PayPal and International Purchases

justblazethe1st

Okay quick questions, i'm going to be buying something on alibaba and i have an option to use paypal and since i have like $50 in there i might as well use it.

My question is when it comes down to sending invoice to the courier guys for customs clearance am i going to have a problem?

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Okay quick questions, i'm going to be buying something on alibaba and i have an option to use paypal and since i have like $50 in there i might as well use it.

My question is when it comes down to sending invoice to the courier guys for customs clearance am i going to have a problem?

Invoice is issued by the supplier.

How you paid for it is irrelevant.

However, last I recall Alibaba didn't allow PayPal Wallet purchases, might be wrong though.

justblazethe1st

Invoice is issued by the supplier.

How you paid for it is irrelevant.

However, last I recall Alibaba didn't allow PayPal Wallet purchases, might be wrong though.

Hey Bud thanks for that

Some suppliers allow PayPal transactions. The only reason I ask is because I have been told we are not allowed to buy or transfer money on PayPal in SA and I really dont want issues with SARS when my package arrives

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Hey Bud thanks for that

Some suppliers allow PayPal transactions. The only reason I ask is because I have been told we are not allowed to buy or transfer money on PayPal in SA and I really dont want issues with SARS when my package arrives

Meh although they say that there is very little checking in place.

Have done it many times in the last few years since they started it.

What I mean with Alibaba not supporting PayPal Wallet is that sometimes stores don't let you pay from the existing balance and want you to do the whole thing to your CC in one go. Hopefully that's not the case for you here.

It's unlikely they'll even mention Paypal on the invoice.

justblazethe1st

Meh although they say that there is very little checking in place.

Have done it many times in the last few years since they started it.

What I mean with Alibaba not supporting PayPal Wallet is that sometimes stores don't let you pay from the existing balance and want you to do the whole thing to your CC in one go. Hopefully that's not the case for you here.

It's unlikely they'll even mention Paypal on the invoice.

Okay yeah i see what you saying,

luckily not, the guy popped me 2 emails that seem to have come from paypal that say view and pay invoice, and from what i know if anything goes wrong i can always get my money back from paypal.

the problem now is that he was sent me 2, half the price each, the one shows my order and shipping and the other shows outstanding amount. he says they will submit the one for invoice so i pay less customs fee's but i have told them to rather not because i dont want to be hit with a penalty so hopefully i will get the proper invoice later and then lets see if i have any issues.

thanks again for the help bud

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Okay yeah i see what you saying,

luckily not, the guy popped me 2 emails that seem to have come from paypal that say view and pay invoice, and from what i know if anything goes wrong i can always get my money back from paypal.

the problem now is that he was sent me 2, half the price each, the one shows my order and shipping and the other shows outstanding amount. he says they will submit the one for invoice so i pay less customs fee's but i have told them to rather not because i dont want to be hit with a penalty so hopefully i will get the proper invoice later and then lets see if i have any issues.

thanks again for the help bud

Yeah same reason I always use PayPal where I can.

If there is any problem they fight the fight for you and refund accordingly.

shearder

No you wont have issues. They must declare the correct value as the invoice of the fines is like R1800 or something. I haven't had any issues ever

justblazethe1st

Just out of curiosity do people get away with these suppliers making invoices lower to help with customs fees? I've always just asked the supplier to not worry about doing that cause I get to paranoid but like if I could give a middle finger to any part of the government and get away with it I'm soooooo in

shearder

Just out of curiosity do people get away with these suppliers making invoices lower to help with customs fees? I've always just asked the supplier to not worry about doing that cause I get to paranoid but like if I could give a middle finger to any part of the government and get away with it I'm soooooo in
Sometimes they do. But customs can be clever and asked for proof of payment AND the invoice and you get caught out. It's not worth the trouble because even on a $5 item the fine is the same and its fraud