People aged 35-49 in South Africa are getting their Covid-19 shots before 1 August and that's fine

Skankhunt

Expert Member
I'm 27 and got a shot 2 Friday's ago by some dumb luck.

Have a family member working at a health facility for the elderly and the Dept of Health was there to give them their shots... at 6pm, they finished off all the elderly + staff and they had 2 shots left, which would otherwise have to be thrown away (as they go bad in just a few hours of opening), so they asked the manager if she know of someone who lives nearby who'd be willing to get their shot to avoid wasting. And I was there.

Not sure if it counts as queue jumping if the dose otherwise would've ended up in the bin.

As a result I'm not on the main system, so have to make a special appointment for my second shot.

Mercury12

Expert Member

Have a family member working at a health facility for the elderly and the Dept of Health was there to give them their shots... at 6pm, they finished off all the elderly + staff and they had 2 shots left, which would otherwise have to be thrown away (as they go bad in just a few hours of opening), so they asked the manager if she know of someone who lives nearby who'd be willing to get their shot to avoid wasting. And I was there.

Not sure if it counts as queue jumping if the dose otherwise would've ended up in the bin.

As a result I'm not on the main system, so have to make a special appointment for my second shot.

Nothing wrong in this. More people jabbed the better. Hopefully by the time you are due your second shot they would have opened up your age group.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master

No you benefitted from a situation that was innovatively done to prevent wastage. I have no issues with this queue jumping BS at all, just with the system that tries to blame the public for its failings.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Oh really, is this because the Media and Government tells you so. Reality doesn't look good: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1415989536933490688.html
That's interesting.

I would like to see some more data used, and not the top line cherry picking that was done here.

The writer says they are "not supposing causality" but the use of high level data only makes it look like they're seeing umbrellas go up every time it rains, and drawing the conclusion that umbrellas cause rain.

Little Mac

Honorary Master
I phoned our local Dischem in EL (Hemmingways) today and was told they don't do walk-in Covid jabs anymore - apparently they decided on Friday to stop after doing 600 a day.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
So waiting for my SMS is pointless because no one else is? :unsure:
You might wait forever. Tomorrow I will know when I take the first 4 for their second jab. None of them have received an appointment yet they should have. 42 days expired last week and they are over 60.

dj2381

Expert Member
1st available appointment anywhere near me is 3 weeks from now :(

Edit: This is through discovery.

Sapphiron

Expert Member
Oh really, is this because the Media and Government tells you so. Reality doesn't look good: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1415989536933490688.html
Curious that they don't track the deaths on that thread. Does not seem to fit their predetermined opinion.

The vaccine (most vaccines in general), do not prevent you from getting sick, they just give your body a head start so you don't get as sick.

You can still get it, and you can still spread it, albeit at a slower rate.

What that data shows is how effective social distancing and mask wearing is.

Mercury12

Expert Member
Curious that they don't track the deaths on that thread. Does not seem to fit their predetermined opinion.

The vaccine (most vaccines in general), do not prevent you from getting sick, they just give your body a head start so you don't get as sick.

You can still get it, and you can still spread it, albeit at a slower rate.

What that data shows is how effective social distancing and mask wearing is.

Exactly

You waited 6 years to post anti vaxx stuff. Thats impressive.

LetsDance

So waiting for my SMS is pointless because no one else is? :unsure:
Actually I registered on EVDS, got the confirmation SMS telling me I would get another SMS for the date and site. Waited 3 weeks. I got that SMS today and the vaccinate date is Friday. I was getting concerned, but there you are. Patience is bitter, but the fruit is sweet.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Actually I registered on EVDS, got the confirmation SMS telling me I would get another SMS for the date and site. Waited 3 weeks. I got that SMS today and the vaccinate date is Friday. I was getting concerned, but there you are. Patience is bitter, but the fruit is sweet.
I registered almost three weeks ago. I occasionally get a reminder from Discovery telling me to book at my nearest Discovery Vaccination site but that's 600km+ away.