Parliament gives Eskom 90 days to finish racism probe of De Ruyter

Hanno Labuschagne

MyBroadband
Staff member
Super Moderator
Parliament gives Eskom 90 days to finish racism probe of De Ruyter

Parliament’s Standing Committee on Public Accounts (SCOPA) has suspended its inquiry into allegations of racism and impropriety against Eskom CEO Andre De Ruyter.

These accusations were brought to the committee by Eskom’s suspended chief procurement officer Solly Tshitangano, who was booted from the utility after he apparently failed to deliver on key performance areas.

These included not curbing spending and allowing a contentious contract with Eskom fuel supplier Econ Oil to continue, despite an investigation by Bowmans recommending the immediate suspension of business dealings with the company.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Wait thought parliament was suspended during this State of Disaster? So why would they be able to pull this?

Neuk_

Expert Member
I have been trying to figure out why Eskom has stopped paying some suppliers and stopped ordering kit they forecasted and contracted to order. It seems the knock on effects of all the shenanigans at Eskom may get worse long before they get any better.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Wait thought parliament was suspended during this State of Disaster? So why would they be able to pull this?
They were fully operational just recently with the Mkhwebane issue, what gave you the idea that parliament was suspended? Did NDZ say something?

Lupus

Honorary Master
They were fully operational just recently with the Mkhwebane issue, what gave you the idea that parliament was suspended? Did NDZ say something?
Though the whole state of disaster stopped them.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Though the whole state of disaster stopped them.
I think it was more about them not having ideas on how to carry on with their business as soon as they figure that one out it was all systems go, it also look like there's more progress during the state of Disaster.

Herr der Verboten

Executive Member
giphy_s.gif

Johand

Expert Member
All I can say is that Mr De Ruyter is as tough as nails to stay in that job. Never mind corporate politics, he also has to deal with actual politics.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
I have been trying to figure out why Eskom has stopped paying some suppliers and stopped ordering kit they forecasted and contracted to order. It seems the knock on effects of all the shenanigans at Eskom may get worse long before they get any better.
I'm guessing that's personal experience or where is this from?

Neuk_

Expert Member
Connected Cadres?

Not even close, 35 year old company that has supplied local and overseas mines, water works, municipalities, power producers, power distributors with local and imported medium voltage electrical engineering equipment like liquid starters, mobile substations, switchgear, circuit breakers, vacuum contactors, auto reclosers and power factor correction.

Creag

The Boar's Rock
Eskom has been given 90 days to conclude its probe and report back to SCOPA on its findings.
As it should. No point in dragging this out of 3+ years.

Paul_S

Expert Member

At least something positive is being done about the blatant corruption and theft.
I'd rather have some legitimate supply chain businesses feel a bit of pain for a short while than have the entire middle class and tax payers proping up the patronage and theft networks indefinitely through electricity tariff increases and tax payer bailouts.

RedViking

Nord of the South
All I can say is that Mr De Ruyter is as tough as nails to stay in that job. Never mind corporate politics, he also has to deal with actual politics.
Or he just loves money and is willing to do anything to fill his pot.

abzob

Honorary Master
Not even close, 35 year old company that has supplied local and overseas mines, water works, municipalities, power producers, power distributors with local and imported medium voltage electrical engineering equipment like liquid starters, mobile substations, switchgear, circuit breakers, vacuum contactors, auto reclosers and power factor correction.

How are they getting business with Eskom then? That goes against everything we’ve learnt here.