Patrons turned away from Spur at V&A as employees call out abuse

Currantly

Expert Member
Cape Town - Patrons were turned away by Spurs employees at the V&A Waterfront yesterday.

The employees at the Santa Anna Spur blocked the entrance to the eatery in protest over ill treatment from management.

The workers allege that they do not get payslips, don’t get leave days, when they work overtime and when they have to clock out, they are told not to because it has already been done for them which then leaves them with no record of working overtime among other grievances.

Nomsa Madondile, who has been working at the restaurant for 23 years, said things completely changed from what they used to be.

“We used to have a standard salary back in the day, now we only work 22 hours per week which has cut our salaries big time,” she said.

She said their employer does not even want to apply for Temporary Employee/Employer Relief Scheme (Ters) on their behalf.

Linky

ForceFate

Honorary Master
The workers allege that they do not get payslips, don’t get leave days, when they work overtime and when they have to clock out, they are told not to because it has already been done for them which then leaves them with no record of working overtime among other grievances.
They must visit dept of labour offices. They act swiftly when it comes to cases like this.

MirageF1

Executive Member
Allege.

Ok fine, many things are alleged, proving them quite a different story

Sollie

Honorary Master
“We used to have a standard salary back in the day, now we only work 22 hours per week which has cut our salaries big time,” she said.
“We are overworked and have to work under pressure especially when the shop is busy, customers complain all the time we understand but we can’t do everything and it is not like we are giving bad service intentionally,” he said

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Only if the accusations are true. It would be suicidal for the business to flout labour laws, the dept of labour are quick to act based on a friend that owns a major pub/restaurant franchise.
My post is based on 3 cases I know details of. It involved employees not being paid their full wages for 3 months, despite going to work as per their contracts and contracts that were in contravention of labour laws as well as company not honouring certain parts of their contracts.

ponder

Honorary Master
My post is based on 3 cases I know details of. It involved employees not being paid their full wages for 3 months, despite going to work as per their contracts and contracts that were in contravention of labour laws as well as company not honouring certain parts of their contracts.

If a business is in the wrong they will get nailed.

d0b33

Honorary Master
Worker abuse is not cool. But the last time I ate at that spur (years ago) I got sick. Never going there again.

cr@zydude

Executive Member
Only if the accusations are true. It would be suicidal for the business to flout labour laws, the dept of labour are quick to act based on a friend that owns a major pub/restaurant franchise.

I've seen more than my share of dodgy labour practice at different companies over the years.