Pierre van ryneveld ftth/ wireless fibre

phoneJunky

Executive Member
Continuing from the PVR ADSL Thread

Delitech IT Solutions is so far the only commercial supplier of fibre to our neighbourhood.

DelitechITSolutions said:
Retail pricing is as follows:

+- 20mbps - R999
+- 50mbps - R1399
+- 100mbps - R1799

Installation:
* R2899 (own modem with a WAN port) or R3499 (modem included)

Features:
* Symmetrical
* Low latency
* Zero rated Netflix, Showmax, DSTV Now, Youtube, Steam and Origin traffic
* Optimised for gaming and streaming
* 24/7 monitoring & response team

FUP (in short):
* P2P, NNTP etc may be deprioritised if the network is busy
* Extensive downloads (e.g. P2P, software etc. to be scheduled between 00:00 and 05:00) (literally those who download drive after drive of "stuff")
* No full-scale business use on home connections

Remember, we're rolling out in 2-3 months (may be earlier, may be delayed a bit). Your property has to be within 1.5km of one of the wireless fibre access points.

For details, see the project website (http://www.ryneveldfibre.co.za).
But the ftth offering is currently limited to only Herzog/Verwoerd, Beves, Van Ryneveld, Mustang/Spitfire, Mustang/Baltimore, and parts of Dan Pienaar if you can get a cluster of house holds to sign up.

If you are not lucky enough to be in that very limited area, you can make use of their Wireless Fibre - which I think will probably happen in my case. On their website they say they are going live in 3 months time which will be August.

The wireless fibre footprint is shown below:
UPDATED-COVERAGE-MAP.jpg

More information can be found here

@DelitechITSolutions I am currently showing your coverage map. Let me know if you don't want it on here then I will create a link to it rather.

bigboy529

Expert Member
Since my neighbourhood Rietvallei park is not on any OpenServe fiber maps as planned even though they are busy installing right next to me in Elardus park, I thought to give this a try.
Apparently I fall within their coverage even though I'm not in PVR but on the other side of the R21 highway, so I sent in my application and will see how it goes.

Syphonx

Expert Member
What is this nonsense of wireless fibre, no such thing. They are offering a WISP service. This is a ridiculous as Telkom calling their ADSL "Fibre ADSL" because their backbone network consists of fibre.

koeksGHT

Dealer
What is this nonsense of wireless fibre, no such thing. They are offering a WISP service. This is a ridiculous as Telkom calling their ADSL "Fibre ADSL" because their backbone network consists of fibre.

Shhh, it's wireless fibre.

phoneJunky

Executive Member

Ja, you are right. But they do connect you up to real fibre if you are close enough. Hopefully the "wireless fibre" is just a stepping stone till all the infrastructure is in place.

martin

Expert Member
Giving this a go, having tried both ADSL and Telkom LTE for 4 years and almost 2 years respectively and finding both to be intermittent at best in our area. LTE looked very promising in the first four months of use but has steadily been declining to the point of being unusable at times.

I made a personal appointment to see go see the owner of Delitech (under which Ryneveld True Broadband will operate as a business unit) and have followed that up with many an online conversation with him. Admittedly I don't have much to lose trying out this service but the conversations have made me far comfortable signing up for this. They really do seem very focused on providing a better broadband experience than is currently available to the area.

I'm also under no delusions about 'wireless fibre' for what it's worth. But since Telkom isn't planning on trenching Pierre van Ryneveld anytime soon and the existing services aren't reliable, I'm all for trying out an alternative where I know exactly what's being used for backbone and fail-over and the provider's offices is a five minute drive from my home.

EDIT: The FAQ is worth a read: http://www.ryneveldfibre.co.za/faq/

Last edited:

phoneJunky

Executive Member
I also went for a chat. I am apparently close enough for ftth, but there is no one yet in close proximity that has also applied. From the sounds of it the want at least 4 houses is close proximity to make ftth feasible to them

bigboy529

Expert Member
I also went for a chat. I am apparently close enough for ftth, but there is no one yet in close proximity that has also applied. From the sounds of it the want at least 4 houses is close proximity to make ftth feasible to them

Will they give you guys the option to take wireless then go over to FTTH is soon as there are enough people?

I told them from the start ultimately I'd also like to be on FTTH, but since OpenServe is only rolling out fiber within the next 6 to 18 months in my street, I'm going to have to take wireless for now.

phoneJunky

Executive Member
Will they give you guys the option to take wireless then go over to FTTH is soon as there are enough people?

