Paying someone else's American Express card

reedOsama

Hi,

I'm looking to pay off someone's American Express debt, I don't trust them to make the payment if I send the money to them.

Is there an account I can send money to pay off the account, without having to have an American Express card myself?

Thanks

ChilliGirl

PopCornPeddler
Hi,

I'm looking to pay off someone's American Express debt, I don't trust them to make the payment if I send the money to them.

Is there an account I can send money to pay off the account, without having to have an American Express card myself?

Thanks
Ask them for their cardnumber and their bank name/brand.

Then ask the bank how you can sort it out.
Then you use the card number as account number.

But do remember if the people have a valid card then the people can still go on a spending spree.

Asgard85

I think you are a better person than I am. This is very noble of you, but if I was in the same position where I didn't trust the recipient of my generosity to do what they are supposed to with my money I would question whether I should be paying their debt off for them at all. Do you trust that they will not simply rack up more debt once you have paid it down and end up at square 1?

reedOsama

Ask them for their cardnumber and their bank name/brand.

Then ask the bank how you can sort it out.
Then you use the card number as account number.

But do remember if the people have a valid card then the people can still go on a spending spree.
Hmm, so Standard Bank would be able to help?

I have all the person's American Express account details and their Standard Bank details

smc

If you call American Express, get through to the payments area, they will give you details for a EFT.

Honey Badger

Honorary Master
Yeah, it should be Nedbank.

Though, I don't quite understand what OP is trying to do. You don't have the mandate to ask Nebank to close the account, which means as soon as you've paid the card, the person can start using that line of credit again.

3lOH55A

Expert Member
Chose public recipient when making a payment. Search for American Express. Use the card number as the recipient reference.