Pick n Pay launches new ‘no packaging’ zone

Chuckmyster

Honorary Master
The new zone includes 88 dry grocery products across 15 different categories including dry baking goods, cereals, dried fruit, flour, grains, ground coffee beans, nuts, pasta, pulses and beans, rice, seeds, spices, superfoods, olive oil and vinegar.

I am lost here, how do you buy this stuff that isn't wrapped already? Do i bring my own packet and scoop up what i want into a bag?

LCBXX

Honorary Master
Nope you still not getting it. Woke people are only interested in their race/gender politics. They don't give 2 shytes about environmental issues except in ways they are exploit it for that agenda
Exactly! Why else would PnP do this but to financially benefit from it? It's a lot like, dare I say, vegan menu's at restaurants.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
Plastic is a HUGE problem, a dead whale in Scotland was found to have 100kg "litter ball" inside him/her.

Curious that nobody goes and checks what writing is on the plastic as to determine the source.

maumau

Honorary Master
Curious that nobody goes and checks what writing is on the plastic as to determine the source.
The only thing they said is the ball was made up of land and fishing waste and could have been consumed by the whale at any point between Norway and the Azores.

Chris_the_Brit

High Tory
I will test this out as I live quite close to that PnP.

Also I don't think it is "woke" to care about the environment.

MirageF1

Expert Member
Call me cynical but are the cost of these "foods" exactly the same as before?

Might pop in sometime to PnP to check it out more closely after I've allowed myself a outing to the brand new Checkers centre that's just opened up down the road.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
The only thing they said is the ball was made up of land and fishing waste and could have been consumed by the whale at any point between Norway and the Azores.
The reason I'm hamming on the writing on the packaging is that, based on feedback I've seen from independent explorers of the "plastic island" and other areas where plastic pollution is severe, the source is not from any of the countries that are bandwagoning, and being fingered at UN by Gretha, on curbing plastic waste.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
I will test this out as I live quite close to that PnP.

Also I don't think it is "woke" to care about the environment.
I'll explain why I think it is woke:
None of these initiatives by retailers and restaurants to curb plastic waste addresses the foundational problem where South Africans large throw their trash everywhere, down to people flicking cigarette butts out their car windows whilst driving. Raising awareness does only so much and as far as I can ascertain, the [positive] results of these campaigns in the context of South Africa are never disclosed with supporting data, unless I've missed something.

There are laws and bylaws against littering and illegal dumping but they are practically unenforceable as it stands. Thus, what PnP's initiative ultimately achieves in the greater scheme of addressing plastic pollution is to appease a small minority of people whose uptake of the initiative will not be sufficient as to make the initiative profitable for PnP, let alone make a measurable difference to the pollution problem.

konfab

Honorary Master
I love it... :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

Pick n Pay is piloting a new packaging-free zone at its Constantia store in Cape Town.

The retailer says that the zone will provide customers with the opportunity to purchase a wide range of products without packaging.
The new zone includes 88 dry grocery products across 15 different categories including dry baking goods, cereals, dried fruit, flour, grains, ground coffee beans, nuts, pasta, pulses and beans, rice, seeds, spices, superfoods, olive oil and vinegar. Each category will have a range of products, including gluten-free options.
Why do they engage in this behaviour, packaging is far easier and more convenient. And as the article says, packaged food lasts longer.

The answer is that this is a costly signal.
If something doesn't make sense, your go-to hypothesis should be "costly signalling." The core idea is more than a century old, but new wrinkles deserve wider exposure. Veblen's "conspicuous consumption" explained why people lit their cigars with $100 bills as a costly signal of their wealth. Later economists showed that a signal of a hidden trait becomes reliable if the cost of faking it is more than the expected gain. For example, Spence showed that college degrees (even in irrelevant subjects) can reliably signal good future employees because they are too costly for bad employees to obtain.

Darwin said, "The sight of a feather in a peacock's tail, whenever I gaze at it, makes me sick!" because he couldn't see its adaptive benefit. It makes perfect sense as a costly signal, however, because the peacock has to be quite fit to survive with a tail like that! Why do strong gazelles waste time and energy "stotting" (jumping vertically) when they see a cheetah? That is a costly signal of their strength and the cheetahs chase after other gazelles. Biologists came to accept the idea only in 1990 and now apply it to signalling between parents and offspring, predator and prey, males and females, siblings, and many other relationships.
https://www.edge.org/response-detail/27076
The only reason why people want this is because they want to demonstrate to the world that they are rich enough to be inconvenienced by not having packaging. Not buying a plastic bag for your almond flour, then getting in your BMW X5 with its turbocharged V8 is exactly the definition of a costly signal.

konfab

Honorary Master
I'll explain why I think it is woke:
None of these initiatives by retailers and restaurants to curb plastic waste addresses the foundational problem where South Africans large throw their trash everywhere, down to people flicking cigarette butts out their car windows whilst driving. Raising awareness does only so much and as far as I can ascertain, the [positive] results of these campaigns in the context of South Africa are never disclosed with supporting data, unless I've missed something.

There are laws and bylaws against littering and illegal dumping but they are practically unenforceable as it stands. Thus, what PnP's initiative ultimately achieves in the greater scheme of addressing plastic pollution is to appease a small minority of people whose uptake of the initiative will not be sufficient as to make the initiative profitable for PnP, let alone make a measurable difference to the pollution problem.
The people who would want to go to this are likely not to be the people throwing plastic bags everywhere.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
The people who would want to go to this are likely not to be the people throwing plastic bags everywhere.
Agreed. More likely they'd be people who'd virtue-signal-for likes whilst "doing my bit for the environment, #SaveThePlanet #HealthyLiving #MeToo" on Instagram.

grok

Honorary Master
Call me cynical but are the cost of these "foods" exactly the same as before?

Might pop in sometime to PnP to check it out more closely after I've allowed myself a outing to the brand new Checkers centre that's just opened up down the road.
Jeez some people have everything, my closest Checkers is a stinky tiley 70's shop and I wouldn't even buy stuff for my dog at my closest P&P's fresh produce section.

At least my Woolies Food Hall & Spar's are ok..