Parents fume as black and white grade R children are 'separated' in North West classroom

Why does this matter ? In fact, since when is Zulu the primary language in South Africa ?
All things equal South Africa should have only english first language schools at least that would prepare every kid to have basic english education. If they want to learn other languages or their home language at school they can take it as secondary.

Catering for all our language at a primary language will cause division in schools and isolation in school where you are forced to attend based on the decided primary language even if that is not your home language.

In short, keep home language out of school. Standardize and get use to learning english as a primary language in school. This will put every student on level playing field from grade R upwards.

The only kids who would have a slight advantage is native english speaking kids but considering the population of english speaking citizens(home language) is in the low 5% then it would suggest the other 95% (all the black languages, afrikaans, hindu, arabic, you name it) would all be on same learning platform from day 1, no one with an advantage over the other.
The last 20 or so posts though me a lot about South Africa. Now I understand why things are sooo messed up.
@John Tempus I hope your are not serious because if you are and if enough South Africans think that way, than SA is really a hopeless case.
I always though that whites were the ones forcing blacks to speak an European language. How wrong I was. Clearly, some Africans are not proud of their culture. Of who they are. Their heritage. OMG If that's the case, South Africa has much bigger issues than load shedding and rampant crime and corruption. #SoSad

The last 20 or so posts though me a lot about South Africa. Now I understand why things are sooo messed up.
@John Tempus I hope your are not serious because if you are and if enough South Africans think that way, than SA is really a hopeless case.
I always though that whites were the ones forcing blacks to speak an European language. How wrong I was. Clearly, some Africans are not proud of their culture. Of who they are. Their heritage. OMG If that's the case, South Africa has much bigger issues than load shedding and rampant crime and corruption. #SoSad
Why wouldn't I be serious ?

Do you think SA can equally provide quality teachers and quality schools all focusing on a different primary language ? It is not economically feasible nor will it offer top teachers for all of the seperate languages if they were to be primary languages used i every class at the specific school.

If english is primary language in all school, it creates a level education where quality teachers would not be prevented from teaching at some specific schools just cause they dont speak Xhosa,Zulu, or whatever other language.

Guess what, there is a good reason why english is such a prominent language in the western world. Having one core language makes communication much easier than having 300 languages that you might see in places like India.

One language in class = better education = everyone wins.

If you think this is extreme you have not thought about all the benefits to this. This would not prevent students from taking other language classes they prefer but lets be honest with each other , your home language wont simply die if you dont hear it all the time at school. I am completely afrikaans at home but in my profession and everyday life outside home I use 99% of the time english for a reason.

Sollie

Expert Member
Thanks. Brilliant article tbh. It shows how facts were twisted then published without being verified. Example:
The wall of silence was finally broken, it seemed, in an article by News24 headlined More tension as parents and security guards clash outside Laerskool Schweizer-Reneke. The journalist described the “pandemonium” on Monday afternoon, the 14th of January, after “security guards and parents clashed”. A man, Thami Moremi, had arrived to collect his niece, who was in Grade R, but the security guards the school had employed had turned him away. Moremi, was then reportedly joined by “other parents” in “hurling insults at the guards and accusing them of being racists”. The journalist quoted Moremi at length, and his utterances were also filmed and widely disseminated in the English-language press:

"I am coming back with more people in a minibus taxi. You are racists. I am bringing more people here. I will teach you a lesson. I have a child here. You come with sh*t.”
"We don't want to see you here again. You are full of apartheid. We want the department to employ a black principal, we are tired of white people."

"This school is full racists. I am asking the minister and MEC for education to shut down this school until all racists are gone. White people are not asked to explain themselves when they arrive at the school to fetch their children.”
Here at last was a clear cut case of both an angry ‘parent’ and gross racial discrimination at the school. Netwerk24 went one step further in its reporting and actually interviewed the mother of the child involved. She was distraught. It turned out that Moremi was an EFF member and he had falsely claimed her daughter as his own child when she went to pick her up, in an effort to gain access to the school property. Near to tears, she told the publication: “My child cries when she can’t come to school, she is very happy here. The school is not racist, black and white children are not kept apart from each other.”

Sollie

Expert Member
I believe it would be appropriate to have a law that no political party should trsspass on a school while school is in progress. Oh wait - we have it! What now?

I hope we see an attempted kidnapping charge against Thami Moremi. But oh wait ...

It does not help we have laws that aren't enforced. It does not help that we have standards of journalism that is not enforced ...