Photo editing software

shan13

Hello Newbie here,

I am a noob that wants to get into photo/video editing.
My current small project includes a timelapse of a sunset.
I have used an action camera to shoot the images, the next step it to do some post-processing.
From what I understand, photoshop/lightroom and the adobe suite is the industry accepted suite with the CC the product that they are pushing.

But before I go and shell out a hell of a lot of money monthly, I want to use a standalone product and follow some online tutorials. From what I have seen Lightroom 6 may be a good place to start.

Am I on the right track? Any advide / guidance is welcome.

If you could recommend any places (resellers etc.) for a 2nd hand copy of the license, would also appreciate it.

Thank you.

garyc

Expert Member
FFmpeg is commonly used for generating timelapse videos, and it is free. This software is driven from the command line rather than a GUI, but if you have a large folder full of images that you need to process this can sometimes be easier.

Rescaling all those images prior to generating a video can be done using ImageMagick, once again using the command line. This can also apply a range of editing operations uniformly to all the files.

shan13

FFmpeg is commonly used for generating timelapse videos, and it is free. This software is driven from the command line rather than a GUI, but if you have a large folder full of images that you need to process this can sometimes be easier.

Rescaling all those images prior to generating a video can be done using ImageMagick, once again using the command line. This can also apply a range of editing operations uniformly to all the files.
Thanks [MENTION=97397]garyc[/MENTION] ,

Will give it a try!

I don't know about time lapses specifically, but you also get editing software with Canon cameras and Tamron lenses. Not sure if they are normally free or otherwise available, but it's worth a google.

RedViking

Honorary Master
Go with Adobe. You can't go wrong. They also have subscription. So subscribe and try it out. GIMP, Inkscape and those stuff are rubbish campare to Adobe products.

For photo editing you can also try Affinity Photo.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Thanks [MENTION=57161]genetic[/MENTION],

Not really a fan of GIMP, tried it for a bit.

But will give it another bash
It's keeps getting better - I'm not sure if that's because it is actually improving or just can't get worse :p :)

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Go with Adobe. You can't go wrong. They also have subscription. So subscribe and try it out. GIMP, Inkscape and those stuff are rubbish campare to Adobe products.

For photo editing you can also try Affinity Photo.
I was going to recommend this. I use Affinity Photo every day and it's great. Once-off price of R800 I think. I paid less for being part of the Windows beta.

namzsteve

Expert Member
It's keeps getting better - I'm not sure if that's because it is actually improving or just can't get worse :p :)
:crylaugh:

GIMP seemed to be getting worse for me, then I stopped using it completely, like Quark, Adobe was a new learning curve for me but dammit let's move on people.

Last edited:

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Hello Newbie here,

I am a noob that wants to get into photo/video editing.
My current small project includes a timelapse of a sunset.
I have used an action camera to shoot the images, the next step it to do some post-processing.
From what I understand, photoshop/lightroom and the adobe suite is the industry accepted suite with the CC the product that they are pushing.

But before I go and shell out a hell of a lot of money monthly, I want to use a standalone product and follow some online tutorials. From what I have seen Lightroom 6 may be a good place to start.

Am I on the right track? Any advide / guidance is welcome.

If you could recommend any places (resellers etc.) for a 2nd hand copy of the license, would also appreciate it.

Thank you.
What kind of Action Cam? GoPro has some fairly decent time lapse editing software.

saor

Honorary Master
Can always try out Corel?
I can't stand working in Corel.
Good for vector graphic layouts but ffs the interface and workflow drives me crazy.
Rather just get Adobe.
(I've used gimp and inkscape a lot & still do - not always for photo editing but they've got their strengths for certain things. )

Last edited:

AlphaJohn

Executive Member
I can't stand working in Corel.
Good for vector graphic layouts but ffs the interface and workflow drives me crazy.
Rather just get Adobe.
(I've used gimp and inkscape a lot & still do - not always for photo editing but they've got their strengths for certain things. )
Not referring to Draw, they have Photo-paint and AfterShot in the suite as well ;)

Edit: Personally I use Paint.net as it cover my simple needs and I dont need to wait for 5000 plug-ins to load simply to resizes or add text but I know the ladies in marketing use Corel Photo + Draw and Aftershots. Adobe wants you to mortgage your soul to use commercially esp now with the always online bull.

Last edited: