PICS: Armed robbers hit Hillsong church in Cape Town

jack_spratt

Armed robbers targeted the Hillsong Church in Century City, Cape Town, on Monday and have yet to be arrested.

"According to information, two suspects, one armed, entered the church and robbed the employees inside the premises of their cellphones," said Sergeant Noloyiso Rwexana.

Western Cape police clarified that it was not a hostage situation, as had been claimed on social media.

Rwexana said the incident was under investigation.
Link

evilstebunny

Honorary Master
Maybe if they prayed hard enough for protection from the thieves their sky daddy would have swooped down in a flurry of fantasy club member special benefits..? Or am I mixing my Avengers fantasies again?

Oh wait, wasn't that place Sol Kerzner's mega club at Ratanga? Can't remember the name right now, but then granted some parts of Cape Town 2000/2001 was a bit of a blur :)
Despite spending a debauched evening or two there, god so many beautiful people in one place!, the scene was way too commercial & stifling for my taste.
Also some overbearing gorilla bouncer told me to remove my shades, totally messed with my swag lol, so I never went back and stuck to outdoors trance parties rather.

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
This was bound to start happening, these churches hold 100's of 1000's in collections after Sunday services.

It was just a matter of time before the CIT syndicates made a move.
They hold so much cash and most of them have very little security or cash management. I have a friend at one of the other big CT churches and they have members counting the collections after the services :X3:

daveza

Honorary Master
There's something about a 'church' situated on some of the most expensive real estate in the city that leaves a very bad taste in the mouth.

Cr419

Executive Member
This was bound to start happening, these churches hold 100's of 1000's in collections after Sunday services.

It was just a matter of time before the CIT syndicates made a move.
They hold so much cash and most of them have very little security or cash management. I have a friend at one of the other big CT churches and they have members counting the collections after the services :X3:
The CC church also has a lot of expensive equipment in there. A few months ago the staff was also hijacked in Gugulethu, all their expensive equipment in the bus was gone (obviously) by the time they got the bus back.

@daveza , why would the location of the church be an issue for you? That's just a bit weird.

Last edited:

Azg

Expert Member
There's something about a 'church' situated on some of the most expensive real estate in the city that leaves a very bad taste in the mouth.
It's to cater for those people who stay in Century City and surrounding areas.

LCBXX

Executive Member
I, for one, am more curious as to what message God was sending by bring this event on the path of these worshippers.

jack_spratt

I, for one, am more curious as to what message God was sending by bring this event on the path of these worshippers.
Perhaps its not to put their faith in money?

I do think that some of the faithful will now feel the call to missionary work in Oz. Perhaps that?

LCBXX

Executive Member
Some here seem to really be bitter towards Christians...
Yeah well, the religion has some history that might be cause for some to be bitter: Spanish inquisition, Knights Templar, Catholicism, Evangelism, Pastor Mboro, etc.

RedViking

Honorary Master
Anyone hurt? Not much information in article. They will probably now have to get armed security. I can see how churches can be an easy target, but that said. If someone wants to rob and kill, security won't be able to stop it.