Pierre van ryneveld ftth/ wireless fibre

Joeboy69

Expert Member
Just bumping this and it's a bit off topic.

Rain 5G tower is right at the entrance of Ryneveld Spar. So not sure if you guys are aware or still waiting for fibre.

Here is the 5G map for PvR

R1000 once off and then once you have it R1000 monthly uncapped. ~200-700Mbps speeds.

View attachment 731045

I would sign up in a heartbeat but they said they would contact me when it’s in my area .... Any ideas how else I can get to use 5G?

cavedog

Honorary Master
Damn Im in the signal area, but dont think I want fork out almost double what my tm lte costs.
Actually drove around to all the towers trying to get the locations and see what will be the best for me to point my antenna at for telkom mobile. Still getting crappy speeds, so need to play around some more with the direction.

Its weird though, because iirc pvr was one of the first areas where they trialled the uncapped lte, so Im not sure if they have ever upgraded the towers again.

If you are not sure where it is you can follow this guide to get an estimate location.

Network would be 655 and then 02 for Telkom.

Jaaks

Will eventually something might be happening with fibre in Kirkness North area. We got a pamphlet on the gate last week that Eco Earth (iirc) is going to start trenching and installing fibre boxes in our area. EVENTUALLY, but lets see how long it actually takes and how much mess they make. :)

Reactions: Yuu

martin

Expert Member
Will eventually something might be happening with fibre in Kirkness North area. We got a pamphlet on the gate last week that Eco Earth (iirc) is going to start trenching and installing fibre boxes in our area. EVENTUALLY, but lets see how long it actually takes and how much mess they make. :)

I'm in the van Deventer area. My fibre was installed on the 6th of September by MFN but it still hasn't been activated. When you query this, activation is always "two weeks" away or "very soon", if you're lucky enough to get an answer. Hopefully, your process is a little smoother.

Jaaks

I am about to switch LTE providers so will be stuck to the new provider for 6 months still. Will really hope the fibre is sorted by then.
MTN 100Gb for R 530 to replace the CellC one

Mista_Mobsta

Expert Member
I had to hop over to Telkom LTE as the CellC LTE is going out - I am in the Aerosud area. Thus far no complaints but the monthly cap does hurt when Windows decides to roll out their fun updates.
Am looking forward to hear why the counsel is so against rolling out Fibre to our extension.

rodga

Honorary Master
I am about to switch LTE providers so will be stuck to the new provider for 6 months still. Will really hope the fibre is sorted by then.
MTN 100Gb for R 530 to replace the CellC one
I get quite good speeds on mtn
Max was 183Mbps download, but then again I can see the tower from my window

rodga

Honorary Master
If you are not sure where it is you can follow this guide to get an estimate location.

Network would be 655 and then 02 for Telkom.

Thanks, will check it out
I have all the locations, just need to find the time to get up on the roof to rotate the antenna and do some tests.

Should I be doing tests during peak times? Say from 6-9pm? As thats when I get really bad speeds

cavedog

Honorary Master
Did some speedtest with Rain 5G in the parking area at Spar Ryneveld.

Decent speeds from that 5G tower. :D

screenshot_20191103-103349_samsung-internet-jpg.734449

Cactus

*bump* @DelitechITSolutions , any news on the Aerosud area?
I asked them earlier this week and this was the response:

Hello [name], ADSL and VDSL is being discontinued by Telkom, and based on the number of Rain cancellations we see, Rain isn't performing nearly as well as one would expect. We were just in time with the fibre it seems. As for the other side of PvR, it depends on what you mean.

If you mean Aerosud, MFN does not have immediate plans due to Openserve initially indicating they would be rolling out aerial fibre in 2019. Openserve appears to have abandoned their plans, stating that the Aerosud area is now an LTE focus area. We are talking to Frogfoot who is rolling out to the new Atterbury development. Our discussions with MFN are also ongoing. If you mean the area between Spitfire and Mustang (between Van Ryneveld and the R21), there are most definitely plans, however, MFN doesn't have council approval to roll out yet. MFN is piloting a high speed wireless alternative directly backhauled to fibre along Mirage - if successful, this will roll out to the other streets as an interim solution.

Their response of downplaying rain is actually amusing, considering what @cavedog posted above.

cavedog

Honorary Master
I asked them earlier this week and this was the response:

Their response of downplaying rain is actually amusing, considering what @cavedog posted above.

