Pierre van ryneveld ftth/ wireless fibre

wernervn

We're getting there, eventually. There's a *lot* of red tape involved to get a network provider remotely interested. Then it takes *ages* to get wayleaves financed, let alone approved. Took 2 years and 4 months and *lots* of door to door begging to get lower Van Deventer/Dan Pienaar approved and ready to launch.

Telkom however should have started with their aerial deployment in the Aerosud area by now - I wonder what's holding them up... Will see if I can find out. DP

I'll really appreciate that. Also just to confirm - we won't have to use Telkom as ISP? I'd rather go with anyone else...

DelitechITSolutions

@wernervn - If it's Frogfoot or MFN that rolls out to Aerosud, Telkom is one of the ISP options, but luckily not the only one. If it's Telkom that rolls out to Aerosud, you'll be able to have your data account through another ISP, but the line will still be under Telkom (Openserve).

wernervn

@DelitechITSolutions I just noticed that the MetroFibre fibre coverage website shows the AeroSud area as planned.

Would this be part of the roll out you guys are doing with them?

DelitechITSolutions

(MFN doesn't usually publish a coverage map - maybe you've seen our coverage map at the Lifestyle centre - but that definitely doesn't show Aerosud coverage...) MFN most defintely plans to roll out to the Aerosud area, but does not have council approval yet. Almost signing off Van Deventer roll out, next is the Upper Kirkness roll out. We don't have an ETA but I believe the Spitfire/Mustang block (all the small horizontal streets) will be next considering the Mirage pilot that is in progress. [DP]

Cactus

So I just checked Openserve's coverages maps as I sometimes do and saw the updated map. I'm hoping it's not a mistake, because I didn't actually see anyone lay fibre @wernervn

Screenshot 2019-08-06 at 14.21.35.png

wernervn

This is pretty awesome news. MFN or FF would have been nicer but I'll take what I can get at this point.

I'm really tired of the shaping and asynchronicity of NetHost/Level7.

Just one thing - I've been watching the lamp posts in like a hawk for aerial fibre boxes (Aerial fibre boxes), but haven't spotted any...

@Customer1 where did you get updated coverage? This is what I got:
1565108111365.png

Last edited:

DelitechITSolutions

Openserve planned to roll out mid-2019. So far there's no sign of them yet. Link Africa hasn't even applied for wayleaves with Tshwane yet. MFN will probably be done by the time either of the two gets going. Aerosud - well, that's up for grabs. Frogfoot's in the mix too as they're lighting up the new commercial development c/o Solomon Mahlangu & Van Ryneveld. [DP]

Cactus

I went to https://secure.telkom.co.za/today/ucm/
It seems that it's not actually Openserve Fibre, since the product I get when I click on it shows Link Africa and it's limit to 10Mbit - but then when I checked this morning again it's still there, but the product shows Vuma 20/10 :/

The coverage, however, looks exactly like Home Connect's Link Africa rollout for PvR - So I suspect Telkom will just be reselling them and not actually lay fibre? I don't hey.

I left Home Connect a message to ask if it's still in progress, or if we can actually apply for Fibre since Telkom shows it as completed.

Left - Telkom, Right Home Connect
Screenshot 2019-08-07 at 06.21.10.png Screenshot 2019-08-07 at 06.21.05.png

Cactus

Openserve planned to roll out mid-2019. So far there's no sign of them yet. Link Africa hasn't even applied for wayleaves with Tshwane yet. MFN will probably be done by the time either of the two gets going. Aerosud - well, that's up for grabs. Frogfoot's in the mix too as they're lighting up the new commercial development c/o Solomon Mahlangu & Van Ryneveld. [DP]
I don't care who lays Fibre, as long as someone does. Telkom's Uncapped LTE was sufficient until now, but it's time to move forward.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Just bumping this and it's a bit off topic.

Rain 5G tower is right at the entrance of Ryneveld Spar. So not sure if you guys are aware or still waiting for fibre.

Here is the 5G map for PvR

R1000 once off and then once you have it R1000 monthly uncapped. ~200-700Mbps speeds.

• Wow
Reactions: Yuu

Genisys

Honorary Master
Just bumping this and it's a bit off topic.

Rain 5G tower is right at the entrance of Ryneveld Spar. So not sure if you guys are aware or still waiting for fibre.

Here is the 5G map for PvR

R1000 once off and then once you have it R1000 monthly uncapped. ~200-700Mbps speeds.

View attachment 731045
Where did you get this map?

phoneJunky

Executive Member
Seems like the signal doesn't reach me, but I am enjoying my fiber for less than that amount. And I see that it decreased as well

rodga

Honorary Master
Damn Im in the signal area, but dont think I want fork out almost double what my tm lte costs.
Actually drove around to all the towers trying to get the locations and see what will be the best for me to point my antenna at for telkom mobile. Still getting crappy speeds, so need to play around some more with the direction.

Its weird though, because iirc pvr was one of the first areas where they trialled the uncapped lte, so Im not sure if they have ever upgraded the towers again.

Reactions: Yuu