Photos of South Africa's only Tesla Model X

Hanno Labuschagne

Journalist
Staff member
Photos of South Africa's only Tesla Model X

MyBroadband recently had the opportunity to go hands-on with the only Tesla Model X currently in South Africa.

The famous electric SUV was featured at an event hosted by real estate investment company Growthpoint at its 144 Oxford offices in Rosebank, Johannesburg.

The building is the prime example of where fans of Tesla's environmentally-conscious approach to motoring might want to find themselves working.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Its large battery pack provides a range of 491km before needing a charge.
I'm guessing they didn't drive it the 1055km from here to there?

IMG_7695.JPG

LCBXX

Honorary Master
I suspect there is a huge demand for Teslas locally. It's however pointless IMO to get one, for reasons other than bragging rights, if the main location for "filling it up" is at your house.

Imagine if we could have charging points as widespread as a single-SASOL fuel pumps were in the 80s'-90s. Just as a start to get those who can afford a Tesla to almost travel countrywide.

itareanlnotani

Expert Member
I suspect there is a huge demand for Teslas locally. It's however pointless IMO to get one, for reasons other than bragging rights, if the main location for "filling it up" is at your house.

Imagine if we could have charging points as widespread as a single-SASOL fuel pumps were in the 80s'-90s. Just as a start to get those who can afford a Tesla to almost travel countrywide.
Cheapest landed price for a low end model would be around 1.4 million, so not that much demand yet.

Would need to get a UK model for RHD.

UK price -20% (lose the vat).
Landed price + 10%
+ 15% Customs vat
+25% EV Tax
+ 30% Luxury Tax

w1z4rd

Karmic Sangoma
Cheapest landed price for a low end model would be around 1.4 million, so not that much demand yet.

Would need to get a UK model for RHD.

UK price -20% (lose the vat).
Landed price + 10%
+ 15% Customs vat
+25% EV Tax
+ 30% Luxury Tax
They have an EV tax? That seems counter productive.

Tman*

Expert Member

Imagine telling your employer, so sorry i cant come to work again. I couldn't charge my car due to loadshedding.

I dont think there is a huge demand for teslas locally, unless people buy them to look at them as garage ornaments?

Aghori

Honorary Master
Imagine telling your employer, so sorry i cant come to work again. I couldn't charge my car due to loadshedding.

I dont think there is a huge demand for teslas locally, unless people buy them to look at them as garage ornaments?

50km range per hour of charge on an ordinary wall socket is what I usually should get - this is the slowest method of charging btw.

Your battery has to be totally dead and you'd have to be load-shedded at stage 8 for you not to be able to get to work!

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
I think this model does have a solar panel on the roof to help trickle charge at least

Aghori

Honorary Master
I think this model does have a solar panel on the roof to help trickle charge at least

It also has a 10L yskas and dop dispenser that can be fitted, fark the solar panels I'm going for the dop dispenser.

Imagine having a beer and watching the car drive itself. That's the life boet.

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
There was talk about adding the panel at some stage, I don't know if Elon agreed to it yet or not

w1z4rd

Karmic Sangoma
My dream car is anything electric that I can afford. Still havent found what Im looking for. I have solar at home, so to get an electric vehicle will be perfect. I dont have to worry about the price of fuel changing, how often I "fill up" my car or fuel shortages. I imagine it would be the same sense of freedom you feel when you are no longer beholden to the government to supply you electricity.

Aghori

Honorary Master
My dream car is anything electric that I can afford. Still havent found what Im looking for. I have solar at home, so to get an electric vehicle will be perfect. I dont have to worry about the price of fuel changing, how often I "fill up" my car or fuel shortages. I imagine it would be the same sense of freedom you feel when you are no longer beholden to the government to supply you electricity.

They have one coming soon that's just right for you

w1z4rd

Karmic Sangoma

itareanlnotani

Expert Member
The Tesla X currently here in SA gets .212w / km

Average daily drive to work is 40km.

So you'd need 9KW odd to charge daily use.
It has 100KW battery, so can go 10 days between charges.

Realistically you'd plug it in every day after work, or charge on weekends.

Foxhound5366

Executive Member
Meh, I don't like stories like this. It just emphasises how far behind the rest of the world we are. Ooga-boogah, look at the fancy electric moving carriage, Og. How clever dem American devils are.

Until Tesla invests in a supercharger network in South Africa, they can keep their cars.

w1z4rd

Karmic Sangoma
Meh, I don't like stories like this. It just emphasises how far behind the rest of the world we are. Ooga-boogah, look at the fancy electric moving carriage, Og. How clever dem American devils are.

Until Tesla invests in a supercharger network in South Africa, they can keep their cars.
Thats not a deal breaker for me. 99.9% of my travel is within 100km. Super charger network, while nice, is not that important for me.

Supercarfan

50km range per hour of charge on an ordinary wall socket is what I usually should get - this is the slowest method of charging btw.

Your battery has to be totally dead and you'd have to be load-shedded at stage 8 for you not to be able to get to work!
Using load shedding as an excuse for why EVs won’t work in SA is just silly.

Wish those in charge would wake up to the potential benefit EVs could provide if we were incentivised to sell electricity back into the grid. With V2L everyone with an EV plugged in at night could help manage peak demand by providing power when its most needed, and then charging up again in the middle of the night.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master

Why would it be pointless if you use your car for going from Home to some other place every day and rarely anything else?

I don’t use my petrol car to travel country wide now and that certainly won’t change just because I’ve gone electric.