'People are going to die' - Doctors forced to choose who to save as Covid-19 third wave batters Gauteng

neoprema

Executive Member
A typical (medium to large) private hospital would have around 20 ICU beds, but not all have the necessary support for CoVid patients.

As an example: If they have made provision for 10 CoVid patients and they have 10 patients then they are "full" - the rest of the hospital could be quite empty notwithstanding their "full" status. If they have 15 patients then they are already running at 150% of capacity - it's all relative to the number of beds available for CoVid patients ...
Hmm ok. I thought they have at least 50+ ICU beds. I suppose it makes sense then.

porchrat

Honorary Master
Millions of copies is a lot.
Not when you're talking about DNA. That's why contamination is such a massive factor in these molecular biology tests. They're usually done in a separate room in the lab and often techs will have to decontaminate in a little airlock to get in. Everything is relative.

My understanding is that initially at first (and probably still the case, my faith in governments response to this is noted) the number of cycles was set so high that nearly half of tests were false positives. The rest of the world tweaked the test to a lower positive threshold.

A lower threshold for positive means the initial amount of viral material must be more, so your chances of the positive being an actual current infection is statistically enhanced.
Yea but that's just a test calibration issue. It doesn't mean PCR as a test technology isn't accurate. At the end of the day PCR is a quantitative test. It seems like they're in a pretty good spot now with their calibration though. Storm in a teacup.

rambo919

Honorary Master
Hmm ok. I thought they have at least 50+ ICU beds. I suppose it makes sense then.
They supposed to now with c19.... they they prefer to sound full though so they can get those wonderful grants and other extra funding.

Sollie

Honorary Master
Okay, my thoughts (nvm the other petty twaddle fights and crap here) ...

We locked down in stage 5 to give govt time to prepare for CovID.

We essentially gave up our freedoms, sometimes willingly, sometimes begrudgingly, but we did.
We trashed our economy.
Many lost their jobs and livelihoods. Some their business,
Some their houses, cars, financial independence.
There were secondary casualties. At a stage I had to say good bye to friends who died not of CovID, but heart attacks.

Personally my family and I had a hard choice to make, hospitalize an elderly family member after a medical condition or not. One the eve of lock down, we left hospital at 23H45, family member in car At least she's alive today, even though never the same. I believe it was the correct decision. I had 5 ciggies left, my wife 12 as lock down started. I had to re-adjust my livelihood and business. I had to dig deep into my reserves with only a few years to my retirement. It sent me for a knock, I'll be honest. I'll probably have to postpone retirement.

Now here we are, 18 months later, 15 months more or less from the first lock down. What has our govt done to prepare, what have we as a collective country achieved? I feel f-all. It was just a looting opportunity for some, a power trip for others. Yet we as a nation are truly and solidly fvcked, and fvcked over.

Let's hear from those who have been affected.

buka001

Honorary Master
Okay, my thoughts (nvm the other petty twaddle fights and crap here) ...

We locked down in stage 5 to give govt time to prepare for CovID.

We essentially gave up our freedoms, sometimes willingly, sometimes begrudgingly, but we did.
We trashed our economy.
Many lost their jobs and livelihoods. Some their business,
Some their houses, cars, financial independence.
There were secondary casualties. At a stage I had to say good bye to friends who died not of CovID, but heart attacks.

Personally my family and I had a hard choice to make, hospitalize an elderly family member after a medical condition or not. One the eve of lock down, we left hospital at 23H45, family member in car At least she's alive today, even though never the same. I believe it was the correct decision. I had 5 ciggies left, my wife 12 as lock down started. I had to re-adjust my livelihood and business. I had to dig deep into my reserves with only a few years to my retirement. It sent me for a knock, I'll be honest. I'll probably have to postpone retirement.

Now here we are, 18 months later, 15 months more or less from the first lock down. What has our govt done to prepare, what have we as a collective country achieved? I feel f-all. It was just a looting opportunity for some, a power trip for others. Yet we as a nation are truly and solidly fvcked, and fvcked over.

