PC vs PS4 Pro - The best option for gamers in SA

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
PC vs PS4 Pro - The best option for gamers in SA

While many major games release across multiple platforms, the experience on different hardware can differ drastically.

This is most notable when comparing the gaming experience on PC versus modern consoles; controls are extremely different, distribution platforms vary wildly, and graphical fidelity can differ greatly depending on the PC's system.

Solitude

Expert Member
Also if you are going to go that route, why not compare the XBox One X too? I mean, then you can get Game Pass and have access to a lot of great game titles.

Stevewarren

No keyboard and mouse in the price list for the PC and the games prices aren't much cheaper. You can make back and save a lot by selling and buying second hand. In fact gaming on console is much cheaper that way.

D swart

Should have made a comparison with the Xbox One X aswell. Not just PS4 pro.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
There are many issues with this article.

#1 - The cost of the gaming PC is nonsense. You have to also factor what someone would otherwise spend on a new PC, because a gaming PC is also a PC. R7k console cost + R5k for a potato PC makes your budget for a gaming PC at least R12k. If you already have a nice PC then the only cost is a better graphics card. Not to mention that loads and loads of indie titles can be played with minimal horsepower and don't require the purchase of anything new.

#2 - The cost of games is dramatically different. PC gamers can use Xbox PC Game Pass and/or Humble Monthly to play loads of great games for cheap. They can also buy many games at a big discount on sites like CDKeys and during the frequent Steam/GOG/GMG etc. sales. You seldom need to spend more than R600 on a AAA preorder if you feel so inclined. PC pulls miles ahead in the value game if you are going to play lots of stuff. PlayStation Plus is expensive and usually has rubbish games included.

#3 - Not including Xbox One is madness. The Xbox Game Pass Ultimate subscription is insane value: R200pm for Xbox Game Pass, Xbox PC Game Pass and Xbox Live Gold. It's so many games that you can happily not buy anything else and have loads of epic games. This is an especially good option if you have kids who want to play.

#4 - None of this costing/logic means a damn thing if a particular platform simply suits someone better. PC will probably always be the platform I game on 99% of the time. For me, my PS4 Pro is purely for PlayStation exclusives and the Xbox One S will always be a kids gaming and Blu-ray machine. Countless gamers can't tolerate gaming at a desk and prefer a controller in their hands and sitting on the couch. Others just want to play handheld Nintendo games. Each to their own.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
No keyboard and mouse in the price list for the PC and the games prices aren't much cheaper. You can make back and save a lot by selling and buying second hand. In fact gaming on console is much cheaper that way.
We're not counting the fact that you already need a basic PC for most things, unless laptop of course.

Then steam sales, and all the f2p games, lots don't spend a cent on games on PC.

Stevewarren

Another problem with getting a low to mid range PC now is it will struggle when the next gen consoles come out but that also stands for getting a PS4 pro or Xbox X too.

SpliceGold

Also if you are going to go that route, why not compare the XBox One X too? I mean, then you can get Game Pass and have access to a lot of great game titles.
Only thing I hate about xbox is having to pay for xbox live. For me I just have a few games I love playing and the Game Pass is not for me.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
My 1080Ti is getting very little use since I bought a console.

Playing on a console in the living room with a 65" inch OLED TV + Surround Sound > Sitting in my office at a desk.
My main TV is a 4K QLED 65". Doesn't make a difference imo for gaming. Still feels too far away when I'm on the couch, and the couch really can't get much closer without looking silly.

By comparison, the 46" Samsung LED I use as a monitor looks fantastic up close. Games are so much more immersive to me at my desk, and I can appreciate every detail. Maybe you just need a comfy chair.

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
My main TV is a 4K QLED 65". Doesn't make a difference imo for gaming. Still feels too far away when I'm on the couch, and the couch really can't get much closer without looking silly.

By comparison, the 46" Samsung LED I use as a monitor looks fantastic up close. Games are so much more immersive to me at my desk, and I can appreciate every detail. Maybe you just need a comfy chair.
I sit up close when gaming. HDR also works way better on console than on PC at the moment.

I do miss the higher frame rates, I sometimes fire up the HTPC in the living room and set it to 1080p@120 on the OLED which is pure joy, though the HTPC only has a GTX1060.

Dolby

Honorary Master
My main TV is a 4K QLED 65". Doesn't make a difference imo for gaming. Still feels too far away when I'm on the couch
I sit on the coffee table a metre away from the TV when I play my sniper game. I want to see individual pixels moving across the screen!

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Always a pain in the butt for me, something forever needs user intervention with a keyboard or not all games support gamepads fully. I just have an easier time on a console these days.
Wouldn't all the games that have controller support on your console have it on PC? Do you use an Xbox controller?

ponder

Honorary Master
I tried playing a few games with a controller the other day, NYET!