'People are going to die' - Doctors forced to choose who to save as Covid-19 third wave batters Gauteng

Craig_

Honorary Master
Well, people own prejudices, whether it is young vs old, men vs women, white vs black, will definetly play a role in how they decide, oh before I forget, black against black.

I doubt any sane person would make the choice using prejudice, that would probably make it a lot harder.

rh1

Expert Member
I doubt any sane person would make the choice using prejudice, that would probably make it a lot harder.
Person A dont like nigerians for whatever reasons and has to choose btw a nigerian and aZulu person, all other things being equal, will probably choose the Zulu person.

Charlesjjm

Then you never had it?

The way the tests are set up.... positive results are a given whether there is current infection or not. PCR tests are not being used as they were designed to be used, it's basically mechanical homeopathy.
Nope, thank goodness. But you insinuated that every test will be positive whether you are infected or not.

Temujin

Honorary Master
1.5 years to prepare for a full scale outbreak and yet still hopelessly unprepared. Seems nothing is taken seriously in SA not even death. Like wtf have you guys been doing all this time?
They can't play victim and put out the begging bowl if they prepared... need them international loots
Like wtf have you guys been doing all this time?
iu

ES1

I am not so sure the public is getting the correct statistics.

Maths 30% and now everyone I hear that test is positive... way too convenient me thinks. The tests are not even that reliable.

ISP cash cow

Executive Member
The virus leaves traces of itself even after destruction..... to teach the immune system how to fight it, these AV definitions are being picked up.

This is how an immune system functions.
The virus would love to leave traces of itself to infect other cells (I am not sure what you mean about "after destruction" as viruses are single nucleic acids with a protein coat and so there is not much to destroy). They cannot do anything by themselves and require to be absorbed into your cells to actually replicate and do damage.

The body teaches it own immune system how to fight the virus and send the T cells and antibodies out to protect itself against foreign bodies in the body

If the virus lingers in the body then the antibodies from your immune system are not doing their job. Viruses are bound to by the antibodies (as long as they have not infected the cells yet). the antibodies then activate your phagocytes which then envelope the attached virus which then destroys the virus completely. the body then keeps the antibodies in the body for "future attacks"

rambo919

Honorary Master
Nope, thank goodness. But you insinuated that every test will be positive whether you are infected or not.
One opinion is you can tweak it to make anyone seem infected by anything.

But more realistically what I meant is any past infection or contact (not that I am sure you can divorce contact from infection) will always be picked up in the future if it is a test that is not being compared to past tests.

It picks up past infections and projects them to be current infections.

garp

Executive Member
No balance can be struck between death and the economy.
Nonsense. The economy is life. The effect of every point drop in GDP can be shown to have a long term cost in life years far exceeding the relatively modest toll of Covid in life years. Nobody seems to understand the concept of cost-benefit analysis anymore.

rambo919

Honorary Master
The virus would love to leave traces of itself to infect other cells (I am not sure what you mean about "after destruction" as viruses are single nucleic acids with a protein coat and so there is not much to destroy). They cannot do anything by themselves and require to be absorbed into your cells to actually replicate and do damage.
Traces being inactive or dead or whatever is left after the immune system does it's job. Think of it as identifying new enemies by comparison to the corpses of the defeated.

The body teaches it own immune system how to fight the virus and send the T cells and antibodies out to protect itself against foreign bodies in the body

If the virus lingers in the body then the antibodies from your immune system are not doing their job. Viruses are bound to by the antibodies (as long as they have not infected the cells yet). the antibodies then activate your phagocytes which then envelope the attached virus which then destroys the virus completely. the body then keeps the antibodies in the body for "future attacks"
I never said it was an intact version.

The anti-bodies need definitions to identify which cells to destroy, it needs to actually get that data from somewhere.

Dunno the exact way but somewhere in the back of my mind there is something about traces of the virus being integrated into antibodies.... anything I say in detail is going to be a thumbsuck.

It could even be that the PCR picks up the antibodies and misidentifies it as active virus.... likely enough.

garp

Executive Member
It amazes me that after everything we have been through over the last year and a half there are still so many utter morons begging for lockdowns as if they think they made any difference the last two times around. I have no respect for unthinking, and ultimately selfish, people like that.

rietrot

Honorary Master
It amazes me that after everything we have been through over the last year and a half there are still so many utter morons begging for lockdowns as if they think they made any difference the last two times around. I have no respect for unthinking, and ultimately selfish, people like that.
They have secure jobs and never go out of the house anyway.

porchrat

Honorary Master
And fully automated systems cannot be programmed to perform tests in the way humans would or to get a desired kind of result?

No PCR test on it's own is of any use for diagnosis. It is an additional tool nothing more. It was never designed for diagnosis.
You talk like a person who doesn't know what PCR is.

porchrat

Honorary Master
The virus leaves traces of itself even after destruction..... to teach the immune system how to fight it, these AV definitions are being picked up.

This is how an immune system functions.
eish

You mean antibodies or T Cells with binding sites for antigens?... those binding sites don't look like the viral RNA/DNA my friend. The viral genetic material is inside the virion. Trying to create an immune response based around genetic material not exposed to the exterior of the virion (and hence not visible to your immune system) would be a very useless immune response mechanism.

Your body produces memory cells and those are what facilitate the faster response next time around, not pieces of the bloody virus floating about.

This isn't the first time you've posted things that show your ignorance on the topic of immunology. You clearly have little to no background in this field. You should stick to what you know rather.

Last edited: