Pay-TV pricing in SA: TopTV versus DStv

Bighit

Expert Member
So DSTV compact is cheaper then Top TV's equivalent package by R20 and Compact has a better spread of channels?

Fox1

Executive Member
So DSTV compact is cheaper then Top TV's equivalent package by R20 and Compact has a better spread of channels?

Not entirely true. There's no history, engineering, travel channels and "newish" movie channels on Compact.

AirWolf

Honorary Master
Would be nice if the variety of channels on each package was included, and not just the number of channels.

Durandal

Expert Member
The 2011 figure in the first table for Select is incorrect - it's correct in the second table.

AirWolf

Honorary Master
If you could select your channels individually for like R50 each and get the junk ones thrown in for free, they'd make way more revenue from the Supersport channels.

entrepr

Expert Member
DSTV Premium pricing is insidious (to my mind), and the article clearly highlights the monopoly condition - no competition in this category - that enables them to actually be able to inflate their prices above the costs of hardware and global content.

The Rat

Banned
DSTV Premium pricing is insidious (to my mind), and the article clearly highlights the monopoly condition - no competition in this category - that enables them to actually be able to inflate their prices above the costs of hardware and global content.

Agree, this will be my last year of DSTV, I refuse to pay any more than I am now for an ever deteriorating quality of programming. Will just use the DSTV subscription to increase my ADSL Line speed. Will be perfect for studying as well.

Bighit

Expert Member
Doesn't help to moan about DSTV, people have been doing that for years and they just increase prices year after year. The moaning will fall on deaf ears, if you can't afford it, then cancel.

Cost Conscious

One thing I would have been curious to see is the prevailing (average) inflation rate in each of the years compared, alongside the % increase in the subscription.

I'm guessing we would see above inflation increases in most years?

Vlad

it would be interesting to see how increasing access to bandwidth affects satellite TV. i haven't had DSTV now for 2 years and don't miss it at all. i get all my content online, and watch supersport via mweb using a friend's account who doesn't have adsl anyway.. not saying there is no need or value in satellite TV, i just can't justify the current cost of the premium package to myself. and let's face, the premium DSTV package is the only one that has the goodies...

dkhaley

Looking at the DSTV Prices overtime, this is the average annual premium increase:

DSTV Premium: 6.17%
DSTV Compact: 5.44%
DSTV Select: 3.09%

I imagine the price increases are due to both inflation and increases in programming content.

Saajid

Expert Member
I'm currently on DSTV compact, and both wifey and me watch zero sport. I'm considering switching over to Top TV - which package would you guys recommend??

Content I enjoy: nature, science, engineering, technology, documentaries, sci-fi, action, comedy
Content she enjoys: fashion, food, cooking, celebrity stuff, comedy, action

Do you think it's worth switching to Top TV? The DSTV EPG is driving me crazy. It takes forever to display the channel info.

ColinR

Expert Member
I'm currently on DSTV compact, and both wifey and me watch zero sport. I'm considering switching over to Top TV - which package would you guys recommend??

Content I enjoy: nature, science, engineering, technology, documentaries, sci-fi, action, comedy
Content she enjoys: fashion, food, cooking, celebrity stuff, comedy, action

Do you think it's worth switching to Top TV? The DSTV EPG is driving me crazy. It takes forever to display the channel info.

It'll be worth your while, at least for a few months, then if/once you find the content is repeating, switch back to Compact for a few months.

Creag

The Boar's Rock

Big difference in quality of programming. I think on same price Top TV gives better value.

ooogz

Expert Member
Big difference in quality of programming. I think on same price Top TV gives better value.

Hmmm really? im just wondering bec.im bout to get dstv compact or top tv.
Im leaning towards top tv but my gfriend is nagging for dstv.
Im little confused.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using MyBroadband Android App