Pierre van ryneveld ftth/ wireless fibre

martin

Expert Member
Apologies for reviving this year old thread, but what have you guys in PvR done in the last 12 months, noting all the trenches that were dug etc? Seems only the complexes are feeling the fibre love at this stage, so I will need to wait patiently with my LTE ...

I'm still on LTE. Metrofibre wants to introduce fibre into PvR for freestanding properties but are apparently being denied permits to trench (last I heard). I know there is also a workaround being proposed to take the fibre cables through properties suspended on poles but the reception to this idea seems lukewarm, based on the Facebook responses I've seen.

Cactus

I'm still on LTE. Metrofibre wants to introduce fibre into PvR for freestanding properties but are apparently being denied permits to trench (last I heard). I know there is also a workaround being proposed to take the fibre cables through properties suspended on poles but the reception to this idea seems lukewarm, based on the Facebook responses I've seen.

That's very unfortunate. I'm also on LTE

Apogee

Any idea why Metrofibre are being denied the permits?

Our neighborhood also seriously want to get fibre, and we are close to PvR.

martin

Expert Member

This is apparently why: https://mybroadband.co.za/news/fibr...ding-back-fibre-rollouts-in-south-africa.html

"Instead of assisting private enterprises to roll out fibre networks in their municipalities, the municipalities wanted to roll out their own fibre infrastructure.

The argument at the time was that the municipality would trench and build ducting which all fibre players could use.

A single duct makes sense and can reduce costs, but there was a big problem – municipalities did not have the skills to execute their plans.

Instead of admitting that they could not roll out fibre infrastructure, local government stubbornly fought against private companies rolling out fibre in areas which they controlled."

EDIT: And to add insult to injury: https://techcentral.co.za/telecoms-industry-sees-red-over-new-tshwane-fees/81957/

Last edited:

Apogee

This is apparently why: https://mybroadband.co.za/news/fibr...ding-back-fibre-rollouts-in-south-africa.html

"Instead of assisting private enterprises to roll out fibre networks in their municipalities, the municipalities wanted to roll out their own fibre infrastructure.

The argument at the time was that the municipality would trench and build ducting which all fibre players could use.

A single duct makes sense and can reduce costs, but there was a big problem – municipalities did not have the skills to execute their plans.

Instead of admitting that they could not roll out fibre infrastructure, local government stubbornly fought against private companies rolling out fibre in areas which they controlled."

EDIT: And to add insult to injury: https://techcentral.co.za/telecoms-industry-sees-red-over-new-tshwane-fees/81957/

My goodness, but SA is truly 3rd-world in every sense of the word, if they cannot understand that having good connectivity add to its citizens' well-being and prosperity - which in turn can enable more people to pay taxes.

We will therefore not see fibre in our lifetime, unless we move elsewhere.

Thanks for the info though.

phoneJunky

Executive Member
See that there is trenching again in our area. Does anyone know who it is? Seems like the delitech ftth hasn't panned out yet and it is almost 2 years later

martin

Expert Member
See that there is trenching again in our area. Does anyone know who it is? Seems like the delitech ftth hasn't panned out yet and it is almost 2 years later

I had a look at the trenches yesterday but there's nothing in there yet. I doubt it's for fiber though (see below).

Yeah, Delitech gave an update again the other day on Facebook. Tshwane wayleave applications for trenching are apparently insanely expensive which makes trenching less attractive for ISP's in our city unless the demand is proven to be there. The wayleave applications are an additional expense to the trenching itself. Delitech have looked into taking fiber directly through people's properties via poles but a lot of people are objecting to that idea and it's pretty much an all or nothing solution as I understand it. They also investigated piggybacking on Telkom poles but Telkom wants to charge R90 per pole apparently.

phoneJunky

Executive Member
I had a look at the trenches yesterday but there's nothing in there yet. I doubt it's for fiber though (see below).

Yeah, Delitech gave an update again the other day on Facebook. Tshwane wayleave applications for trenching are apparently insanely expensive which makes trenching less attractive for ISP's in our city unless the demand is proven to be there. The wayleave applications are an additional expense to the trenching itself. Delitech have looked into taking fiber directly through people's properties via poles but a lot of people are objecting to that idea and it's pretty much an all or nothing solution as I understand it. They also investigated piggybacking on Telkom poles but Telkom wants to charge R90 per pole apparently.

Is that R90 a pole a once off cost? If so that shouldn't be too expensive if we are a sizeable amount of people. Delitech last said that they were looking at connecting 1000+ people so that should average out well.

martin

Expert Member
Is that R90 a pole a once off cost? If so that shouldn't be too expensive if we are a sizeable amount of people. Delitech last said that they were looking at connecting 1000+ people so that should average out well.

Apologies, that's per pole per month according to Delitech.

DelitechITSolutions

Normandy Gardens is currently on closed access fibre via Nethost. With Tshwane inspectors now scrutinizing that deployment and Nethost approaching Delitech for talks, we're now looking at getting Normandy Gardens etc. onto MFN instead, hence the trenching in the area.

