Personal attacks not necessary...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScrnScrm

Expert Member
noone said:
you know, alot of things online are offensive... you (yes, you, the dork behind the monitor reading this stupid message) can choose if you want to or not.

I bet you text offends you? Wait.. let me guess, when sabc says "the following material of a bunny sitting there and doing nothing will offend sensitive viewers" you switch the tv off? right?

Or do you keep watching? Interesting that... you have a choice, it's given to you, no one is forcing you to watch or read it, yet, you still complain... you're probably one of those old tannies or oomies who get all the good stuff removed off television because they get "offended"

fck, get a life
Dont make assumptions as to what offends me or not. You dont know me. If something offends me, I will say so.
You are right about one thing - nobody is forcing me to read this forum. So I can "switch it off". I plan to do exactly that. I dont have to suffer your verbal abuse, or for that matter, verbal abuse from any other person on this forum. I joined this forum to contribute some knowledge to the greater broadband community, not to enter into a p1ssing contest with you are any one else here. There is obviously nothing constructive happening here on mybroadband (judging by all the personal attacks of late), so I am out of here.

ScrnScrm over and out.

slimothy

Banned
c'mon dude don't be like that, I appreciate your contribution, this isn't worth leaving over. It might be only a forum but this is the best mouthpiece we have for getting better broadband in this country. Personal attacks aren't par for the course, just use the 'alert moderator' button and it will be cleaned up or deleted.

guest2013-1

shame, i bet he can't handle real life either? because, from what i've seen (you know, if you actually go outside into the sun :eek: ) you're more than likely to walk into a couple of characters that will verbally abuse you some or other time.

slimothy

Banned
yeah well people also blow goats, that doesn't mean people come to myadsl to blow goats

guest2013-1

yes i know, but they could.... freedom of choice. and my point to our little friend is just that, he has that choice.

I had a pm from him several days ago about a post I made re: Shaun Green and sucking my hairy balls. Somehow this dude got it in his head that I put that in my signature, and DEMANDED (note, DEMANDED) I take it off immediately because it greatly offended him.

Now, I fail to see how it is HIS business what I told SOMEONE ELSE to do. Hence my nicely worded post about him being an old oomie or tannie b1tching and moaning about how stuff should be censored and how it offends them.

I also fail to see how pictures, not of him, offends him. It's not like Shaun was naked in them... or as slimothy put it, blowing a goat. It didnt even cross his mind LG might have had permission to post those pictures in the first place... nope... he just sprung on the "im offended by something that doesn't concern me in the first place" bandwagon.

Why not just ignore the post and get on with your life? Thats what I do when I read posts that "offend" me. But then again, I'm not that narrowminded....

Kei

Banned
There is obviously nothing constructive happening here on mybroadband (judging by all the personal attacks of late), so I am out of here.
I agree with this sentiment and I also, likewise, out of here. I got all the info I needed here, and it's getting a bit on the offensive side now. I never expected to see this kind of **** here, especially not on such a prestigious forum. Seems all SA forums are going the same route as one famous anime forum I know. Freedom of speech is nonexistent.

Kei, out

bb_matt

Executive Member
Kei said:
Freedom of speech is nonexistent.

Kei, out
Well, here's another mildly offensive statement :-

DOH !

It would seem the complete opposite is true.
What has prompted this Kei ?
The USB thread ?
Cmon, that was just stupid by some of the other people participating, don't tar everyone with the same brush.

Kei

Banned
bb_matt: I don't have any further contribution to make. I am not going to say anything more. All my rights are reserved!

bb_matt

Executive Member
Hey, no problem Kei, it's just not good to see people decide to not participate just because they got offended by a few people. There's a lot of good stuff here too.

guest2013-1

See, its the same people who moan about personal attacks, that moan about freedom of speech. Now, if the dude had a problem with the pics being posted, he could (like he did me) private messaged and asked LG if he had permission and voice his concerns like that.

Now, I have the freedom to say whatever the **** I want and if you get offended by it, don't read any of my posts... simple as that. With freedom of speech, you get freedom of choice.

Now I do apologize what may SEEM to have been a personal attack, but pretenscious people who THINK they know better than everyone else and get people to censor what they say in that manner because "it might be offensive" just pisses me off.

BicPen

Sticks and stones may brake my bones but words will never hurt me ;)
picked that up in grade 2 :D

Kei

Banned
See, its the same people who moan about personal attacks
Today is the first time I "moaned" about personal attacks, stating that I agree with what someone else said about the subject and quoting him/her

I am not complaining about the pictures. I reserve my opinion of them.

but pretenscious people who THINK they know better than everyone else and get people to censor what they say in that manner because "it might be offensive" just pisses me off.
Are you referring to me here?

Gatecrasher

Executive Member
Free speech is an ideal. In practice it doesn't exist. The best we can do is to defend the ideal. In reality, censorship is a necessary evil, even if it is only self-censorship.

Since this is a "largely" anonymous board, and we really don't know each other, the only things we can legitimately criticise are each other's words.

There is a big difference between "Your argument is stupid" and "You are stupid". The first is debate, the second is personal attack.

It doesn't mean you have to pvssyfoot around, but to prevent debates degenerating into a silly brawls, attack the arguments of your opponent, not the person. And if that requires some degree of self-censorhip, aka maturity, then so be it.

guest2013-1

i pay good money to NOT be mature in my endevours. if i wanna joke, i joke, if i wanna kick someone in the nuts, i'll kick them in the nuts. i'll live my life the way i want to, instead of what someone else tells me I should live my life as.

I agree on the self-censorship, but all im doing is what WBS is doing. Blaming others for reading my posts, whereas I am well aware that I should be censoring myself, i make it THEIR problem to know what to read and what not.

Ironic isn't it? Or not... pity people don't see the underlying values of what I try to accomplish with my silly little arguments and personal attacks.

they defend WBS for what they did, yet, turn around and get anal when someone (in a different context) do the same thing again... hypocrates the lot of ya!

and to the uninformed, I AM JOKING YOU HUMOURLESS FREAKS! :D

passif

BicPen said:
Sticks and stones may brake my bones but words will never hurt me ;)
picked that up in grade 2 :D
You've never been hit over the head by somebody wielding a large, heavy dictionary. have you? ;)

ic

White Walker [wearing a MyBroadband Jacket]
Super Moderator
Let's avoid a repeat of this in future, there is a line, let's try not cross it

<my_personal_opinion>
Right, well I see that some personal flaming attack activity happened.

Anyways, I was in about 20 minds as to what to do with all this, especially considering that I personally do not like any MyADSL/MyBroadband.co.za members feeling that there is no option but to leave.

Posts like some of the ones in this thread, will definitely push people away from the forum. That is a bad thing, if anything, we should be striving for a forum where SA consumers can unite, instead of driving wedges between ourselves.

I certainly hope that both ScrnScrm and Kei decide to stay on as MyADSL members, and to the countless unregistered visitors to this forum and MyADSL - please stay with MyADSL/MyBroadband.co.za and this the iBurst forum - it belongs to everyone, including those that use Telkomonopoly's ADSL for Internet connectivity ;).

I have decided to leave the posts intact, however they are in a thread of their own now [since they were off topic for the SG pics].

Thank you to those that used the Report Bad Post feature, please continue to do so :).

Regards

ic.​
</my_personal_opinion>

Status
Not open for further replies.