People aged 35-49 in South Africa are getting their Covid-19 shots before 1 August and that's fine

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Dr "Time is a great healer" Crips claims a few weeks ago that the scheduling is based on a 200km radius search for an appointment. Long debate about why this is (rural areas etc). Then I saw a post about someone moaning that that does not take into account road access, which might mean that sites even if 200 km as the crow flies, not be accessible without long drives. So I suppose that messed up the algorithm.

Well discovery definitely aren't applying that algorithm either....

The closest site it picks up for me is 1 Discovery Place... its not like I'm about to drive to JHB to have someone stick a needle in my arm.

Even looking at the "sites" Discovery does have, they're dropping the ball monumentally since its like 10 sites across the whole country if their site is to be believed, they don't list any Dischems/Clicks/etc....

Mr Scratch

Expert Member
They're that slow, but they want more people coming in?

How is that slow? Keep in mind the mandatory observational wait after the jab

Hope my 2nd shot is quick with all my deetz on my vaccine passport

Markd

Expert Member
Still waiting for the sms to say I can go through, registered through on Discovery, EVDS and still nada, wife got a booking for the 11th of August.

You don't really need to do this. Provided you have registered on EVDS and received your SMS confirming your registration (i.e. not the date and time of your appointment), then you have some options. You can either book online via Discovery if you happen to live near to their very few vaccination sites. Alternatively you can book online via Dischem. When I was looking at this, Dischem appear to be able to fetch your voucher code, and I believe if you have a voucher code, you can also go get vaccinated at a Clicks via walk-in.

noxibox

Honorary Master
No but some basic business rules around distance to Vaccination site would be useful and shouldn't have taken much extra effort to put into their system.
It suggests Sandton as the first option to people registering in Cape Town. Searching for a location in Cape Town still includes results for Johannesburg.

noxibox

Honorary Master
How is that slow? Keep in mind the mandatory observational wait after the jab
Of course it is slow. Ridiculously so. No wonder there is such a backlog and queues. How long does it take to stick a needle in someone's arm? Yes, there's a 15 minute wait afterwards, which still wouldn't explain it taking an hour. They can continue on to the next person while you wait to see if you have a bad reaction.

CTSA

Of course it is slow. Ridiculously so. No wonder there is such a backlog and queues. How long does it take to stick a needle in someone's arm? Yes, there's a 15 minute wait afterwards, which still wouldn't explain it taking an hour. They can continue on to the next person while you wait to see if you have a bad reaction.
I mean some vaccination sites in London are still having 2+ hour queues and you're complaining about an hour? An hour is pretty ok imo.

The_MAC

Executive Member
Gallagher Estate mass vaccination site takes walk-ins, you only need to register, and even if you don't I think they will assist. It took 2 hours and it was quite busy. This is a Discovery site

blowdart18

Oh really, is this because the Media and Government tells you so. Reality doesn't look good: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1415989536933490688.html

I think you missing the point, the vaccine was never meant to stop Covid19 from spreading, it is being used to stop serious illness, hospitalization and death.

I am not one to normally get involved in these debates but the data for the current wave in the UK speaks volumes. Below are the stats in the UK at the moment - I tried to line up the timeline as best as possible.

New cases
Hospital admissions
Vaccines administered
Deaths

You can see that the UK vaccine program is working really well, for the amount of cases being reported there are very little deaths or hospital admissions following a very aggressive vaccine program.
vaccine.jpg

Nurple Derple

Honorary Master
I'm hearing that just about every vaccine centre is chockablock right up to closing time. So much for my plan to go in the late afternoon.

The_MAC

Executive Member
Gallagher Estate mass vaccination site takes walk-ins, you only need to register, and even if you don't I think they will assist. It took 2 hours and it was quite busy. This is a Discovery site

AlmightyBender

Executive Member
Speaking out of complete ignorance around how to organize and run something like a mass vaccination site. Stop beclowning yourself. You're out of your depth.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I'm hearing that just about every vaccine centre is chockablock right up to closing time. So much for my plan to go in the late afternoon.
I went to the big DisChem one here at Baywest Mall (PE) and they're not accepting any walk-ins currently due to shortages. :eek:

noxibox

Honorary Master
I mean some vaccination sites in London are still having 2+ hour queues and you're complaining about an hour? An hour is pretty ok imo.
Somebody else's poor performance is hardly an excuse. The point stands that a place taking an hour to process someone from arrival to departure is either not at 30% or if they are then the remaining capacity should be targeted at speeding up the process rather than wasting people's time. I've watched them doing vaccinations at one private site and they were horribly inefficient. It was no surprise they were taking an hour per person.

Speaking out of complete ignorance around how to organize and run something like a mass vaccination site. Stop beclowning yourself. You're out of your depth.
Sure, sure. Keep talking nonsense. The inefficiency is blindingly obvious. And no wonder they don't do anything about it with your sort of silly attitude.

noxibox

Honorary Master
I think you missing the point, the vaccine was never meant to stop Covid19 from spreading, it is being used to stop serious illness, hospitalization and death.
It was always meant to reduce the spread though. It is one of the key purposes of vaccines. You do however have to compare spread with and without the vaccine as the only countermeasures. Or keep all the additional countermeasures the same. Comparing vaccines plus plenty of human interaction against no vaccines and much less human interaction wouldn't be valid.

D.B.Cooper

Expert Member
Just been for my vaccination at Old Mutual in Pinelands. Was in and out in 30min. Incredibly well run operation they have there.
I'll probably go there for my second shot. Don't feel like waiting six hours again at Clicks.

Messugga

Honorary Master
Tried Discovery HQ. No walk-ins, even though it was dead quiet. Suppose I'll have to wait for my appointment.
People have had luck at Gallagher estate though.