• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Samsung Pay Giveaway - Win a Samsung Connect & Control Speaker and other prizes. Enter Here.
  • Audi e-tron Giveaway - Win prizes worth R3,000 Enter Here.

Pedestrian mowed down by taxi driving in the wrong lane

konfab

Honorary Master
Weird how people react. At 0:15 you can see he is in the middle of the road, then when he sees the taxi he jumps in front of it.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Well he was looking down the road... the direction one expects the traffic to come from.

The reason we teach kids to look right, then left then right again is that when standing on the pavement you are able to check the traffic in both lanes before crossing. Of all the people to blame it is definitely not the poor guy who got hit by a moving vehicle.
But then I guess we live in the wild west and I guess victim blaming is also a fun pastime.

Let's be honest here for a second.

We all see this daily and nothing is being done. All it took was one guy posting a video of him blocking a taxi on his motorcycle and go viral. Now all of a sudden the focus is on these cnuts driving like they want and a law onto themselves.

I see this every day to and from work.

Worst part is other road users are joining them.

Sums the country up. People do what they want and eventually even those that towed the line just throw the towel in.
And in a massive majority it's black drivers.

R13...

Honorary Master
Weird how people react. At 0:15 you can see he is in the middle of the road, then when he sees the taxi he jumps in front of it.
I don't see that, perhaps he was trying to jump across as he knew there were cars behind him.

Black drivers are in a massive majority, so probably.

My wife is whiter than a Sandanavian and she is a crap driver. I **** myself when I drive with her.
It's not the driver's skill that is in question here. It's the complete lack of road rules.

Nonsense, I see all hues joining them.
I never claimed only black people are doing this, so no idea what nonsense you are trying to highlight. I said, the VAST MAJORITY doing this are black drivers. First the taxi goes and then everyone falls in. I would guess at about 1/20 is a driver of another skin colour.

eg2505

Honorary Master
its actually worse now, as many people that spent their lives driving in taxis, now get a car, and drive their car like a taxi.

gives credence to the fact that one learns road manners by who you saw driving mostly when you were younger.
so if you "imprinted" on a taxi, chances are you will drive like a taxi with your own car.
if you "imprinted" on "grandad" you'll still drive 70 in the fast lane and hog up the road.
if you "imprinted" on your boy racer brother/sister/uncle/aunt, chances are you will drive that way when you get a car of your own.

I think road rules and respect for them forms the first time you traveling in a vehicle.
whether that's in a bus or car, taxi or motorbike.

R13...

Honorary Master
I never claimed only black people are doing this, so no idea what nonsense you are trying to highlight. I said, the VAST MAJORITY doing this are black drivers. First the taxi goes and then everyone falls in. I would guess at about 1/20 is a driver of another skin colour.
My personal experience is the opposite of yours. I didn't say that because I didn't want to use anecdotal evidence.

thestaggy

Honorary Master
its actually worse now, as many people that spent their lives driving in taxis, now get a car, and drive their car like a taxi.

gives credence to the fact that one learns road manners by who you saw driving mostly when you were younger.
I see ''Learner Driver'' cars changing lanes without indicating, taking gaps in intersections (going through on red, preempting the green, gunning it on amber) and driving down the wrong side of the road. That's the instructor at the wheel. Tells you all you need to know.

My personal experience is the opposite of yours. I didn't say that because I didn't want to use anecdotal evidence.
I can record my commute and prove it if you like?

The problem with the specific section it's happening now is it's patrolled by metro so not happing

eg2505

Honorary Master
I see ''Learner Driver'' cars changing lanes without indicating, taking gaps in intersections and driving down the wrong side of the road. That's the instructor at the wheel. Tells you all you need to know.
correct, if you use the broken K53 system and train taxi drivers to drive like taxi drivers do,
then obviously your going to impart that knowledge to others, hence "imprint" them.

same thing if you spent your entire life driving in a taxi as a passenger, and seeing them use the emergency lane as a personal lane,
when you'll get a car, you'll do the same, even though its illegal.

R13...

Honorary Master
I can record my commute and prove it if you like?

The problem with the specific section it's happening now is it's patrolled by metro so not happing
My point is it all depends on the where and when. Nearly all the stop sign skippers in my areas are white - but I think that's just because there are more of them in cars in the area, it doesn't mean I can draw conclusions. SA drivers in general are kark drivers. There are those road side crosses of white people who got killed in accidents, again means f'all. Just that we're terrible, impatient, angry people the lot of us.

thestaggy

Honorary Master
My point is it all depends on the where and when. Nearly all the stop sign skippers in my areas are white - but I think that's just because there are more of them in cars in the area, it doesn't mean I can draw conclusions. SA drivers in general are kark drivers. There are those road side crosses of white people who got killed in accidents, again means f'all. Just that we're terrible, impatient, angry people the lot of us.
Don't give us all the credit. There is also a complete lack of law enforcement, so folks just flat-out do what they want because they can.

Sipho drives down the wrong side of the road because nobody stops him and Piet illegally dumps building rubble in the veld because nobody stops him either. Eventually everybody is just doing what they want because the other guy does it and viola, you have South Africa 2018.

K@k attitudes yes, but nobody is keeping us in line either.

Last edited:

eg2505

Honorary Master
I disagree there, in your area, who are the majority of drivers? bad drivers?
then they will impart bad manners and respect for road rules to anybody they teach or travel with.

simple fact, bad drivers spread bad driving habits