of his cage to make an idiot of himself again in the article...

EADC

Expert Member
Reading the heading I suspected it's probably because of language Afrikaans/English.

Seeing the photo, I just shake my head in shame...
So if you English you get banished to be almost out the door? Yoh

Remind me not to visit there.