Well not sure about 4G but the 5G tower is flying. 700Mbps+ download speed and upload speed peaked at 80Mbps. From my tests around Centurion the tower in PvR was the fastest. Even though the map shows a limited blue circle the coverage does extend past both the N1 and R21.

DelitechITSolutions

"Their response of downplaying rain is actually amusing, considering what @cavedog posted above." - Two quick responses (1) It *always* depends on your exact location. We have people in Jim Verster getting 1mbps on Telkom LTE, and people just around the corner getting 30mbps on Telkom LTE - same time, same date, same package. same router, same tower. (2) Post your speed test results 8 months down the line. If it remains sustainable, we'll consider offering Rain again. Until then, no dice, because we are left to foot the bill if people cancel their contracts, and we can't afford that as a micro ISP.

As for Upper Kirkness, roll out has commenced. Remember, until the network is signed off, you have two options to get *early access* to fibre - (1) sign up with MFN, free line install, paid activation, MFN pricing; (2) sign up with Delitech, paid line install, paid activation, Delitech pricing; We're very happy to see things are coming together for this part of PvR. Next up will be the area between Van Ryneveld/Spitfire and the R21.

"any news on the Aerosud area?" - As pointed out above, no news on Aerosud. Except that we've piqued MFN's interest in rolling out to Proctor Park. Lots more discussions to follow, but if they take on Proctor Park, they will pretty much see the value in rolling out to that entire area.

"When you query this, activation is always "two weeks" away or "very soon" - The "E" in ETA stands for Estimated. The ETA is *always* network provider dependent. :) The *current* ETA for the first activations in the Dan Pienaar/Van Deventer area is this week. Again, based on the *latest* information provided by MFN.

On the topic of ETA, the ETA for the first activations in Upper Kirkness is around February 2020. All depends on how much work gets done before MFN shuts down mid December for their holiday break.

[DP]

Last edited:

DelitechITSolutions

"Did some speedtest with Rain 5G in the parking area at Spar Ryneveld. Decent speeds from that 5G tower. " -
We used to do this when Rain first launched in PvR back in the day. Record speed achieved in 2017 was 98mbps at 20.30 using a B618. Two years later (March 2019), a dismal 3mbps. I sincerely hope history doesn't repeat itself. At least the technology has improved quite a bit, so there's that. :)

[DP]

cavedog

Honorary Master
"Did some speedtest with Rain 5G in the parking area at Spar Ryneveld. Decent speeds from that 5G tower. " -
We used to do this when Rain first launched in PvR back in the day. Record speed achieved in 2017 was 98mbps at 20.30 using a B618. Two years later (March 2019), a dismal 3mbps. I sincerely hope history doesn't repeat itself. At least the technology has improved quite a bit, so there's that. :)

[DP]

Yeah 5G on Rain is pretty decent. The 4G from the same tower is something to puke about. Probably congested. 5G on the other hand totally underutilized. R1 000 uncapped is not a bad price either.

wernervn

"any news on the Aerosud area?" - As pointed out above, no news on Aerosud. Except that we've piqued MFN's interest in rolling out to Proctor Park. Lots more discussions to follow, but if they take on Proctor Park, they will pretty much see the value in rolling out to that entire area.

Thanks for the feedback @DelitechITSolutions

Please feel free to post Aerosud-related updates at any time you have new information. Some of us were very disappointed that nothing happened in 2019, so we're keenly anticipating developments in 2020 ;-)

Mista_Mobsta

Expert Member
@cavedog @DelitechITSolutions
Is there any chance the RAIN 5G would pick up as far as the Aerosud area? Melville/Brand/Jim Verster/Beauchamp Proctor etc?
I am running Telkom LTE and getting some good DL and UL but it does get a bit congested during peak times.

DelitechITSolutions

Our management team suspended Rain sales quite some time ago so we have no stats on Rain's 5G performance as such in the Aerosud area. Perhaps one of the existing users can test and revert. Someone should also check out whether the new Rain service is tower locked - would be nice to know, since the new MTN LTE service appears to be tower locked (and limited to a specific range of routers!). We're wary of anything wireless due to performance issues kicking in as more subscribers tag along, hence the reason our wireless deployment with MFN along Spitfire will focus a single 5G beam down each street. To see our original FibreWave in action, go check out Mirage Street!

Last edited:
Reactions: Yuu