Peugeot 407 reliability and general Peugeot ownership rating.

Chicken888

Hi there,
I would love to get any feedback or general impressions on Peugeot reliability and satisfaction, specifically the 407's.
About to trade my BMW X5 3,0 2003 petrol, which has been an absolute pleasure to drive on the 5 days a month it isn't having an insanely priced breakdown of systematically everything that could break, besides the floor mats.
I have 'only' R100k to spend approx, and need a car with space and a decent build quality. The 407 sw looks great and falls within this price category but so does a merc c180k estate.
Not concerned with status etc, but the all the Merc's seem to last incredibly well and the average initial buyer generally seems to look after them well.
Lastly, the typical mileage seems to be between 120000 - 160000.
Thanks in advance.

Hendrix

U think a BMW was expensive? Just wait till the Peugeot breaks.
As a general rule, don't buy French.
Why not look at something Japanese or Korean if you want reliability?

Chicken888

Thanks, that sounds like good advice - I haven't researched any typical repair costs but I have a fond memory of my fathers old Peugeot Bakkie that clocked over 600000kms without any issue I can remember. Guess modern cars with the level of engineering that goes into them greatly increases the probability of failure and expense.
I've heard that Subaru has an impeccable reliability record, but I suppose a lot the Japanese stables are similar..

Hendrix

French cars also have scary resale value, hence they are cheap second hand.
I'm sure people here will tell stories about the repair prices on frenchies...

I've also heard that subaru's are reliable.
What's your budget on the new car? Any specifics you want?

Wasabee!

Executive Member
The C-class Benz is one of the best cars to buy in terms of resale value. If you have patience, money on hand and knowledge of a good car you can pick up a real bargain. For a R100k as well.

Chicken888

Thanks - there are so many variables to factor into the equation, but all things considered I think the Benz is the best option especially looking at resale and a great reliability record. Love the French as a nation, but reckon I'll leave their cars alone..
Can't wait to see a Tesla listed on autotrader very soon.. surely electrics will end so much of the misery..

bromster

Executive Member
I bought an '09 207 HDi with demo milage for R135k (Retail at the time was R203k). What a pleasure to drive. Has all the bells and whistles. Nice power and torque. I still have it after 4 years and have racked up just over 50000km, and the car is still insured for about R130k, so this is how you beat the resale issue. So far all that has gone wrong is:

1) The rear window washer (the rubber pipe came off)

2) After a service, they screwed up something to do with the fuel pump regulator which they fixed.

3) The cooling fan obliterated itself after 50000km eating into the radiator (out of warranty, would have cost R11k for new fan assembly, radiator and labour but they paid for all the parts out of goodwill and I paid about R2k labour.

4) I am starting to get error messages regarding the rear light cluster bulbs being broken (which they aren't, but I believe this is a loose / faulty earth connection most likely created by my subs' vibration in the boot.

A few tips in my opinion:

1) Get a maintenance plan. The peace of mind would have been worth it in hindsight. I believe all new Peugeots come with a 5 year maintenance plan now anyway. Just make sure you still insist on it if you buy a demo model.

2) Buy a demo and play 2 dealerships against each other to get a good price.

3) Just try the diesel before you buy a petrol. I can't say a single bad thing about mine. And despite what they may say, always idle the car for at least a minute after start and before shutdown.

4) My Michelins on the front are almost worn after 50000km. Not bad imo.

5) Don't buy 500ppm diesel. Ever. And always use the same brand of diesel if possible.

froot

Honorary Master
The HDI diesels that Peugeot use are made by BMW... so the engines are solid at least. Problem is local maintenance.

lestoran

Used to have a Peugoet 406. Great great car. Unbelievably crap local service.

They tried to rip me off - claiming I have a problem with my suspension when it was only a loose bolt (thank g*d for friends who know cars).

After that I took my car to Steve's Auto Clinic who asked me when last I had the car serviced as they had never seen such dirty oil. So it seems they charged me for a service and never even changed the oil.

After a minor accident I was without a car for 2 months as the panelbeaters tried to source a part from Peugoet. In their own words they are both the slowest and most expensive when it comes to shipping parts.

Personally I never go near the brand again.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Here you go : http://www.reeds.co.za/used-vehicles/2008-cadillac-bls-20t-at-u41672
2008 Cadillac BLS 2.0 Turbo with less than 100,000km on the clock for R105k
vehicle-4-284747-1.jpg