I told them from the start ultimately I'd also like to be on FTTH, but since OpenServe is only rolling out fiber within the next 6 to 18 months in my street, I'm going to have to take wireless for now.

Yes, you can only apply for the wireless. They will monitor the area and ask if you if you want to go over to wireless once it becomes feasible for them. From the sounds of it, they ultimately want everyone on FTTH, but it is too expensive to just bring 1 fibre line just to you.

bigboy529

Expert Member
What speed package are you guys looking to start off with?
I asked and during the contract period you can go up to a faster package, but not down again to a slower one.

phoneJunky

Executive Member
I am getting the 20Mbps package. Will already be 5 times faster than my adsl I have currently.

bigboy529

Expert Member
I am getting the 20Mbps package. Will already be 5 times faster than my adsl I have currently.

Same here, starting with the 20 Mbps. I'm suppose to have 8 Mbps ADSL but getting more like 5 Mbps if I'm lucky on a good day.

phoneJunky

Executive Member
Same here, starting with the 20 Mbps. I'm suppose to have 8 Mbps ADSL but getting more like 5 Mbps if I'm lucky on a good day.

I am supposed to be able to get 10Mbps but whenever I request the upgrade, they cancel it.

The jump to 50 isn't that bad either, but I will first monitor my situation.

martin

Expert Member

I'm going for 50 mbps. Signed up early so getting it at the discounted rate though.

On a related note, Telkom's LTE has been almost unusable these last two days. All the various signal figures are above average too. There were times at the start of the service where I considered 30mbps to be a slow night. My speed tests now average at around 3 - 4 mbps but I stuggle to open Google's search page.

edwin303

OK I joined just for this conversation. I have been monitoring the back and forth between the two oaks claiming to be fibre providers here in Pierre v Ryneveld. So you guys seem to be going with Ryneveld True Broabdand rather than Nethost. I am really not fishing I'm just trying to figure out why, because I am still undecided. I don't want to go with X and pay for installation and not be satisfied, or vice versa. The RTB people seem to be more transparent about everything and all but their installation is much more expensive than Nethost. What are your views?

edwin303

Also it seems that Nethost is able to immediately connect FTTH by the way they are advertising while RTB seems to have a waiting period. How is the one able to promise an immediate connection and the other talks about stuff like environment studies on their website?

martin

Expert Member
Also it seems that Nethost is able to immediately connect FTTH by the way they are advertising while RTB seems to have a waiting period. How is the one able to promise an immediate connection and the other talks about stuff like environment studies on their website?

Are you sure they can immediately connect you with FTTH? Regardless of where you stay in PvR?

My advice to you would be to phone or make an appointment with both companies. Ask them the tough questions about coverage, SLA's, contract cancellation, fail-over, backhaul, open access and the legality of their infrastructure. Demand it on paper if you have concerns. If neither of the two impress you then also consider giving ADSL a go. Better the devil you know and all of that...

What it boils down to for me: I've stated why I'm giving RTB a go in this and the other PvR thread but I'm not attempting to convince anyone. It really is nothing more than my own opinion. I'd still advise you to check the facts and make up your own mind.

phoneJunky

Executive Member
OK I joined just for this conversation. I have been monitoring the back and forth between the two oaks claiming to be fibre providers here in Pierre v Ryneveld. So you guys seem to be going with Ryneveld True Broabdand rather than Nethost. I am really not fishing I'm just trying to figure out why, because I am still undecided. I don't want to go with X and pay for installation and not be satisfied, or vice versa. The RTB people seem to be more transparent about everything and all but their installation is much more expensive than Nethost. What are your views?

Go to their facebook page. In my area they are only connecting two complexes

phoneJunky

Executive Member
Also they only seem to be clustering around the Spar area for now. If you are lucky enough to stay in van Ryneveld avenue they will probably be able to connect you up quickly.

Their packages are:

2Mbps Uncapped - R350
4Mbps Uncapped - R599
10Mbps Uncapped - R799
20Mbps Uncapped - R1050
50Mbps Uncapped - R1499
50Mbps Uncapped - R1950

Installation Fee R500 with 6 months contract
or R1700 without a contract

Their higher packages is more expensive than RTB but their installation is considerably cheaper.