Pay R3m or retract! Scare for Joburg dad who accused Spar of hiking prices

TelkomUseless

Executive Member
They wont be closed, if they can prove they didn't price hike. But let's be honest here, retailers and other stores are known to over charge customers on products during the year. Takealot and other online stores are known to put out prices, that should not be the price of that particular item. Many instances, where people have pointed out the sudden increase on an item ie masks and santisers, and nobody has sent lawyers letters etc
Price hikes for essential services.
But I like what the Spar guy did. Zero proof..zero sympathy.

Jase

Executive Member
In case this hasn't been posted.

From the article...

He told TimesLIVE he was willing to close the matter and not pursue the damages claim, provided Mohammed made a public apology “on the same forum as the original posting”.

Mohammed complied late Monday.

DreamKing

Executive Member
I won't buy anything from spar in the future because of the bully tactic.

even what he said is BS, spar shouldn't do such thing to any person.

disgusting.

ambroseg1

Honorary Master
Everyone thinks immediately that because the guy backed down so quickly he was lying. He was bullied. Knew he didn't have hundreds of thousands laying around for a lawyer and just folded. He actually did what any reasonable person would do instead of trying to defend himself against a business that could ruin his life just for spite. He got scared and probably rightfully so, irrespective if he was telling the truth or not.

Nick333

Honorary Master
Well done Sandeep Desai you dumb ****, now you will lose even more money.

The guy should have sued him in turn for the fraudulent claims of losing R3 million because of his singular Facebook post.
They aren't claiming R3m in losses, they're claiming R3m for losses and reputational damages as per the article.

It doesn't seem unreasonable to me. A 10% loss of custom could quite easily translate to a R3m loss of income in a relatively short period of time for a retail store I would imagine.

Daruk

Honorary Master
Biggest thing that drew my attention is the delivery of the letter from the attorney via Facebook Messenger. Is this a legit way of serving a letter of demand now?
Facebook "Attorney"
Wouldn't it be funny if the attorney letter was fudged.

Jase

Executive Member
99% of FB posts are BS if you believe what is posted.

I do know an idiot who takes it as gospel.
Stupidity seems to be rampant.
I've ended up blocking a number of people on FB including family members for crap posting on a daily basis.

Arthur

Honorary Master
Not a chance he would have made a mill a day. I'm assuming that Spar is not a big store?
In these sorts of cases there's an initial assessment of the possible losses not just over the 3 days but in the future as well, which could run into years of lost business. For exactly the same reason that if someone wrongfully causes you physical injury the claim is not just for the immediate medical expenses but also for future expenses (ie losses) including loss of income in the future.

Of course a lawyer's letter is just a notice of intent to start legal proceedings. The court will make its own assessment, and the usual tests of evidence apply there.

Vis1/0N

Expert Member
I am still pissed that in the days preceding the lockdown I went to Shoprite and grabbed 10Kg rice and paid about R110 for it. If I had shopped around first I would have learnt that it was R87-R95 at the various other stores in my area, which included PicnPay and Spar.

I don't know what Shoprite's regular price range on the rice is, but I felt exploited. I also wanted to post and shame them. The rice is of poor quality as well, and I looked at the packing date. If it is too be believed it turns out it was packed on 20/03/2020 - I purchased it the next day. For all I know Shoprite had priced it according to their supplier whose stock (in the surge of demand) amounted to little more than sweepings.

So even hard proof may be unfair on a retailer.

j4ck455

Executive Member
So if I go online and complain about the prices will I get sued for 3 mil?

View attachment 818609
No, don't complain about the prices, rather complain that Spar's non-traditional Hot Cross Bums (or is it Buns) look like **** compared to Pick n Pay's traditional Hot Cross Buns and they are made by an actual baker that isn't excessively overpaid.

noxibox

Honorary Master
Businesses do bully people even when they make accurate and truthful claims. They know the average person can't afford even the initial legal costs, never mind fighting it out in court. So they make threats. Seen it many times and invariably the person backs down because they could lose at best a substantial amount of money, at worst everything.

Price hikes for essential services.
But I like what the Spar guy did. Zero proof..zero sympathy.
Like his claim about the store losing R3 million due to the statement? Can the owner prove that?

So if I go online and complain about the prices will I get sued for 3 mil?

View attachment 818609
Wow, that is a rip-off. Twice the price and they look utterly pathetic too.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Businesses do bully people even when they make accurate and truthful claims. They know the average person can't afford even the initial legal costs, never mind fighting it out in court. So they make threats. Seen it many times and invariably the person backs down because they could lose at best a substantial amount of money, at worst everything.

Like his claim about the store losing R3 million due to the statement? Can the owner prove that?

Wow, that is a rip-off. Twice the price and they look utterly pathetic too.
Yeah R27 for 2 trays/12 buns which have risen pretty nicely compared to the R29.99 for small dense buns not risen at all.

Sad part is I bought them at Spar but then they just did not look good so I drove to PnP to buy theirs and what a difference not only in price.