'People are going to die' - Doctors forced to choose who to save as Covid-19 third wave batters Gauteng

rambo919

Honorary Master
I've just been infected and I still take the same precautions. Mainly because i don't want flu on top of it but also not another COVID run-in. Although the CDC claims it should be rare?
I don't think it's even technically possible to have both at the same time......

Supervan II

Expert Member
I'm a bit confused about how they're saying "We're filling ICU beds faster than Doves can take the bodies away" i think on News24 - but then our daily deaths was 166. What am I not understanding?
A typical (medium to large) private hospital would have around 20 ICU beds, but not all have the necessary support for CoVid patients.

As an example: If they have made provision for 10 CoVid patients and they have 10 patients then they are "full" - the rest of the hospital could be quite empty notwithstanding their "full" status. If they have 15 patients then they are already running at 150% of capacity - it's all relative to the number of beds available for CoVid patients ...

JohnStarr

Executive Member
That's rather the point.... I won't bother to test unless I stop being able to breathe..... I doubt I will be able to tell the difference otherwise.
When you stop being able to breathe, you're dead.

Not testing means you're one of those guys beating their chest about never having Covid, or refusing to have had it.

"It was something else, I swear! Not this hyped-up flu!"

BeerIsNotGood...

Executive Member
It amazes me that after everything we have been through over the last year and a half there are still so many utter morons begging for lockdowns as if they think they made any difference the last two times around. I have no respect for unthinking, and ultimately selfish, people like that.
:coffee:

rambo919

Honorary Master
When you stop being able to breathe, you're dead.

Not testing means you're one of those guys beating their chest about never having Covid, or refusing to have had it.

"It was something else, I swear! Not this hyped-up flu!"
You do like to on purpose misunderstand what I mean.

rambo919

Honorary Master
A typical (medium to large) private hospital would have around 20 ICU beds, but not all have the necessary support for CoVid patients.

As an example: If they have made provision for 10 CoVid patients and they have 10 patients then they are "full" - the rest of the hospital could be quite empty notwithstanding their "full" status. If they have 15 patients then they are already running at 150% of capacity - it's all relative to the number of beds available for CoVid patients ...
Look at you with your common sense and your logic....

LCBXX

Honorary Master
Jirre this thread is like we're back in 2020, arguing in circles about the same nonsense.

Kawak

Notice how the ANC and many in media blame the population when it's large the government at fault: not preparing the health system properly - check out the continued closure of Charlotte Maxwele and refusal to open up the field hospital in Nasrec. These interventions will actually make far more difference than a higher lockdown level.
It likely will, and have less impact on us but the issue isn't beds, it's the health professionals to man them, you go recruit now, come end of covid, what will you do with the excess? Another eskom situation? Get Cubans in, huge uproar, this is a temporary thing, people need to take action to limit spread, period.

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
Question? If there are so many on this forum who knows people that got invected twice, are those people not adhering to social distancing and other protocols or are they actively trying to get invected?
Most I know who got infected twice are health care professionals.
For some people social distancing is not really something they can do.

The Trutherizer

Expert Member
Actually no, I'll say it again, all the complications people are having with COVID are the same you can have the flu. The difference is we don't act like paranoid androids over the flu, cause we used to wear big boy panties.
Yeah sure. Similar symptoms are possible. You're not saying anything about the rates at which severe cases and deaths occur. Nor how frequently Covid (novel Coronavirus) causes severe complications in other organs when compared to the flu (Influenza virus).

Rofl. But of course... "Fake news"?

Useless... -_-

The Trutherizer

Expert Member
From what I hear it's flu with a wierd headache (probably just a tention headache from the panic) and more than usual trouble breathing. If you have any condition where you struggle with breathing already.... it's a larger pain for you than others.
Those "wierd" "tention" headaches are the worst. [sic]

FrankCastle

Executive Member
We just delayed the inevitable.
Hope gov doesn't do stupid things that make things worse, not better.

Kawak

First you need to prove there is an actual issue.... which has not been done to my satisfaction.

Yes it's real.... so is TB.... where are the TB lockdowns?
Wow, OK, next time your kids decide to not mow the lawn or do the dishes, just remember, you likely never explained or gave any prove to their satisfaction that it js an issue, yet you grounded them...

rambo919

Honorary Master
Wow, OK, next time your kids decide to not mow the lawn or do the dishes, just remember, you likely never explained or gave any prove to their satisfaction that it js an issue, yet you grounded them...
You can do what daddy government wants you to I don't care..... just don't drag me into your wierd rituals.