PC gaming is still dominant in SA

Bradley Prior

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
PC gaming is still dominant in SA

PC gaming is still king in South Africa, according to the results of the MyBroadband 2019 Gaming Survey.

1,787 readers took part in the survey, the majority of whom worked in the ICT sector or were tech-savvy individuals.

beans100

Honorary Master
Huh, so there is people spending more than R500 a month on games. Thought it was a trick question. With all the AAA freebies and good bundle specials going round, wonder who would want to spend more than that a month.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Games just feel so much more natural on PC in my opinion. I really, really wish I didn't need to use consoles to play AAA exclusives. It would be so nice if Nintendo and Sony had Stadia-like services that can be streamed on any device. Flippen hate the reduced graphics, texture pop-in, lower resolution, lower framerate and using a controller when a mouse and keyboard would be vastly superior.

Also, PSA: if you haven't bought the awesome new Humble Monthly, get it now: https://www.humblebundle.com/monthly

Swa

Honorary Master
Not representative of the majority.

Huh, so there is people spending more than R500 a month on games. Thought it was a trick question. With all the AAA freebies and good bundle specials going round, wonder who would want to spend more than that a month.
It's games and hardware.

Dan C

Honorary Master
Building a gaming PC is much more fun than buying a console from Pick and Pay.

tRoN

Executive Member
What would the price of an entry level gaming PC be excl display?

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
What would the price of an entry level gaming PC be excl display?
Very few people buy a PC only to play games on, so that's not usually the right question.

It's more a case of the difference between what you would have spent anyway on a PC and what it takes to have a PC that's good for gaming.

For gaming at 1080p, pretty much any mid-range PC can max most games out with 60fps if you just add a half-decent graphics card. You can buy a good secondhand one pretty cheaply at Carbonite, along with anything else you might need.

Example: took a few seconds to find a Gigabyte GTX 1070 for R2.9k.

Something like that would breeze through 1080p.

ponder

Honorary Master
Results are not indicative of the average SA population. MyBB has an outlying high tech subscriber base which will skew results towards PC users. There are definitely more console gamers in SA than PC gamer.

That said Long Live The PC Master Race!

Lupus

Honorary Master
I play on both my Xbox and the PC, different style of games generally. Though I am enjoying Gears on my PC, seems they fixed the mouse and keyboard, was doing Horde on the weekend and I was actually in the top 3 more consistently than I used to be on the console :)

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Last Gen everybody and their dig had a PS3 or XB 360, this generation is almost over and I can count the number of people I know personally who actually invested in a current gen console on one hand.

Interestingly I know quiet a few people wanting to buy a console over that past year you wanted to buy the console thinking the price will eventually go down to the same levels they were towards the end of the previous gens life cycle.