Performance throttling added to iPhone 8 and iPhone X in iOS 12.1 update

Dave

Honorary Master
What's the point in spending so much money on a device, thinking you are buying the latest and best if it's not? You're throwing money down the drain. That's like buying a Ferrari to drive around the suburbs.
Even a Ferrari has a throttling feature, it’s called “limp mode”, plenty of info on the net if you’d like something to read.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Mine came with MIUI, a similar yet superior UI to that found on the iOS devices. However I replaced it with rootless Pixel launcher for that more authentic Android feel.

mercurial

MyBB Legend
Even a Ferrari has a throttling feature, it’s called “limp mode”, plenty of info on the net if you’d like something to read.
Lol.

Then again, it never pretended to be what it's not. Apple is supposed to be a premium brand, thats' why you pay such ridiculous amounts only to get throttled lol.
Hey, be careful. You will cause them to become iRate :D

[XC] Oj101

Expert Member
So you don't mind paying R20 000 for a phone that you cannot even use to its full potential? Wow, I guess Apple fans are something else.
Did anyone even read into it? If you have an old, worn out battery and you place a high load on it, the device can instantly shut down. This slows it down instead of shutting down. My old Galaxy S2 with original battery will instantly switch off if I load a 3D game on it without being connected to the charger. I’d rather an old device with a battery that needs replacing slow down than switch off. A battery replacement solves the issue anyway.

Dave

Honorary Master
Did anyone even read into it? If you have an old, worn out battery and you place a high load on it, the device can instantly shut down. This slows it down instead of shutting down. My old Galaxy S2 with original battery will instantly switch off if I load a 3D game on it without being connected to the charger. I’d rather an old device with a battery that needs replacing slow down than switch off. A battery replacement solves the issue anyway.
Don’t bring facts into it, the anti-iPhone crew won’t know what to do or say :p

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
What's the point in spending so much money on a device, thinking you are buying the latest and best if it's not? You're throwing money down the drain. That's like buying a Ferrari to drive around the suburbs.
But it's only when the phone is going to unexpectedly shut down, isn't it? How is that bad? :unsure:

Dave

Honorary Master
It’s funny how all the loud voices that have been shouting about throttling are so quiet about the throttling found in the (brand new) Pixel 3....

:unsure::unsure::unsure:

Swa

Honorary Master
But it's only when the phone is going to unexpectedly shut down, isn't it? How is that bad? :unsure:
A phone that's so "powerful" it will unexpectedly shut down so it needs to be throttled? I don't know, doesn't seem good though. Rather pay less than half the price and get to use what you pay for.

[XC] Oj101

Expert Member
Most people would but they give you the option to disable the throttling.
Most people would rather the phone switch off randomly while in use?

Intel doesn’t give the option to disable thermal throttling at Tjunc Max, hows this different?

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Most people would rather the phone switch off randomly while in use?

Intel doesn’t give the option to disable thermal throttling at Tjunc Max, hows this different?
:confused:
You said... I’d rather have it slow down than switch off unexpectedly.
I said... Most people would but they give you the option to disable the throttling.

zippy

Executive Member
A phone that's so "powerful" it will unexpectedly shut down so it needs to be throttled? I don't know, doesn't seem good though. Rather pay less than half the price and get to use what you pay for.
You missed the whole point of it. Batteries age and degrade in performance, regardless of who the phone manufacturer is. This extends the life of the device. I’m still using an iPhone 5s. I can tell it’s ageing. I always have it on 4G/Wi-fi. But I’m not forced to buy a new handset. I can plan a new purchase in advance. I don’t need to make an emergency decision and get committed to a locked in contract, which over 18/24 months is more expensive. I can save and make a cash purchase and still keep my phone unlocked.

As others have said, Apple aren’t the only ones doing it. You are just trolling because it’s Apple.

waylander

Expert Member
Compare iPhones of a particular era, to phones from other manufacturers from those same eras and see how many are still usable.

Apple products are tanks, and these features only further improve their longevity.

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
It's a piece of tech. Shutdowns, restarts, errors etc. happen. Android phones are susceptible to the exact same thing.

Swa

Honorary Master
You missed the whole point of it. Batteries age and degrade in performance, regardless of who the phone manufacturer is. This extends the life of the device. I’m still using an iPhone 5s. I can tell it’s ageing. I always have it on 4G/Wi-fi. But I’m not forced to buy a new handset. I can plan a new purchase in advance. I don’t need to make an emergency decision and get committed to a locked in contract, which over 18/24 months is more expensive. I can save and make a cash purchase and still keep my phone unlocked.

As others have said, Apple aren’t the only ones doing it. You are just trolling because it’s Apple.
No I didn't and understand the point. It's only certain models though which you seem to have missed so what I said is correct. And my opinion on expensive smartphones has been consistent but it's more Apple fanatics that always go for the top which they'll never fully utilise so don't troll over something you know nothing about.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Does this feature even work ?

My 4+ year old iPhone 6 still shows 100% Maximum Capacity for the battery health. Yes, I do use it constantly.

Original battery and does still seem to hold its charge for most of the day, dependant on usage of course.
It it believes it’s at 100% then it wouldn’t be throttling.

It only gets enabled when the battery is truly on its way out.