There's also trenching going on in the Corobrik area; for example, Delitech's deployment to Njalapark is kicking off this Monday (27/8/18). Initec (the MFN contractor) is also trenching down Dan Pienaar, and will go all the way to the complexes in the Veglaer/Vorster areas. So yes, the complexes are "feeling the love", firstly because many of these wayleaves were approved under the previous Tshwane administration, but also because it's much easier to convince a chairperson and two or so trustees to bring fibre to an entire complex, than it appears to be to convince four or so homeowners to allow an ugly pole to planted in their yard. The good news is that MFN is preparing for a more standard deployment of FTTH (rather than aerial fibre) as they trench. The bad news is that they are unable to actually connect properties at this time.

The continued fragmentation in the local market is also seriously detrimental, and now with multiple MFN resellers telling local folks different stories (one provider is actually taking applications for freestanding homes to be connected, knowing full well it's impossible to get them connected "just like that"), things are getting more confusing.

During our last meeting with MFN engineers at our office, they affirmed their requirement for us to bring a whole street block committed to the deployment of fibre, be it aerial or otherwise, to the table. Currently, that's the target we're chasing. However, it's unbelievably difficult when Ms X says "I'm happy with my 2gig Vodacom" and Mr Y says "I'm not interested in fibre at all" and they're on two of the properties crucial to any deployment. Also, with the contractors messing up from time to time, it doesn't help. Nevertheless, we're now at the point where we're starting to arrange meetings with those who WANT fibre in certain streets to help us at least engage those who DON'T want fibre. Keep an eye on the Ryneveld Fibre Facebook page for requests to this effect.

(And yes, Telkom wants R90 per pole per month. We are not willing to agree to that, and MFN isn't very keen on using their poles anyway).

[DP]

Last edited:

phoneJunky

Executive Member
There's also trenching going on in the Corobrik area; for example, Delitech's deployment to Njalapark is kicking off this Monday (27/8/18). Initec (the MFN contractor) is also trenching down Dan Pienaar, and will go all the way to the complexes in the Veglaer/Vorster areas. So yes, the complexes are "feeling the love", firstly because many of these wayleaves were approved under the previous Tshwane administration, but also because it's much easier to convince a chairperson and two or so trustees to bring fibre to an entire complex, than it appears to be to convince four or so homeowners to allow an ugly pole to planted in their yard. The good news is that MFN is preparing for a more standard deployment of FTTH (rather than aerial fibre) as they trench. The bad news is that they are unable to actually connect properties at this time.
So those houses next to the trenching in Kirkness/Corobrick/Veglaer/Vorster won't be able to be connected as yet? I was hoping that they would connect those people just to give the people a taste of it in our area. Then people will be much more accommodating to in the future as I know that my neighbors would want it if it is just a few streets away.

DelitechITSolutions

Which neighbourhood? Most of Irene, Elardus Park, Waterkloof Ridge and Monument Park all have OpenServe already?

DelitechITSolutions

So those houses next to the trenching in Kirkness/Corobrick/Veglaer/Vorster won't be able to be connected as yet? I was hoping that they would connect those people just to give the people a taste of it in our area. Then people will be much more accommodating to in the future as I know that my neighbors would want it if it is just a few streets away.

Sadly, until they get the approvals from Tshwane, they cannot connect anyone - not even if the fibre artery runs next to their property.

Quintrix

Metrofibre installations done in Fouche. Residents waiting for fibre to go live. Apparently some are live already

DelitechITSolutions

True, but if you sign up with MFN directly, you will pay MFN prices and you will have to pay the activation fee again if you later wish to switch ISPs. Wait until your complex is signed off, and you'll be able to benefit from other ISPs (see "Get connected" on MFN) or even RTB features and pricing - see www.ryneveldfibre.co.za. [DP]

Last edited:

Mista_Mobsta

Expert Member
Any feedback regarding our moronic reps @ Tshwane's decision to make the trenching so outrageously expensive yet? Specifically looking at the Aerosud area of PVR. Unfortunately the CellC LTE throughput rates during peak hours are dismal at best as of late and it seems there's not much we can do about that.

martin

Expert Member
Any feedback regarding our moronic reps @ Tshwane's decision to make the trenching so outrageously expensive yet? Specifically looking at the Aerosud area of PVR. Unfortunately the CellC LTE throughput rates during peak hours are dismal at best as of late and it seems there's not much we can do about that.

I'd advise you to get in touch with Delitech on Facebook. They seem to be the most clued-in on the progress of these things and they owner has been more than willing to answer my questions on multiple occasions.

Mista_Mobsta

Expert Member
I'd advise you to get in touch with Delitech on Facebook. They seem to be the most clued-in on the progress of these things and they owner has been more than willing to answer my questions on multiple occasions.
Yep have been in touch with Dewald already...just wanted some space to rant as all my e-mails to council have gone unanswered

Jaaks

So any updates on the Fibre Saga? There was a Vox branded table at the Spar on Sunday 6 Jan advertising connections to most of PvR. I did not get all the details but did fill in yet another form requesting a quote. I really hope that maybe one day soon we can get fibre. (I live in the Lord of the rings area. Lewis, Hobbit, just off Frodo Street.)

Last edited:

martin

Expert Member
So any updates on the Fibre Saga? There was a VX branded table at the Spar on Sunday 6 Jan advertising connections to most of PvR. I did not get all the details but did fill in yet another form requesting a quote. I really hope that maybe one day soon we can get fibre. (I live in the Lord of the rings area. Lewis, Hobbit, just off Frodo Street.)

Apologies, my brain is still on holiday mode. Does VX refer to Vox?