People aged 35-49 in South Africa are getting their Covid-19 shots before 1 August and that's fine

Benedict A55h0le

Expert Member
It was always the case, medical aid paying for people with non-medical aid. The governemnt only allowed private healthcare to undertake vaccinations if they paid their share to the non-paying people. NHI step 1 done.

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
Did he pay out-of-pocket though? Its likely for the administration of the vaccine
The vaccine is a prescribed minimum benefit PMB
schemes are required to fund the full cost of the vaccine for all scheme members (the cost of the vaccines and administration fee). And it shouldn't affect members benefits either afaik
No he didnt say he paid it out of pocket
He said he saw a deduction taken off
Whatever that means

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
As I understand it, medical aids have to pay for the shot for their clients. Those without medical aid get subsidised by the state.
Thanx my man
I know I can always rely on you :thumbsup: Have a kick ass day

Benedict A55h0le

Expert Member
Fedhealth at least let their customers know that they will be paying for their own shots, as well as for people with no medical aid.

Currantly

Expert Member

Covid-19: Western Cape passes one million vaccinations mark​

The Western Cape became the third province to pass the one million mark in Covid-19 vaccinations.

The 1 000 722 vaccinations administered in the Western Cape followed after professional nurse Zoliswa Gidi-Dyosi became the first healthcare worker to be vaccinated when the government launched its official vaccination programme at the Khayelitsha Day Hospital in February.

President Cyril Ramaphosa and suspended minister of health Zweli Mkhize were also vaccinated under the Sisonke Protocol, which trialled the vaccination systems with healthcare workers from 17 February.

Gauteng leads the pack with 1 599 777 vaccinations, followed by KwaZulu-Natal on 1 268 266.

Linky

pozmans

Fedhealth at least let their customers know that they will be paying for their own shots, as well as for people with no medical aid.

How is that possible? The government’s mandated it that Medical Aids are to use their scheme reserves rather than individual’s medical savings.

Benedict A55h0le

Expert Member
How is that possible? The government’s mandated it that Medical Aids are to use their scheme reserves rather than individual’s medical savings.
Here we go again, so let me explain again: If you do not pay from a savings plan you still pay, you know, the debit they take from your bank account, does not go 100% into a "savings plan" for you, most of that goes into a stokvel of cash, this is what they are using. You still pay for that.

zoozi

Expert Member
Good question. So let's break down the numbers.

So far there's the original 1.5 million batch of J&J that was meant for the teachers/healthcare/journalists/etc but because it expires on the 11th of August, some public sites are receiving this in addition to the normal Pfizer so there is some J&J floating around right now.
There's around 250000 doses left and around 45000 workers are being vaccinated every day, so this should be finished well before 11 August

Then 1.5 million doses of J&J will be distributed next week from the Midrand warehouse.
Then another 600000 doses of J&J will be arriving next week but after the various checks it will likely be distributed in 2 weeks time.

The president said 31 million over 2-3 months from both Pfizer + J&J.

In April they that Pfizer has been contracted to deliver 16.5 million doses in the third quarter (July-September), i.e. an average of more than 1 million doses per week.
Of this batch, atleast 3 million need to go towards the people that still need second shots from Pfizer.

And that means 14.5 million J&J doses should be coming by Oct.

My guess is that the over 35s + all the 2nd doses will use up most of the Pfizer stock and 18-35 rollout will use the J&J. Or maybe more of the J&J will go to rural areas by opening up more vaccination sites.
Good post! Sigh, fingers crossed I get Pfizer.

ros_b

I went to Clairwood Hospital today (Dbn) as a 35-49 walk-in. They had one room for those getting their second shot of Pfizer, and a different room for those getting their first shot, which was J&J. Fairly efficient - in and out in 45 minutes.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I did , going in tomorrow for the jab , will report back tomorrow afternoon.
I went past today and they confirmed you can book online even though they're not accepting walk-in's.

Messugga

Honorary Master
So how do you get your spot for your second jab if you did a walk-in for the first?