People aged 35-49 in South Africa are getting their Covid-19 shots before 1 August and that's fine

LetsDance

Your humour was appreciated, but some people look at these things without the tongue being in the cheek

blunt

Expert Member
Can register again on discovery, registered my wife and myself for 28 Aug which will be 43 days since our first one.

Doesn't ask if it's your first or second dose anymore.

krycor

Honorary Master
The more people get their "steek" the sooner the better. If there is capacity I don't see why this is a bad idea at all. But yeah if a 60-year old is not getting their due injection the system needs tweaking

Some say system, some say order.. this kak started with allowing walk-ins which shouldn’t have been allowed just yet for 35 > x > 49.

Honestly.. when gov eventually yanks this because bad press on people not getting shots in time due to too many walk-ins are we gonna blame gov, companies pushing ahead of time or the many chancers?

My guess is the gov because who cares that people don’t follow rules like when it starts. And you wonder why the world is as ****ed up as it is.. everyone is a special snowflake that deserves everything special

I just hope, the idiots who allowed this have accounted for the fact that a 2nd dose needs to match the 1st in a majority of the cases (Pfizer + Pfizer) but who knows. (Current scenario.., combos are still experimental studies).

Another reason to hope you get a J&J shot, (beside not trusting a majority of non gov sites).

Ps. I like the push to get vaccinated, but also like law and order.. something many here love to ignore and then bitch about when it’s not in their favor (due to abuse.. see traffic violation and it’s evolving nature) or found transgressing.

Ugh hopefully I’m proven wrong and people go about their business as usual.. but I’ll revisit when it hits the fan.

CataclysmZA

Executive Member
I'm 27 and got a shot 2 Friday's ago by some dumb luck.

Have a family member working at a health facility for the elderly and the Dept of Health was there to give them their shots... at 6pm, they finished off all the elderly + staff and they had 2 shots left, which would otherwise have to be thrown away (as they go bad in just a few hours of opening), so they asked the manager if she know of someone who lives nearby who'd be willing to get their shot to avoid wasting. And I was there.

Not sure if it counts as queue jumping if the dose otherwise would've ended up in the bin.

As a result I'm not on the main system, so have to make a special appointment for my second shot.
Lucky bastard! My cohort won't be able to register until September at this point, and there will still be long lines of people at most vaccination centers.

CataclysmZA

Executive Member
Folks, your haste to get vaccinated is going to bite you in the arse, come the December 2021 4th wave. By then, the vaccine efficacy would've withered and all the "experts" will again call for lockdowns etc, ruining Christmas.

Wait until around the beginning of November, get your shots and then get shots again in May 2022 before the 5th wave in June.
That is not how vaccines work. And that's not how these specific vaccines work over time, either.

CataclysmZA

Executive Member
Oh really, is this because the Media and Government tells you so. Reality doesn't look good: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1415989536933490688.html
These infections are driven by the delta and lambda variants.

By all accounts both variants spread faster and are more contagious, but overall less deadly becsuse they're either going to run into people who have had a prior infection, or have been vaccinated thanks to the ramp up in vaccination rates globally.

Last edited:

Nurple Derple

Honorary Master
Folks, your haste to get vaccinated is going to bite you in the arse, come the December 2021 4th wave. By then, the vaccine efficacy would've withered and all the "experts" will again call for lockdowns etc, ruining Christmas.

Wait until around the beginning of November, get your shots and then get shots again in May 2022 before the 5th wave in June.
The longer you wait the more likely you're going to get the J&J vaccine.

Besides once enough people get vaccinated lockdown decisions will be made based solely on the number of hospitalisations and not on total number of infections.

On the flip side of this SA can have a 85% vaccination rate but the majority of at risk people don't get vaccinated the we're still in for another lockdown.

JohnStarr

Executive Member
Yeah, there's a long list of people under 35 who got their vaccine months before (healthcare/education workers etc.)...so I jumped at the first chance I could. I mean, I'm late forties, yet I know of a fit & healthy 29-year-old who got his vax a couple of weeks before I could even register, just because he 'worked in education'.
You either work in education or you "work in education" (you don't really but took a chance). And teachers needed to be vaccinated if they're teaching your kids

LCBXX

Honorary Master
The longer you wait the more likely you're going to get the J&J vaccine.

Besides once enough people get vaccinated lockdown decisions will be made based solely on the number of hospitalisations and not on total number of infections.

On the flip side of this SA can have a 85% vaccination rate but the majority of at risk people don't get vaccinated the we're still in for another lockdown.
You're pretending that current, and previous, lockdown decisions had anything to do with healthcare. Underwear, pies, shoes, beaches, etc, etc.

Solitude

Executive Member
My appointment is tomorrow. I hope there isn't a queue because it's going to be bloody cold!

Praemon

Expert Member
Can register again on discovery, registered my wife and myself for 28 Aug which will be 43 days since our first one.

Doesn't ask if it's your first or second dose anymore.

Thanks, I also had the issue where you couldn't select the first dose date. Registered for 30 Aug which was the soonest (will be 45 since first dose).