Physical stores should never ask for your credit card CVV code – Sabric

It's so they can do any deductions after the fact, eg: room damage or speeding fines etc, as a "card present" transaction without the additional transaction costs.

Also why at Computicket you have to collect your tickets and they make an imprint of the card, no CVV though. They're just too ass-backwards to implement a proper payment gateway though.

TimTDP

Expert Member
Maybe banks should simply remove the ccv number from the card and card holders remember it, like their pin, for on-line transactions

saor

Honorary Master
Rather have OTP for all transitions. Would actually like if iI could hit confirm on the phone for even PoS transactions if it's a place I haven't been before.
Yeah, the idea of a static security number (CCV) is a bit ridiculous. Card scammers usually hold card details for a while before using a card, so I'd prefer to reset some detail every few weeks / month etc. but I can't. Luckily more online payment gateways make use of Verified by Visa, but I'd still prefer it everywhere, or an OTP or some password I can change.

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
It's so they can do any deductions after the fact, eg: room damage or speeding fines etc, as a "card present" transaction without the additional transaction costs.
Shouldn't be necessary though? They can do a transaction auth request when you arrive and just follow it up with an advice once the total has been tallied.

Shouldn't be necessary though? They can do a transaction auth request when you arrive and just follow it up with an advice once the total has been tallied.
My "logic" is that you swipe while you are physically there so is "card present". Once you leave, could be ages after the fact for speeding fines and the like, you obviously can't do that so they need to push through an additional transaction, without CVV or a card imprint this is "card not present" and attracts higher fees.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
I memorise mine and then blank it out.

Anyone who isn't an online store and asks for it will be told to fsck off and reported to their bank...

Kosmik

Honorary Master

Also why at Computicket you have to collect your tickets and they make an imprint of the card, no CVV though. They're just too ass-backwards to implement a proper payment gateway though.
Not true anymore. You can print your ticket at home now with online payment options.

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
My "logic" is that you swipe while you are physically there so is "card present". Once you leave, could be ages after the fact for speeding fines and the like, you obviously can't do that so they need to push through an additional transaction, without CVV or a card imprint this is "card not present" and attracts higher fees.
Even so, if it is a chip card that doesn't fallback to magstripe it would be card not present, they'd need your PIN as well ...

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
An authorisation is sent to the cardholder's issuer to reserve the funds.

Any additional charges can be added upon checkout when an advice is sent to deduct the funds.

Anyone trying to circumvent regulations and industry standards in order to save on transaction fees will find themselves in a pool of kark...

Any additional charges can be added upon checkout when an advice is sent to deduct the funds.
Yes at checkout that is done, but 3 weeks later when the parking fine comes in? That's a new transaction, with a CVV number they can push it as a "card present" transaction = less fees.

Apologies for multiple posts to reply, I can't edit for some reason.

Nope.

Chip required for card present.

CVV required for card not present...
On our fee structure if CVV is supplied it's the same transaction fees as the POS machine, if not then it's higher. Our gateway gave us the option to force CVV or not.

This is what I am basing "present" and "not present" on, terminology might be off, it's like a 50 page document of nonsense I had to sign.

vic777

Expert Member
If they have the CVV it's a "card present" transaction.
Not correct. There are multiple factors which indicate whether its a card present transaction or not, e.g. the presence of the chip data in the message, or a magnetic stripe read.

CVV codes are meant for card not present transactions, e.g. MOTO or e-commerce. There are exceptions to this, but it is in no way an indicator that a transaction is card present

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
Yes at checkout that is done, but 3 weeks later when the parking fine comes in? That's a new transaction, with a CVV number they can push it as a "card present" transaction = less fees.
That's wrong on so many levels.
  1. That circumvents industry regulations. They're not supposed to be paying on your behalf without your authorisation - even if you give them permission to do so upfront.
  2. They're not supposed to be pushing through CNP transactions as CP.
  3. What if you wish to dispute the fine? They can't decide on your behalf that you're guilty, and pay it. This goes down to SA law itself, never mind financial regulations.
What they're supposed to do is pass the fine on to you, and let you deal with it...

froot

Honorary Master
Physical stores should never ask for your credit card CVV code – Sabric

Many local businesses are putting South African credit card users at risk by recording their personal details along with their credit card number and CVV code.

A recent investigation by MyBroadband revealed that numerous companies in the travel and tourism industry demand this information from clients when they visit these businesses.
There was a small store where the lady behind the counter wrote down all the clients' card numbers along with the CVV numbers. I very quickly threatened to call the bank should they not scrap it - the risk of fraud is immense, and we as consumers are being put at risk.