"Pedo guy" is a common South African insult - Elon Musk

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
"Pedo guy" is a common South African insult - Elon Musk

Elon Musk revealed that he hired a private investigator for $50,000 to back up his assertion in a 2018 tweet that a British caver was a “pedo guy.”

Musk is now asking a judge to forgo a trial and a throw out a lawsuit by the caver, Vernon Unsworth, accusing the chief executive officer of Tesla Inc. and Space Exploration Technologies Corp. of defamation.

[Bloomberg]

lowriderza

Expert Member
Oh as in Pedo Socks or Pedo Moustache? :unsure:

I always wondered where those stereotypes actually came from?

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Another thing, maybe someone can help me understand, what did Musk hire a private investigator for? To try to show the guy was in fact really a pedo or that pedo guy is a common insult?

Daruk

Honorary Master
They asked the judge to treat Unsworth as a “public figure” for purposes of the case, arguing that Unsworth must meet a higher-than-ordinary level of proof that Musk either knew his statements were false or that he was reckless in making them.
That's a double edged sword Mr Tesla. LOL. Suck it up and pay up. Seems you've just funded his extended holiday

Daruk

Honorary Master
Another thing, maybe someone can help me understand, what did Musk hire a private investigator for? To try to show the guy was in fact really a pedo or that pedo guy is a common insult?
The former, I believe.

rietrot

Honorary Master
Oh as in Pedo Socks or Pedo Moustache? :unsure:

I always wondered where those stereotypes actually came from?
At first I thought BS. But now I've heard pedo moustache before.

Typical case of a nerd, someone socially awkward getting a commonly used phrase that they heard somewhere wrong.