People are panic buying out there!

Arthur

Honorary Master
Panic buying? Not at all. It's a reasonable response under the circumstances.

I suspect many people intuit in some or other way this lockdown is far from the last. It's more likely than not that the lockdown will be extended, and extended again ... unless new data emerges that the virus is not nearly as deadly as feared.

chrisc

Executive Member
Our local LP Gas shop has run out
He keeps telling customers - he is open during the lockdown

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Our local LP Gas shop has run out
He keeps telling customers - he is open during the lockdown
He'll likely get supply over the weekend as per normal. There's no gas shortage and it will be delivered to him under essential services. Not to worry.

grok

Honorary Master
He'll likely get supply over the weekend as per normal. There's no gas shortage and it will be delivered to him under essential services. Not to worry.
Lol that's exactly what everyone said when the dumasses voted Zuma another term..

Splinter

Honorary Master
let folks panic buy. then, when the shelves are restocked in a day or two, I can do some more shopping.

if lockdown is extended, only issue will be the alcohol stores :)

Mortymoose

Honorary Master
Even in my corner of the desert they went mad, now I hear the local CEO of the Town Council wants a meeting as he would like us to limit the store to 10 customers at a time, Please tell me how this works? Ten people inside the store and a crowd of 300 outside spreading the disease as they all clamber to get in......

garp

Executive Member
This situation was entirely created by the regulations the finger wagging, power tripping ministers brain farted following Rampahosa's announcement on Monday. If they had stuck to the spirit of his announcement, i.e. the impression being that your local supermarket would be open as normal, we would not be in this situation. But no, instead they had to start coming with lists of what is or not essential, banning alcohol, cigarettes (probably, who knows?) and generally creating mass uncertainty and panic.

cerebus

Honorary Master
Of course all that gathering together is a prime opportunity for spreading the virus. I get so pissed off with this - my wife's sister is in PTA and her kids are just going on as normal - no they'll stop when the lockdown happens. Like yeah the virus is just waiting till the lockdown happens to start spreading.

ShaunSA

Derailment Squad
Of course all that gathering together is a prime opportunity for spreading the virus. I get so pissed off with this - my wife's sister is in PTA and her kids are just going on as normal - no they'll stop when the lockdown happens. Like yeah the virus is just waiting till the lockdown happens to start spreading.
Everyone's behaving as if it will only strike at midnight :ROFL:

RedViking

Nord of the South
People are brain dead

smc

Everyone's behaving as if it will only strike at midnight :ROFL:
Law of unintended consequences (predictably) strikes again. The lockdown is supposed to preventing the infection. What we have is social distancing being entirely ignored. I went to try to just buy milk and bread - nothing else - this morning, and it was crazy. I really hope it gets better next week, because if this saga of shortages and lines continues, we're going to come out of this with many more infections than we started with.

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
People are idiots. The shops will not be closing. I still need to drive to builders when my wife gets home to be some stuff to put tiles in (f'up incoming), something I've never done in my life. But that's it, no other shops.
Tiles?

omfh

garp

Executive Member
Law of unintended consequences (predictably) strikes again. The lockdown is supposed to preventing the infection. What we have is social distancing being entirely ignored. I went to try to just buy milk and bread - nothing else - this morning, and it was crazy. I really hope it gets better next week, because if this saga of shortages and lines continues, we're going to come out of this with many more infections than we started with.
Yes, and the unintended consequences are not restricted to panic buying. Some restaurants / pubs are probably having huge farewell bashes before the lock down. And they won't care about the 50 person limit or no alcohol after 6pm as it's they're going out of business anyway now.