Pedestrian mowed down by taxi driving in the wrong lane

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I dislike having meetings in Cape Town in the early mornings, any place beyond the R300 towards the CoCT. When taxis start to speed down the yellow lane with the everyday driver in their pursuit being completely ignorant about any other road user. Then lo and behold, a cop is parked in the yellow lane… like hitting a sudden iceberg with every road abuser trying to get back into the legal lane.

D4N

Expert Member
South African drivers are getting worse by the day. Count how many cars go through after a light turns red. In a few years we will just be as bad as Moz drivers.

Cr419

Executive Member
and with green robots at intersections - *unts come roaring through red lights!! and not just taxis!!
This arse tried to do just that a few minutes ago, AFTER the cars going the other way already started moving, almost plowed through them. Preceded to drive at a snails pace after this.
IMG_20181011_140236.jpg

My point is it all depends on the where and when. Nearly all the stop sign skippers in my areas are white - but I think that's just because there are more of them in cars in the area, it doesn't mean I can draw conclusions. SA drivers in general are kark drivers. There are those road side crosses of white people who got killed in accidents, again means f'all. Just that we're terrible, impatient, angry people the lot of us.
No agreed, just sharing my observation. Doesn't have to count for everyone :)

reactor_sa

Executive Member
Saw a couple bakkies driving on the wrong side of Marlborough drive yesterday, didn't seem too bothered by the oncoming traffic. Don't worry, I won't mention race.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
My point is it all depends on the where and when. Nearly all the stop sign skippers in my areas are white - but I think that's just because there are more of them in cars in the area, it doesn't mean I can draw conclusions. SA drivers in general are kark drivers. There are those road side crosses of white people who got killed in accidents, again means f'all. Just that we're terrible, impatient, angry people the lot of us.
Others take to the shoulder/pavements/grassy strips close to the road in their Ford Rangers and kitted up Toyota Hilux'es, sending pedestrians scampering in all directions.

Flarsiep

Ignoring Taxi for a moment, can't say enough about their driving...
The crappy driving that I see lately is going over red lights, up one ways, dropping kids off in the road instead of parking lot, not stopping at stop sign.
And it is roughly 70/30 split of 40+ white men and young white woman.
Black people around my area tend to be nervous and very cautious drivers.

ambroseg1

Executive Member
South African drivers are getting worse by the day. Count how many cars go through after a light turns red. In a few years we will just be as bad as Moz drivers.
I have learnt that you never just drive over a green robot anymore. You slow down and make sure it is safe to do so, just like a yield sign. Green is yield. Red and orange both mean stop in my books. Orange is however more stop if you can safely.

thestaggy

Honorary Master
Ignoring Taxi for a moment, can't say enough about their driving...
The crappy driving that I see lately is going over red lights, up one ways, dropping kids off in the road instead of parking lot, not stopping at stop sign.
And it is roughly 70/30 split of 40+ white men and young white woman.
Black people around my area tend to be nervous and very cautious drivers.
Siting in the middle lane travelling 10 - 20 km/h under the speed limit?:whistling:

thestaggy

Honorary Master
Speed limit is not the target.
How it should be;

Left lane = cruising lane
Middle lane = overtaking lane
Right lane = overtake everybody lane

That's the UK model our roads are were based on.

How it works in SA;

Left lane = slow lane
Middle lane = cruising lane
Right lane = German sedans

Either way, a middle-lane hogger is stuffing up the flow of traffic in both instances and likely causing congestion in both the left and middle lanes.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
How it should be;

Left lane = cruising lane
Middle lane = overtaking lane
Right lane = overtake everybody lane

That's the UK model our roads are were based on.

How it works in SA;

Left lane = slow lane
Middle lane = cruising lane
Right lane = German sedans/DC's/large SUV's/motorbikes.

Either way, a middle-lane hogger is stuffing up the flow of traffic in both instances and likely causing congestion in both the left and middle lanes.
Additions to how it works.

DMNknight

Expert Member
Speed limit is not the target.

/popcorn
Incorrect. If you read the rules of the road, the overarching sentiment is to avoid becoming an obstruction or blockage to traffic.
Everything is centered at keeping a safe and continuous flow of traffic.
The logic is fairly simple. If everything is moving in the same direction at the same speed, then there won't be any collisions.

Slow vehicles are the cause of accidents just as much as fast vehicles are.

Therefore, if traffic in your lane is doing the speed limit, then you are required to keep up, or join a lane that is doing your speed.

buyeye

Expert Member
Incorrect. If you read the rules of the road, the overarching sentiment is to avoid becoming an obstruction or blockage to traffic.
Everything is centered at keeping a safe and continuous flow of traffic.
The logic is fairly simple. If everything is moving in the same direction at the same speed, then there won't be any collisions.

Slow vehicles are the cause of accidents just as much as fast vehicles are.

Therefore, if traffic in your lane is doing the speed limit, then you are required to keep up, or join a lane that is doing your speed.
Sometimes there isn't a lane doing your speed.

160 on the right 80 on the left and you say to yourself let me just stay in the middle.