Let's hear from those who have been affected.
Good luck. Feel for everyone down South.

RedViking

Nord of the South
I'm scared.

I'm scared they going to close everything again and my family is going to get the last nail in the coffin.

RedViking

Nord of the South
To say our government has not done anything is not entirely correct. If one looks past the sensationalism and consider corruption has not gone away and will effect every decision government makes, I know of hospitals who never had staff or equipment to treat the sick, who now have some of the best they ever experienced. I know architectural firms have been designing, improving and building hospital and facilities day and night. The biggest challenge I think, might be there are not enough doctors and nurses and qualified people to put in the buildings. While some hospitals, as mentioned, now have staff they never had before, other do not have enough. There is nothing government can do about it. They destroyed the education system long time ago. And you don't suddenly get qualified staff within a couple of months. It take years.

The thing I am trying to say is, we are 20 years too late, we are screwed. Now we just need to make sure those who do stay alive, need to be able to continue to work and provide for the rest who are still alive.

Nuke

Here to read the comments from the: "It's just flu, nothing to see here" crowd who aren't brave enough to test their luck with the virus.
Can't speak for others here, but if you look at my posts you will see that I gladly expose myself the the virus. If you are that scared or high risk, go lock yourself up in your own room.

My best friend have had both covid now and the swine flu way back. She said the swine flu was way worse in her experience.

Btw almost everyone around me is sick, some tested positive, but most don't even bother testing. For every positive test there is at least 5 in the same cluster that won't go for the test.

Moto Guzzi

Expert Member
I think the very long incubation period, other than other viruses where you get sick and isolate yourself away naturally mostly, in this case during that incubation period if you are exposed multiple times, it builds up and explodes in your body as it germinates in different days after the incubation period(7-14 days) came to and end, at least this is my theory till otherwise proven. We have to keep open minds about this thing, too little is understood it seems, its running in circles with science. Sometimes specific knowledge can lock your thinking process down to a track like a train is using, you only go where the track is going, however knowledge comes from original thinkers before it gets loaded and tracked and priced.

Last edited:

HunterNW

Honorary Master
Can't speak for others here, but if you look at my posts you will see that I gladly expose myself the the virus. If you are that scared or high risk, go lock yourself up in your own room.

My best friend have had both covid now and the swine flu way back. She said the swine flu was way worse in her experience.

Btw almost everyone around me is sick, some tested positive, but most don't even bother testing. For every positive test there is at least 5 in the same cluster that won't go for the test.
Agree on the swine flu. Had it back then. Fokit, thought i was dying untill the dr gave me a butpill. And no, i shuffed it in myself.
Just had covid and .... for me it was a walk in the park, i'm lucky.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Agree on the swine flu. Had it back then. Fokit, thought i was dying untill the dr gave me a butpill. And no, i shuffed it in myself.
Just had covid and .... for me it was a walk in the park, i'm lucky.
Yup I had swine flu in 2009, didn't get the suppository but yeah for 2 weeks I was legitimately man down, the bathroom was down stairs as well, I would struggle to get down those stairs.
Got pneumonia on top of that as you do and yeah happy fun times, that's why I keep trying to get people to realise the flu isn't just a ag man disease it can be like COVID.

rambo919

Honorary Master
Got pneumonia on top of that as you do and yeah happy fun times, that's why I keep trying to get people to realise the flu isn't just a ag man disease it can be like COVID.
I think most people that think flu is a minor disease.... have never had a truly bad one.

One moment you are fine and the next you are on the floor after almost passing out..... or actually passing out.

HunterNW

Honorary Master
I think most people that think flu is a minor disease.... have never had a truly bad one.

One moment you are fine and the next you are on the floor after almost passing out..... or actually passing out.
Difference between Flu and a common cold. Griep / Verkoue