Parliament approves bill that criminalises hate speech & hate crimes

Currantly

Expert Member
CAPE TOWN - Five years since first being introduced, Parliament has approved a bill that will criminalise hate speech and hate crimes.

On Tuesday, the National Assembly agreed to largely technical amendments made to the bill by the National Council of Provinces (NCOP), including a reduction in the prison term for such crimes from eight to five years.

But not all parties were in favour of the bill, believing that it would stifle the freedom of speech and expression.

Linky

Anything is hate speech and racism. Lmao. Jail for you!
Yeah, so saying anything bad about the cANCer will probably be first up for prosecution.
That's my guess.
Doesn't seem to phase the forum's owners though.

The best way is to do what the Chinese do- use codewords that only people in the know, know about. That way the guavament can't understand what's being said

I have a sense of the anc shooting itself in the foot here.

Need to read through the "Act" but if there is no colour mentioned then the enforcement will include black on white racism equally to white on black for example.

Need to read through the "Act" but if there is no colour mentioned then the enforcement will include black on white racism equally to white on black for example.
Nope, the black-on-colour cases will simply not be prosecuted or dockets will vanish but when it's the other way around the ANC will waste no time to make an example of the person.

Nope, the black-on-colour cases will simply not be prosecuted or dockets will vanish but when it's the other way around the ANC will waste no time to make an example of the person.
So nothing changes

"It does not contain a definition of hate as well as the non-sensical and self-defeating nature of the clauses that pretends to protect the rights of academics, journalists, artists and religious groups."

Huge red flags here.

1 - Without defining what hate is, it leaves things open to subjective decisions. Concerningly, in the current climate, prevailing political narratives will also dictate what is and isn't hate speech. Example: ''Black people are monkeys'' = racist and hate speech, while ''Kill the boer, kill the farmer'' = figurative and taken out of context.
2 - The ANC is increasingly aligning itself with governments like China, Russia and Iran, and we all know how journalists and academics are treated in those countries if they criticise the government. This is a warning that government is taking steps to begin muzzling the press and silencing dissent.

Last edited:

No it won't, the NPA has to bring the case to court first and they're as impartial as the sahrc.

Back