Part of Cell C head office up for rent

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Part of Cell C head office up for rent

Parts of Cell C’s head office in Midrand, which boasts a customer walk-in centre, an IT centre, warehouse facilities and office space, is for rent.

The Cell C campus was developed by Atterbury, with construction starting in July 2012 after an official sod-turning ceremony with former Cell C CEO Alan Knott-Craig.

quax

I wonder what the future holds for large corporate office renting... I think lots of companies have realised that remote working does in actual fact work. Bum on chair != productivity, only the output of the individual summarises their productivity.

neoprema

Executive Member
I wonder what the future holds for large corporate office renting... I think lots of companies have realised that remote working does in actual fact work. Bum on chair != productivity, only the output of the individual summarises their productivity.
Dont agree with this, I've found productivity at our company to be the lowest in 2020 than it ever was. And people were working, but distractions and especially children being the major cause of constant interruptions. I've had many staff ask to go back to the office.

Randux

Expert Member
They really wanted and tried to be Vodacom and they failed.

Zukat

Expert Member
CellC is a business version of a low income family winning a lotto. Spent the money on bunch of nonsense and back to where they started...

^^vampire^^

Expert Member

Dont agree with this, I've found productivity at our company to be the lowest in 2020 than it ever was. And people were working, but distractions and especially children being the major cause of constant interruptions. I've had many staff ask to go back to the office.

Living in Australia (Victoria specifically) our cases are really low. We were case free for 2 months end of last year. For most employees it was back to work yesterday and while 50% or so of workers are still working from home while people are still scared of getting infected, people will mostly be back in the office by end of March. Working in software dev should be a prime job for work from home (which I have been doing for 2 years now). I'm currently looking for another job and I can tell you there is very little favour for people working from home, increased productivity or not. Linkedin research backs this up; there results show only about 4% of employers willing to continue with remote working.

My theory when everyone started banging on about WFH is the future was that there is a whole host of useless middle management whose jobs revolve around being able to watch you so they look busy and so they would lead the charge for getting everyone back to the office. Whether the middle management part is actually correct I don't know but everyone is slowly being forced back to the office regardless.
The primary job seeking website here (seek.com.au) has added a section for "Work From Home" and 98%-99% of these ads state WFH now, back in office after covid. Most, if not all truly work from home ads have been posted by companies that already allowed remote work prior to covid, and covid has changed nothing.

I surmise that the only reason this still seems like a potential reality in SA is because the amount of infected is huge and rising massively and so it makes sense to keep people at home until a vaccine is rolled out. Segregation and social distancing isn't an option in SA because there are too many people living on top of one another with no education and no access to understandable info and so there is no other way to defeat the virus there but to admin medicines. Once SA eventually manages to control covid you'll all be back in the office, so don't invest too much in that home office just yet.

Sodan

Expert Member
Most, if not all truly work from home ads have been posted by companies that already allowed remote work prior to covid, and covid has changed nothing.

I surmise that the only reason this still seems like a potential reality in SA is because the amount of infected is huge and rising massively and so it makes sense to keep people at home until a vaccine is rolled out. Segregation and social distancing isn't an option in SA because there are too many people living on top of one another with no education and no access to understandable info and so there is no other way to defeat the virus there but to admin medicines. Once SA eventually manages to control covid you'll all be back in the office, so don't invest too much in that home office just yet.

This is so true. The shift from work-at-the-office to work-from-home, in many cases, requires a shift from extrinsic to intrinsic motivation, which in some ways is a shift from a focus on management to a focus on leadership. We tend to have bad to moderate management, and little to no leadership.

The_MAC

Executive Member
For WFH to work long-term, you need a hybrid model, and unfortunately a little more micro-management.

Not all job types are suited for it, and unfortunately not all company cultures allow for it to work well..

RandomGeek

Expert Member
A bad time to be in Commercial Real estate. Companies' need for space is decreasing (work from home + retrenching) and that wont be changing in the foreseeable future

boboudts

With all that bling and fancy architecture, its no small wonder they have gone tits-up!

Ninja'd

A Djinn
The Cell C campus was developed by Atterbury, with construction starting in July 2012 after an official sod-turning ceremony with former Cell C CEO Alan Knott-Craig.

Poor sod, whoever he is. Even the bosses came to see him get turned.