Phoning via my landline, but from my pc

rudivdw

Hi guys, I hope you can help...

I need to make lots of calls with my regular Telkom landline, but then I have to manually input the numbers when I dial them - do any of you know of a "phone" that I can operate from my PC (hope that makes sense) - something like a headset that's connected to my phone jack, but I dial from software on my PC.

In other words, I sit in front of the PC, type the number on screen, and my landline starts dialing :)

Would I need to get a dial-up voice modem?

Thanks in advance!
Rudi

ponder

Honorary Master
Just look for a DTMF dialer app and hold the phone receiver to your speakers. You don't have to physically punch the numbers on the phones keypad, the tones are enough to dial.

Tim the Techxpert

Expert Member
Hi Rudi,
Ponder has a good suggestion if you are just using your telephone.
If you want to look at other solutions then you can consider using your internet connectivity and have VoIP using your PC.
You will have to sign up with a VoIP provider but I have found that it reduces my telephony costs especially as I am calling during peak times.
I have used Otel as the provider and there is a R210 per annum subscription and calls charged per second after the first minute. But there are plenty of other providers out there including Skype.
I use the 3-CX dialer app on the PC and a reasonably good headset and mic. Don't go for the inbuilt mic on your laptop.

Regards
Tim

Tim

shogun

Expert Member
Was this not standard functionality (software required) on the old dial-up modems?