• You are not registered on MyBroadband, which means you miss out on great benefits. To join our community is very easy, and completely free. Register now.
  • New Two-Day Giveaway - Enter Here

PICS: Protesters torch Gugulethu fire station

schumi

Honorary Master
Cape Town - Protesters set the Gugulethu Fire Station alight on Thursday morning, forcing firefighters to vacate the premises.

They stayed in the drill yard until Metro Police and Law Enforcement had dispersed the protesters.

"The front of the Fire Station had sustained severe damage, including the watch room, engine bay doors and the security entrance gate," said Theo Layne, the spokesperson for the City of Cape Town's Fire and Rescue Services.
More at: https://www.iol.co.za/news/south-af...testers-torch-gugulethu-fire-station-15971195

Suspect99

Expert Member
Firefighters from Mitchell's Plain Fire Station responded to the incident, but blockaded roadways and burning tyres left the firefighters no other choice but to take a long detour to get to the fire station.
Lol, why didn't gugulethu respond to their own fire?

konfab

Honorary Master
1) Burn down fire station in township
2) Set fire to township.
3) ?!?!??!?!?!
4) Profit?

Icemanbrfc

Honorary Master
so when there is a fire, then what now? i suppose they going to cry foul, because the fire brigade were to slow to respond, and moan about poor service delivery etc. Sigh, what an absolute joke

ponder

Honorary Master
so when there is a fire, then what now? i suppose they going to cry foul, because the fire brigade were to slow to respond, and moan about poor service delivery etc. Sigh, what an absolute joke
and burn the clinic down, then when their kids get sick and there's no clinic left they burn the municipal offices down, rinse and repeat.

daveza

Honorary Master
https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/so...-torched-cape-town-fire-station-could-be-r1m/

Damage caused by protesters who torched a Cape Town fire station could cost R1-million to repair‚ the City of Cape Town said on Thursday.

The mayoral committee member for safety and security‚ JP Smith‚ said trauma counselling was being provided for the nine firefighters who were forced to flee Gugulethu fire station shortly before 4.30am.

“It will take several days to ascertain the cost of the damage wrought in this callous attack‚ but on the face of it we are potentially looking at as much as R1-million — money that will have to be diverted from another community project as the repair of the fire station is a priority.”
Wtf repair it - so they can burn it down again ?

What was the protest about? Certainly not service delivery. Please... Tell me it isn't so.

I mean... really.

Otherwise can we get the service delivery protesters to take on these guys maybe?