Pierre van ryneveld ftth/ wireless fibre

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
If you want true fibre in this area, please pm me. I'd love to talk. We have a couple of complexes that we are looking at as feasible, I mean the first one is 50 meters from the dfa link, so it's a no brained for us to build.

I mean actual fibre end to end, no wireless. Preferably if you're in a complex.

Just a heads up, I'm not your TT Connect guy anymore.

phoneJunky

Executive Member
If you want true fibre in this area, please pm me. I'd love to talk. We have a couple of complexes that we are looking at as feasible, I mean the first one is 50 meters from the dfa link, so it's a no brained for us to build.

I am in a house close, 50m away from a complex. But RTB might install a fibre line to my house as I am on a orange line on that graph and my application is not in yet with 2 other people in my street also close to signing up.

edwin303

I dont see this happening as easy you say. My complex is full of old people, so it will be a big challenge. Our neigboring complex already has a agreement with the Nethost guy. Speaking of which I cannot find his website or anything. I see he posted on FB that they were upgrading their site and would be live the next week but alas, nothing yet. The RTB people told me they have a few complexes already lined up but the problem is typically that the BC must approve trenching, that takes multiple meetings in many cases as the owners need to vote, and then it requires some municipal processes that can take some time. An Openserve guy told me they are coming to PvR some time next year. But seeing how their prices stack up to RTB I don't think they will be in time to catch up with the two existing players. Personally I submitted a RTB application last week as its the only option for my complex. The old folks hardly know what fibre is let alone give a majority vote to go ahead. Plus I like their FUP and transparency and the fact that they are local. Anyway, let us know your plans, its good to know there are more options coming on the table.

Last edited:

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
I dont see this happening as easy you say. My complex is full of old people, so it will be a big challenge. Our neigboring complex already has a agreement with the Nethost guy. Speaking of which I cannot find his website or anything. I see he posted on FB that they were upgrading their site and would be live the next week but alas, nothing yet. The RTB people told me they have a few complexes already lined up but the problem is typically that the BC must approve trenching, that takes multiple meetings in many cases as the owners need to vote, and then it requires some municipal processes that can take some time. An Openserve guy told me they are coming to PvR some time next year. But seeing how their prices stack up to RTB I don't think they will be in time to catch up with the two existing players. Personally I submitted a RTB application last week as its the only option for my complex. The old folks hardly know what fibre is let alone give a majority vote to go ahead. Plus I like their FUP and transparency and the fact that they are local. Anyway, let us know your plans, its good to know there are more options coming on the table.

PM the complex details.

phoneJunky

Executive Member
Got my invoice from RTB. Doesn't look like we got enough people in my area for FTTH though :(

But atleast this option is also much faster than the 4Mbps ADSL that I can get at the moment.

martin

Expert Member
Got my invoice from RTB. Doesn't look like we got enough people in my area for FTTH though :(

But atleast this option is also much faster than the 4Mbps ADSL that I can get at the moment.

Some of the invoices weren't sent out so I'm still waiting for mine but they're aware of it. We ended up needing four more houses to be considered for FTTH.

I'm so ready for a change. I can't work on my LTE connection anymore in the evenings. I sometimes stuggle to even load a web page. I now have to stay at the office whenever I need to work overtime which tends to be quite often these days.

Joeboy69

Expert Member
Direct link to page with the details? Clicked a few without success

martin

Expert Member
Thanks. Quite unfortunate

Indeed. I'm officially out of reliable options for working from home. Tried a WISP and various operator's 3G offerings. I tried ADSL twice (with various ISP's) and I'm currently using LTE.

Joeboy69

Expert Member
Also moved from ADSL to LTE. Thinking of adding a poynting though

martin

Expert Member
Also moved from ADSL to LTE. Thinking of adding a poynting though

I have one, it helps a bit improve signal a bit but I'm convinced my issues are related to an oversubscribed tower and inadequate backhaul.

DelitechITSolutions

We've tested Rain LTE in your immediate area today, @martin - getting 45mbps using the standard B618 router without external antennas. Rain LTE in PvR doesn't have many subscribers yet, so it might be a temporary solution, albeit it at great expense (no uncapped on Rain LTE yet). Feel free to pop in at our office any time to look at the options. That said, Ryneveld True Broadband is going to roll out. DFA is committed to our project. We're working on other ways to get connected as a temporary measure, but we may not be able to offer more than 20mbps in the interim. Keep an eye on the Ryneveld True Broadband Facebook page for updates.

martin

Expert Member
We've tested Rain LTE in your immediate area today, @martin - getting 45mbps using the standard B618 router without external antennas. Rain LTE in PvR doesn't have many subscribers yet, so it might be a temporary solution, albeit it at great expense (no uncapped on Rain LTE yet). Feel free to pop in at our office any time to look at the options. That said, Ryneveld True Broadband is going to roll out. DFA is committed to our project. We're working on other ways to get connected as a temporary measure, but we may not be able to offer more than 20mbps in the interim. Keep an eye on the Ryneveld True Broadband Facebook page for updates.

Don't fall within Rain coverage. Besides that, there are other factors that would not make me consider them:
- Pricing is just not feasible. I'll blow through the lower-end caps as soon as one of the Windows PC's/PS4 decides to update or the kids get hold of cellphone and decide to watch Youtube. I'm not interested in the extra effort of having to carefully meter all internet usage.
- Mandatory router purchase (I already own three LTE routers)
- Not taking a chance on a company trying to scale very quickly that are still finding their feet in the LTE space. They also don't have a stellar record as WBS/Iburst
- Other operators have proven that it's really hard to get LTE right in suburban areas like ours. Lack of towers and I suspect sufficient back haul means it's inevitable that speeds will degrade as more people hop on to towers. LTE may one day be a good option for last mile but I reckon for it to properly work, the area needs plenty of towers and a decent amount of lit fibre in place already.

Will keep monitoring your page though.

Last edited:

DelitechITSolutions

Sure, you'll have to hang in there then. As for Rain coverage, PvR reveals interesting things. Our tests in upper PvR, in the midst of the Rain coverage area, we got 3mbps max inside one of the homes yesterday. Moving the router onto the roof (outdoors) got us to 11mbps. In the fields near Klopper street, completely out of coverage, we got 30mbps. I think we might see larger 'caps' on Rain soon, but I doubt we'll see uncapped offerings - they aren't sustainable on LTE (as is evident from Telkom LTE in PvR - the majority of users that came to talk to us can't get beyond 15mbps in daytime, let alone peak times). Don't shoot Rain down to quickly though - they've invested heavily into the old iBurst network. Things might change as their network gets congested again, though.

martin

Expert Member
Don't shoot Rain down to quickly though - they've invested heavily into the old iBurst network. Things might change as their network gets congested again, though.

I'm willing to wager that things will most definitely change once congestion kicks in. Buying another router to make use of them only for it to become another expensive ornament down the road means I don't learn from my mistakes. I'll wait for you guys.

martin

Expert Member
We're working on other ways to get connected as a temporary measure, but we may not be able to offer more than 20mbps in the interim. Keep an eye on the Ryneveld True Broadband Facebook page for updates.

Somehow missed this. Tell me more please.

Joeboy69

Expert Member
Apologies for reviving this year old thread, but what have you guys in PvR done in the last 12 months, noting all the trenches that were dug etc? Seems only the complexes are feeling the fibre love at this stage, so I will need to wait patiently with my LTE ...