People aged 35-49 in South Africa are getting their Covid-19 shots before 1 August and that's fine

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
South Africans over 35 are getting their Covid-19 shots — Why "queue jumping" is fine

Although Covid-19 vaccinations of people between the ages of 35 and 49 were only set to start in August, many in this age group have already received their first jab since registrations on the electronic vaccine data system (EVDS) for their cohort were opened last week.

The EVDS automatically schedules a vaccination appointment at a site in your vicinity when you register on the system. The appointment is communicated via SMS containing the date and location.

Athos

Waiting for the coldest day this week (apparently Thursday) hoping that people will shy away from facing the cold making the queue short and sweet.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
In my household some of us are with Fedhealth and some of us are on Discovery and my experience has been that when you register on the EVDS and you specify that you're a member of a medical aid, you do NOT get an sms with an appointment date from the EVDS. Instead your medical aid provider then sends you an sms, and you then have to register again separately on your medical aid provider's registration form to book an appointment. Both Discovery and Fedhealth had no problems allowing 35 - 49 year olds to book an appointment and everyone eligible in our household got their jabs in the last 5 days.

Napalm2880

Expert Member
yes, because we are tired of waiting for it and all of the government stuff ups till this point.
**** this government, their incompetance and their rules.

I'm 37 and got my first shot yesterday. Take my advise, don't wait for the SMS. Just register on the government site and go. In my experience the queue took 4.5 hours. Well worth it.

Lostboy

**** this government, their incompetance and their rules.

I'm 37 and got my first shot yesterday. Take my advise, don't wait for the SMS. Just register on the government site and go. In my experience the queue took 4.5 hours. Well worth it.
Fully agree no need to wait for sms.
Did mine as well yesterday, just showed my sms of registration as evidence.

All in all 3 hours total.

Just be aware appointments will have preference, but from my experience they do try to accommodate walk-ins as much as possible.

Johand

Expert Member
I think doing as many walk-ins as possible while prioritizing the elderly and appointments is the way to go. We need to get as many people vaccinated as possible per day and if the staff can get through appointments faster than scheduled it seems like doing as many ad-hoc shots maximize our vaccination rate.

It is not if there are a shortage of vaccines at the moment. The bottlenecks are logistics, sites and nurses. Push it as hard as possible is the best way forward.

Got my jab last Thursday. 35 min in and out, including the admin, shot and recovery waiting time.

Currantly

Expert Member
yes, because we are tired of waiting for it and all of the government stuff ups till this point.

Yeah, there's a long list of people under 35 who got their vaccine months before (healthcare/education workers etc.)...so I jumped at the first chance I could. I mean, I'm late forties, yet I know of a fit & healthy 29-year-old who got his vax a couple of weeks before I could even register, just because he 'worked in education'.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Waiting for the coldest day this week (apparently Thursday) hoping that people will shy away from facing the cold making the queue short and sweet.

Guess again.

Pissing with rain this morning in Cape Town didn’t stop anyone.

Been waiting 4 hours now for my second shot.

Crabby

Honorary Master
Went to Old Mutual (CT) yesterday around 10:30.

75 minutes and done.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Ah man that sucks.

And the sad part is I’ve ignored the government SMS which is on the other side of Cape Town for some reason and came back to Parc Du Cap where the first show was.

Now I’m regretting it and wondering if they aren’t appointment only there much like this was the first time.

Crabby

Honorary Master
Walk-in or appointment?
Walk in.

Booked an appointment via Discovery, but they were only allowed from 1 Aug, so we just went. The OM team are from Dischem, so you have to book an appoitment while you are there on thier system to get the ref #, but other than that, just time sitting on chairs.

Baxteen

Honorary Master
also because we have seen facebook to to our parents what they said Video games would do to us.

there are fewer gullible nut jobs in the age group that think "VaCcInEs CaUsE AuTiSm or ThE gOvErMeNt WiLl tRaCk YoU" or whatever influencers are convincing the nut jobs to repeat than there is in the age group above us.

garyc

Expert Member
Went for my scheduled vaccination this morning at the Union Caterer's ground in Pretoria. There were separate queues for appointments and walk-ins. They were clearing the scheduled queue before getting on to the rest. It looked like it was going to be a long day for some people. A friend went to a Clicks in a shopping mall for a walk-in and found that went reasonably quickly so it may be better to avoid the larger vaccination sites in this case.

The main bottleneck seems to be all the time spent doing the admin. The mass vaccinations that I was roped into as a kid involved a line of people which each one getting a needle stuck into their arm. Without all the paperwork this went really quickly.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
South Africans over 35 are getting their Covid-19 shots — Why "queue jumping" is fine

Although Covid-19 vaccinations of people between the ages of 35 and 49 were only set to start in August, many in this age group have already received their first jab since registrations on the electronic vaccine data system (EVDS) for their cohort were opened last week.

The EVDS automatically schedules a vaccination appointment at a site in your vicinity when you register on the system. The appointment is communicated via SMS containing the date and location.
There is nothing automatic about their scheduling system! There are still people over 60 who registered in April patiently waiting for their appointments. They believe the system will work. We know different. And why if what Dr Crisp says is true, people waiting for their 2nd shots not automatically receiving appointments? Everything is known. Their locations, their status, the date when they are eligible, everything!
The explanation is simple, the system is BROKEN and does not work.