PC sales slow down

Hanno Labuschagne

Journalist
Staff member
PC sales slow down

Computer sales grew at the slowest rate since the start of the pandemic due to component shortages and logistics snarls, according to the latest report by IDC.

The key U.S. market shrunk for the first time since sales cratered in the first quarter of 2020 with the coronavirus outbreak, the market researcher said.

Shipments there fell 7.5% in the third quarter of 2021 relative to the prior year, whereas the industry recorded overall growth of 3.9%. Apple Inc., whose supply chain is among the most resilient, saw 10% annual growth while Dell Technologies Inc. marked a 27% jump with the help of momentum in developing markets, IDC said.

[Bloomberg]

FaSMaN

Expert Member
There was a surge when the pandemic just started as more and more people had to work from home, its only logical that it will decrease again.

MightyQuin

Not amused...
There's fukkall to sell.

I am now starting to fulfill orders that were placed by clients in March...

Lupus

Honorary Master
There was a surge when the pandemic just started as more and more people had to work from home, its only logical that it will decrease again.
Nope it's because the bright sparks didn't realise that you close factories for months on end won't cause a backlog of other parts.

The_David

“We are seeing some vendors reprioritize shipments amongst various markets, allowing emerging markets to maintain growth momentum while some mature markets begin to slow.”

So is South Africa considered an Emerging market or a mature one?

UrBaN963

Honorary Master
I haven't been buying much recently, but that's pretty much because my PC is now at a point where it's fairly balanced and any upgrades would be getting into the overpriced 4K tier stuff.

justplain

Expert Member
Well Windows 11 is going to change that.... because many capable PC's wont be allowed Win11 due to MS's hardware requirements.
Perhaps this slump in sales of new hardware will get MS to rethink their Win11 requirement list.....