Parking in front of garage

patrick

Expert Member
Get a clamp, a sign notifying of a x amount unclamping fee, and a motorbike so you can go about your day. I think the unclamping fees will pay for your bike :)

Gnome

Executive Member
Parking in a spot which inconveniences someone is far less of a "crime" than vandalism.

So when random people park overnight in front of your garage, strangers you don't know, you call it inconvenience?

Also do you even live in Cape Town? Parking outside in Cape Town, I give you a 100% guarantee, in writing, your car will get broken into. That is a fact. Everyone who parks in the street in Cape Town has had their cars broken into at some point.

Every night your cars spends outside means another night you have to worry that you are going to be the lucky contender who will wake up to a smashed window.

So when someone parks in front of my garage they are doing far more than inconveniencing me.

chrisc

Honorary Master
I have this with a block of flats in Exner Road in Vredehoiek. I put a sign on all 4 garage doors to the effect that blockers would be clamped. We then painted yellow lines from the building to the street. The first week we clamped 11 cars, the second 10, the third 5 and so on until today, 10 months later, there is no trouble. WE just waited until the clamped car owner left and took it off. Several called the cops, who were most unsympathetic towards the owners

I am not sure it is legal though. We took care to only clamp cars who transgressed more than once, obviously someone in the area. Took pics of every one. One owner in a Polo was clamped 8 times

DSC110098.jpg

d7e7r7

Executive Member
I have this with a block of flats in Exner Road in Vredehoiek. I put a sign on all 4 garage doors to the effect that blockers would be clamped. We then painted yellow lines from the building to the street. The first week we clamped 11 cars, the second 10, the third 5 and so on until today, 10 months later, there is no trouble. WE just waited until the clamped car owner left and took it off. Several called the cops, who were most unsympathetic towards the owners

I am not sure it is legal though. We took care to only clamp cars who transgressed more than once, obviously someone in the area. Took pics of every one. One owner in a Polo was clamped 8 times

Did you charge the people to remove the clamp?

Gnome

Executive Member
One owner in a Polo was clamped 8 times

That is my problem with Cape Town (City Bowl). So many self centred pr!cks, they will do their best to "spite" someone whom they think "did them in" even if it is way worse for them.

haroldhp

That is my problem with Cape Town (City Bowl). So many self centred pr!cks, they will do their best to "spite" someone whom they think "did them in" even if it is way worse for them.
I live in Woodstock, so I know exactly what you talking about, a guy whom we warned at least 3 times for parking in front of my garage decided to park in front of my garage again yesterday, and then I deflated the tyre :) then about 3 hours later 2 females come out that work with the guy and verbally abuses me for deflating the wheel and doesn't listen to anything I tell them

PseuDohNom

Oh, I'm so sorry. I was supposed to pick up that strip of nails from my driveway yesterday, but I forgot.

It seems to be stuck down too. That's a pity. If it was just a loose nail, it would still be in your tyre and it probably wouldn't have gone flat.

• Haha
Reactions: Pax

ele33

Expert Member
I live in Woodstock, so I know exactly what you talking about, a guy whom we warned at least 3 times for parking in front of my garage decided to park in front of my garage again yesterday, and then I deflated the tyre :) then about 3 hours later 2 females come out that work with the guy and verbally abuses me for deflating the wheel and doesn't listen to anything I tell them
How did they know it was you?

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Nothing like some butter on the windscreen to get the message across without leaving real damage.

But doesn’t help if it’s a different culprit every time.

Alternatively, move to the North where there is space to park for everyone.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
All those recommending damage be done to the perpetrators vehicles do realise you are as bad as them, in fact, in the eyes of the law, you'd be worse than them. Parking in a spot which inconveniences someone is far less of a "crime" than vandalism.

It’s your (private) property someone vandalised with their property.

For that matter you could claim they gifted it to you by parking it on your property.

PseuDohNom

Nothing like some butter on the windscreen to get the message across without leaving real damage.

But doesn’t help if it’s a different culprit every time.

Alternatively, move to the North where there is space to park for everyone.
Stork or Rama please ser. Let's be civil.

RiaX

Executive Member
Get that thing that takes the valve out of the tyre. And take all 4 out. Can't inflate that.

No serious damage done but one big headache for the driver

chrisc

Honorary Master
My opposite neighbour is a very nervous driver and simply cannot reverse out her driveway if there is a car parked on my verge but close to her drive. The road is 8m wide

After a bit of nagging, I got Council Roads to paint a red line 10m long in the space she needs to reverse out

It works well. No more shouting at me to get visitors cars moved

Corelli

Expert Member
So I live in Cape Town Gardens area and many of the people have the tendency to just park in front of my garage like it is completely acceptable.

The garage entrances aren't directly on the street, so they actually park off street, right there in front of the garage. Some come in at an angle and block multiple garages.

Now I don't know where these folks live (densely populated area obviously). And many times they'll park there for hours.

Worse, the street still has plenty of parking, so it isn't like they had no choice.

What is my recourse here?

Call the police? Break their windows, hand brake down? etc?
1st dont damage the car. Then you are legally at fault, even if its deflating their car.

Call the traffic department or a towing company and have their car towed. Put up a sign saying its a tow away area. People would be less eager to park there then.

Corelli

Expert Member
Scratch the side of the car with your key, works best.
Legally you would be at fault for vehicle damage and they can hold both a criminal charge of malicious damage to property and claim from your insurance which your insurance would reject and you have to pay. Can be easily 10k depending on the vehicle.

Corelli

Expert Member
Get that thing that takes the valve out of the tyre. And take all 4 out. Can't inflate that.

No serious damage done but one big headache for the driver
Still malicious damage to property, this is a criminal charge. The police will come with a fingerprint kit and dust the vehicle for prints.