Paypal

James

Expert Member
I have a paypal account connected to my british bank account but what i wanna know has anyone here found a way to get money into your overseas bank account or even better, to use PayPal with a South African account. I use ebay a fair deal and you NEED paypal unfortunatly.

Any solutions

Goobie

Expert Member
The only way I could get money into my American bank account was to wire it to an American friend (as a "gift") and ask him to transfer it to my account, if I remember correctly the maximum per person per year is R15000 that you are allowed to transfer out to one individual. SA banks won't transfer money from an SA account to an overseas account holder if that account holder is a South African. Or that is the story they told me. How they will know who is South African and who's not, I don't know!

Gaz{M}

Expert Member
I know it is SO irritating because many websites use paypal and as South Africans, Paypal doesn't support us. I actually emailed them and they responded by saying that Paypal used to support SA, but because of circumstances beyond their control, they no longer do. Must be government policy or something. The only solution is to get hold of people when they come to SA for a holiday and give them a wad of cash to deposit when they get home...

skuzzy

Expert Member
Why dont they just bring pay-pal to africa
-.-.-.-.-.-
they probably see how corrupt our government is :(

nOhIwAy

Paypal will not work with south african banks or cc from SA.

Use an overseas account 4 pp.

Open a separate local account and send the card
to a trusted buddy on the other side.
As you fill locally your buddy empties on the other side.

nuyork

Expert Member
I've e-mailed PayPal many times and asked them about South African support. The first time I asked was a few years ago and they replied they are investigating. Then the second time I asked they said the exact same thing as stated above "Paypal used to support SA, but because of circumstances beyond their control, they no longer do."

So I'm forced to do all my eBay transactions by money order, which ultimately means that I can only deal with eBay customers in the US who will ship internationally.

:L:

mbs

Expert Member
Has anybody ever asked them exactly what those 'circumstances beyond their control' actually are? If it's a fiscal regulatory issue here, or unacceptable transactional conditions imposed consequent to collusionary intent by the banks, this is another case for consumer activism, surely? Would the Paypal prospective clients please investigate further with them?

ipodmusicman

I've tried e-mailing PayPal many times and I get the same response over and over again. It is definitely a template response that some idiot at their customer care sends all the time. I've tried to ask for a human explanation, but to no avil. We deserve a detailed explanation from PayPal.

Myrrdin

Expert Member
http://www.ja.axxs.net/unlock/purchasing_a_key.htm

If you are in South Africa, don't bother doing any of the procedures on this web site.

Neither PayPal or Western Union will accept your payment, initially I thought it strange, but now I understand that PayPal and Western Union have good reasons for not accepting payment from South Africa..

Your banks are blatant crooks, they will take money from you and agree to send your payment then they send about half of the agreed amount, when confronted they say they will fix it, sorry, it was a mistake etc, but they do nothing, crooks!.

I supplied my last free passwords to a South African citizen on 19 May 2003, I will not do any more. -SUBJECT CLOSED

Diago

To my knowledge the reason PayPal does not support SA is due to the exchange controls in place within SA. Having a British g/f and a british address solved my PayPal issues and transfers are done through a friend who has an international bank account. Hoping to have mine up soon.

martin

Expert Member
pyrit said:
I've tried e-mailing PayPal many times and I get the same response over and over again. It is definitely a template response that some idiot at their customer care sends all the time. I've tried to ask for a human explanation, but to no avil. We deserve a detailed explanation from PayPal.
Same here, I got the canned response each time and on two occasions no response at all. Paypal doesn't care and it doesn't seem like there's much we can do about it.