People around the world are dirty pirates

Swa

Honorary Master
Hey, I'm not a dirty pirate, I'm a shady creepy sadist! :D

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
An illegal vs. legal awareness gap: While consumers recognise that producing or sharing pirated video content is illegal (70%), far fewer people are aware that streaming or downloading is also against the law (59%).
Streaming is illegal? :wtf:

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Technically if it's not through the licensed content distributor. It's civil though and not criminal.
Perhaps, but I don't see any indication that that is what they're referring to.

ponder

Honorary Master
Let's be honest, we pirate because we can. Most of the content I watch would cost me a couple of hundred a month at most.
The thing that annoys me is that they claim that every pirated copy is a lost sale. That is a very big lie. Let's assume for a second that they introduce DRM that makes 'piracy' impossible, how many people across the globe would now all of a sudden buy that content? Reality is most people on this planet simply cannot afford and won't buy it in the first place so the loss claimed is actually BS.

Swa

Honorary Master
The thing that annoys me is that they claim that every pirated copy is a lost sale. That is a very big lie. Let's assume for a second that they introduce DRM that makes 'piracy' impossible, how many people across the globe would now all of a sudden buy that content? Reality is most people on this planet simply cannot afford and won't buy it in the first place so the loss claimed is actually BS.
We've had that with some games. Ok not completely impossible but good enough for the first few weeks. Didn't seem to increase sales and if anything there was less hype around those titles.

The music, movie and games industries seem to have never learned basic consumerism 101. Everyone has a price point and if something is beyond someone's price point they'd likely not buy it even if they can't get it somewhere else.

access

Executive Member
heeeeeee!! lives in a pineapple under the sea!!

Everyone has a price point and if something is beyond someone's price point they'd likely not buy it even if they can't get it somewhere else.
this is why i find those piracy fines such bs, there is no way of knowing who would have or might have paid for anything, its just made up, the fact that a judge/court accepts this made up nonsense is even more bs.

Pakka

Expert Member
Another contributing factor to the popularity of piracy is the fact that you can't just use one paid-for service for everything you want to watch. You might have to pay Netflix + Hulu + Amazon Prime and still not get the latest episodes or movies you'd like to watch.

When you pirate, you can set up Sonarr and Radarr and Kodi as your viewer and everything is right there when you need it. Convenience