Perseverance and the Quest to Find Life on Mars

Afon Kulikov

Forging
Sojourner – the first rover we sent to another planet – had just landed on Mars in a giant space airbag bouncing along the surface to a safe stop. The Internet was new. And I was a young space enthusiast with a dial-up modem.
For the first time, images from a space exploration mission were beamed to an audience that was connected online. Now we use the term “broke the Internet” as a hyperbolic phrase for various Internet phenomena, but interest in the Mars mission in 97 drove so many hits to NASA mirror servers around the world that global web traffic was disrupted. Patiently I watched as, line by line, orange sky to red stone, the first image posted by NASA loaded on my screen…it took about an hour.
Each line resolved was like my own exploration of the planet. And finally, the landing site, in “real time”, was revealed to me and the entire world all at once. What would we discover together?

saor

Honorary Master
This reel depicts key events during entry, descent, and landing that will occur when NASA’s Perseverance rover lands on Mars February 18, 2021. In the span of about seven minutes, the spacecraft slows down from about 12,100 mph (19,500 kph) at the top of the Martian atmosphere to about 2 mph (3 kph) at touchdown in an area called Jezero Crater.

Afon Kulikov

Forging

Nasa Mars rover: Perseverance robot heads for daunting landing​

The six-wheeled robot is fast approaching Mars after a seven-month, 470-million-km journey from Earth for what unquestionably will be the most challenging part of its mission.
It's got to put itself down safely on the Red Planet - a task that has befuddled so many spacecraft before it.
But if Perseverance is successful, it has an amazing opportunity to find signs of past life on Mars.
Never has a science mission gone to the planet with so sophisticated a suite of instruments; never has a robot been targeted at so promising a location.
Jezero Crater, the intended touchdown zone, bears all the hallmarks in satellite imagery of once having held a giant lake. And where there's been abundant water, perhaps there's been biology as well.

OCP

Expert Member
1613628578091.png

at that speed it would take 54 seconds to get from CPT to JHB!

just imagine the speeding fines :)

Arthur

Honorary Master
150 minutes to scheduled landing. Very exciting, but flaky internet in the Texas Big Freeze.

UrBaN963

Honorary Master
I like how they strapped a Blackberry from 2008 to use as the engineering camera.

Quite an achievement though, 470,000,000km journey and they landed where they wanted to. Noice.

R13...

Honorary Master
Some guy phoned into the radio this morning to say this whole thing is a ploy to distract from the end being nigh. So, it would seem you can escape god's wrath by relocating to Mars

Stillie

Expert Member
i absolutely loved the stream last night! Im looking for some sort of stream (if possible) to watch what happens to the rover over the next couple days. I am especially looking forward to Ingenuity first flight!