People aged 35-49 in South Africa are getting their Covid-19 shots before 1 August and that's fine

LCBXX

Honorary Master
Folks, your haste to get vaccinated is going to bite you in the arse, come the December 2021 4th wave. By then, the vaccine efficacy would've withered and all the "experts" will again call for lockdowns etc, ruining Christmas.

Wait until around the beginning of November, get your shots and then get shots again in May 2022 before the 5th wave in June.

Last edited:

Little Mac

Honorary Master
Registration on Discovery was a waste of time... no centers listed on their site outside CT and JHB

Little Mac

Honorary Master
Folks, your haste to get vaccinated is going to bite you in the arse, come the December 2020 4th wave. By then, the vaccine efficacy would've withered and all the "experts" will again call for lockdowns etc, ruining Christmas.

Wait until around the beginning of November, get your shots and then get shots again in May 2022 before the 5th wave in June.
By then you will be in line for Sinovac or Sputnik, mark my words

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
I registered almost three weeks ago. I occasionally get a reminder from Discovery telling me to book at my nearest Discovery Vaccination site but that's 600km+ away.

Yeah, thats where my issue is right now...

Discovery vaccination sites are 600kms away from me.... so they need to fix that shyte.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator

Discovery vaccination sites are 600kms away from me.... so they need to fix that shyte.
TBH it's annoying the crap out of me. They know where I live, they should be able to figure out that driving to Cape Town isn't particularly practical.

Little Mac

Honorary Master

Yeah, ignore their sites, phone your local dischem or clicks to see if you can walk in. AFAIK you can visit any government site too and just walk in.

Sapphiron

Expert Member
As an over 35, my wife and I got my first shot last Friday at a Metropolitan site in Bellville. We were there to get my mother-in-law's second shot, so we took a chance and asked.

They said they were taking anyone who had registered on the evds system on-line. They are right next to Cipla's office and have extensive cold storage.

The managers there were encouraging more walk-ins for everyone coming in, as they are running at 30% of their design capacity (they have 32 booths).

Queues were quite reasonable, took about 1 hour in total. (30min in Queue and 30mins inside)

Last edited:

Sapphiron

Expert Member
Folks, your haste to get vaccinated is going to bite you in the arse, come the December 2021 4th wave. By then, the vaccine efficacy would've withered and all the "experts" will again call for lockdowns etc, ruining Christmas.

As far as I understand it, we are still getting 1st phase vaccines with minimal updates. Most are planning updated booster shots against the new variants, but those are only likely for 2022.

Much like with the flu vaccine, it would most likely make sense to get the booster as soon as it becomes available, although there may be some merit in timing the booster shot for when risk is higher. just dont make timing the only factor.

Regarding first doses, even though the risk may be lower now compared to when the next peak is likely to be, getting Covid now, with no vaccine is likely to be far worse compared to getting it later with a weaker immune response. Remember Risk is calculated (Likelihood x Impact), don't ignore the impact part.

Also consider it's likely that the government will be providing the Sinovac and Sputnik vaccines later that do not seem to be as effective as the Pfizer or J&J vaccines that are currently available.

Make your own decisions, just make sure they make sense, and that you are prepared to change them as you learn more.