Patent attorney believes Starlink cut off Starsat Africa customers because it broke Starlink's terms and conditions

mylesillidge

Journalist
Why Starlink cut off hundreds of South African users

Starlink's blocking of accounts that led to hundreds of customers in South Africa losing Internet access was likely due to a company reselling the SpaceX offering against its terms of service.

That is according to patent attorney Wessel van Wyk of the patent, copyright, and trademark law firm Smit & Van Wyk.

Patent attorney believes Starlink cut off Starsat Africa customers because it broke Starlink's terms and conditions

Starlink's blocking of accounts that led to hundreds of customers in South Africa losing Internet access was likely due to a company reselling the SpaceX offering against its terms of service.
What does that mean?

What does that mean?
Starlink deals directly with end customers. While authorised resellers may provide the kits the accounts have to be opened and managed by individuals.

Basically the same article as when this happened. My point about the rinse and repeat on mybb. I'm surprised we haven't seen another budget speech article this morning detailing again how fuel and excise duties are going up.

The issue here is that the Starlink product has not yet gone through the telecoms type approval process in SA. All communications must be done via Telkkm SA labs and then licensing aporoval by ICASA. There is no easy ride on this one. Every reseller also needs to get a ICASA licence for Satelite operations. I don't think Mr Musk want yo take a chance to just dump the product in SA by transgression of the televommunications laws of this country.

The issue here is that the Starlink product has not yet gone through the telecoms type approval process in SA. All communications must be done via Telkkm SA labs and then licensing aporoval by ICASA. There is no easy ride on this one. Every reseller also needs to get a ICASA licence for Satelite operations. I don't think Mr Musk want yo take a chance to just dump the product in SA by transgression of the televommunications laws of this country.
No, that's not the issue here.
He doesn't care - Starlink are not selling these to South Africans via South African channels. The issue is, as already stated, the reseller is doing things against Starlink's T's & C's.

That's what I going to say its the same article just with extra steps.

Starlink deals directly with end customers. While authorised resellers may provide the kits the accounts have to be opened and managed by individuals.

Basically the same article as when this happened. My point about the rinse and repeat on mybb. I'm surprised we haven't seen another budget speech article this morning detailing again how fuel and excise duties are going up.

Back